Is this Audio Technica M50 fake?
Mar 8, 2011 at 11:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

bonafidesky

New Head-Fier
Hi forum, 
I've been looking to buy a pair of M50 for the longest time and finally I made my decision to buy from this US seller on Ebay. I am well aware that there are plenty of fake headphones out there. It seems like this particular pair is no exception. The headphones have horrible build, everything feels cheap and flimsy. I took bunch of pictures for you experts to be the judge. Please let me know what you opinions are. 

IMG_0964.jpg

IMG_0966.jpg

IMG_0968.jpg

IMG_0969.jpg

IMG_0970.jpg

IMG_0973.jpg

IMG_0974.jpg

IMG_0976.jpg

IMG_0977.jpg

IMG_0978.jpg

IMG_0979.jpg

IMG_0980.jpg

IMG_0982.jpg

IMG_0983.jpg

IMG_0984.jpg

IMG_0985.jpg

IMG_0986.jpg

IMG_0987.jpg

IMG_0989.jpg

Mar 9, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #2 of 26
I don't think so.  At least visually they look the same as mine.  and I think I know where you are coming with them being a little "flimsy".  It has that feeling because of the joints and the fact that the drivers rotate in every direction.  Are they used?

Mar 9, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #3 of 26
looks used... or....

*edit

i dont have an ath m50, i have an m30 and the build quality is really sleek.

Mar 9, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #5 of 26
contact AT.

Mar 9, 2011 at 2:48 AM Post #7 of 26
send it to AT for a new pair.

Mar 9, 2011 at 3:19 AM Post #8 of 26

Quote:
Those look fake to me. My bag is made of a soft pleathery-ish material. The L/R indicators look VERY poorly made. The thing looks like its about to fall apart.

Exactly my thought. Around the edge is extremely dull and rough like it was randomly sanded down with sandpaper.

Quote:
send it to AT for a new pair.

I bought it from Ebay. Do they take fake stuff and give me authentic?

This is a brand new pair of headphone. The reason why it looks used is because the box isn't in the best shape so there are tiny dusts everywhere. The pictures on the box look like they were scanned from the original so the color is not true. Can I have some more inputs please?

Mar 9, 2011 at 3:22 AM Post #9 of 26
I have the white box version of the m50's. Your pictures seem to indicate very suspicious build quality compared to what I have. Maybe you just got a really screw**d up used pair lol. How do they sound though?

Mar 9, 2011 at 3:46 AM Post #10 of 26
They look old in the pic due to the dusts but they are new. They sound horrible though.

Guys, my M50 doesn't come with the warranty paper like this dude got in the video. Plus the white paper in the video was folded three times, my white paper folds only once.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN2F3HrEKvk&feature=related

Mar 9, 2011 at 4:21 AM Post #11 of 26
Hey, I wanna weigh in on this and tell you that those are 100% fake!!!
First indication that I saw was the top headband has lots of bulges/bumps and wrinkles (as if it isn't stuffed enough) and the sewing job leaves a big gap where as the real ATH-M50, you can hardly see the sewing.
2nd, the plastic is cheap and seems like it can fall apart any minute.
3rd, the earpads look horrible and cheap.

Now, Since you know they are fake, you can be 200% sure by opening them up.
When you open up you should see one of the 2 following images:
This if it is Genuine:

or this if it is Fake:

Also, take note of the head support thing. The sewing is a good indication of real or not.
The genuine ATH-M50 has a very small and almost non visible sewing job on the head support/headband whatever u wanna call it..
Genuine:

And Fake:

Notice how the sewing on the real one(upper image) is more tight and more accurate unlike the fake(lower image).

Mar 9, 2011 at 10:37 AM Post #12 of 26
Defnitely a fake, your doesnt have those tiny ridges too.

edit: is it only me or i can't see my display pic after i updated it ?

Mar 9, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #14 of 26
Those things look like crap compared to mine. You can tell what kind of condition they are in just by looking at the box. Send those things back now! Why not just buy a pair off Amazon or something?

Mar 9, 2011 at 11:03 AM Post #15 of 26
The tolerances for how the parts fit together is much lower on your sample than on my known genuine M50 (bought from B&H). The material under my headband doesn't bunch-up as yours appears to do. The corners of the Audio-Technica logo triangles on my pair are sharply acute, whereas yours look slightly rounded off. Your box is completely, totally different.

On the other hand, mine were produced in 2010, which might account for some differences. Maybe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back