Is this a wise decision?
Mar 12, 2006 at 6:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

wnewport

1000+ Head-Fier
As of now I am planning on buying 50 ohm hd595's to go with my 5g ipod and pa2v2. I also would like to eventually get a millet hybrid to hook up to my av710 to listen to both hd595 and sr80. Most of my music is above 192 VBR with a lot of it at 224+kpbs.

I've read a lot of different threads that state two contrasting ideas. One is that the hd595's do not benefit with an amp, and the other is that it is total bliss.
confused.gif

I am not sure if this is overkill (headphones vs. my music, amp vs. my headphones). I am also wondering if the 120 ohm version of the hd595's would be a better choice for me.

Mar 13, 2006 at 2:08 AM Post #2 of 5
In my opinion the overall quality of the 595s do not justify the usual "loading up" on amps and fancy cables etc. The drivers just aren't worth it. Personally owning 555+595+600, my suggestion would be to either get the 595s and leave it there, or get fancier phones to start off with if you're going to spend money on extra bits later on
smily_headphones1.gif

I also expect you may be disappointed when comparing 595 with your 580s.

120 ohm will just make them less versatile: you'll need your ipod amped. Even if you're amping any way, you can happily plug the 50ohm ones straight into the ipod when your amp is out of batteries...

Mar 13, 2006 at 4:51 AM Post #4 of 5
I'm very interested in all the praise about 595s because I just don't get it. I can't see any benefit over 600s with any music I've heard, unless you're unamped, and I've spent several hours juggling 555/595/600 around as they're all right here on my desk.

Can you suggest songs where you prefer the 595 sound or where there are any benefits?

I'd like to hear the 595s with the Cardas cable as per HeadRoom's modification...

Of course, as always, I understand it's a matter of taste
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 13, 2006 at 6:45 AM Post #5 of 5
Heres another waty to look at it....

I have never heard a can that didn't improve with amplification. Even my MDRV6, HD280 and e2c improved a small but noticeable amount amped. Although the difference is probably a result of the amps coloration as much as the added voltage and current reserves.

I for one would be shocked if there is no difference. The millet is a very colored amp IMHO (at least with Sylvania 12AE6As). If nothing else, you should hear the coloration provided by the tubes.

Garrett

Users who are viewing this thread

Back