is this an Ebay scam? re: Wadia
May 12, 2004 at 2:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

jefemeister

Headphoneus Supremus
I always keep my eye out for Wadia being mentioned on the internet (for those that don't know I work there). Recently I came across a guy with 21 Wadia 27i DACs on Ebay starting at $800 each. He has no feedback and he requires you to email him before you bid. So this is what I sent:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Me
I'm interested in bidding on your Wadia 27i. I'm also
wondering if you meant to post 21 seperate auctions for them. Do
you have more than one available? I'm also interested in their
new/used/cosmetic condition. Do they include all the options
such as cone feet, remote, power cord, original box, manual, etc.
Are some in better condition that others? Are they known to be
27i as opposed to 27ix or 27ix3? What AC voltages are they set
up for? Thanks.

And this is what I got back:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seller
Do you want a buy it now price ? They are complete.

Best regards,

Enso Shops LTD

Offices in London, UK
Warehouses London, UK and New York, United States
Phone/FAX: 00440116396977
E-mail: office@ensoshops.com
Web: http://www.ensoshops.com

Doesn't seem to know a whole lot about the product, huh? I'm obviously not interested in buying one. I am thinking of alterting Ebay to a possible scam. I also have to ask around tomorrow and see if anyone can shed some light on this. There is no way someone bought 21 of our DACs used without me noticing. Whether by internet or print.

Anyone know anything or have any input? Has anyone heard of "Enso Shops"? This whole thing smacks of those "pyramid scheme" auctions but remains very odd.

edit: Just noticed that half the auctions are under one seller and half are under another. The auction pages are identical though.

May 12, 2004 at 2:35 AM Post #2 of 16
That auction reeks of a scam. You would hope a buyer would be reasonable enough not to send money out of the country to a seller with no feedback and a website as non-descript as that Ensoshops BS.

May 12, 2004 at 2:49 AM Post #3 of 16
Check out his items for sale

All high dollar items, and 817 posted within a day (no bids yet on most).

May 12, 2004 at 3:06 AM Post #6 of 16
thanks zach, I actually didn't even think to check his other auctions. Duh. Anyway it's clearly a scam situation and I'll have one of our admin folks deal with it tomorrow morning.

May 12, 2004 at 4:21 AM Post #7 of 16
These auctions smell so scam and foul like I am surprised eBay didn't catch it. HAHAHAHAHA, right, like eBay cares at all about who posts what for sale, and who gets scammed big time. Why don't they have monitors in their software that alert them when someone with zero feedbacks posts almost $100,000 worth of stuff for sale like this? Sheesh, I guess it pays to stick with reputable sellers, but someone is going to bid on this stuff and get taken for a ride.

May 12, 2004 at 10:25 AM Post #9 of 16
Why do they only list what appears to be a mobile phone number?

Just checked the links listed in the previous posts and currently this seller hasn't got any items for sale

May 12, 2004 at 10:55 AM Post #10 of 16
UPS shipping? No one uses UPS or FedEx in the UK. In their contact info customer address defaults to the US? A UK company who customer base is most in the US ... hmm. The IP address for ensoshops is 64.94.117.8 is a US address too.

The postcode "SE3 8RE" does not not even exist according to streetmap.co.uk, multimap.com, or even royalmail. Theres no road called "dover house" (theres a "dover house road" in SW15 though, which is south west london and not south east).

May 12, 2004 at 12:42 PM Post #11 of 16
A simple search has revealed that this guy lives in Virginia Beach, VA.

The website was only created on 25 April, he's registered under a hotmail address.

That Security link just takes you to a site that does secure service, it's not registered to anything.

There is NO WAY that this site is legit.

May 12, 2004 at 1:34 PM Post #13 of 16
this is pretty cool haha, good job guys

May 12, 2004 at 2:28 PM Post #14 of 16
yep, all the auctions are gone now. I found a link where someone else talks about Enso Shops being a scam.

May 12, 2004 at 4:12 PM Post #15 of 16
I put up an auction a while back, shortly after I moved from Sweden to Spain. Before doing so I changed my email address, shipping address and CC all to my new Spanish ones. The idiots closed my auction 3 times and suspended my account 3 times, saying they thought it had been hijacked as I hadn't used in a 2 months...
confused.gif

Not once did they ever email or phone me to ask me if the thing was hijacked, until I wrote to one single ebay person 15 times and wiped the floor with him: then he called me on my cell phone, apologised profusely and refunded my fees. It didn't jolly well help much, though, 'cause the auctions were always closed in the last hour or a 10 day auction and all had reached good prices....then pumf!! Gone!!
pissed.gif
I'm a relatively mild-mannered person, but this really got my gander!!
evil_lol.gif

aaaaaagghh!
teardrop.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back