Is this a good purchase?
Nov 28, 2016 at 3:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Craig234

Head-Fier
I haven't really had nice headphones, but I like quality music, so I've had my eye on better ones for some time.

I've tried some like Sennheiser 598 IIIRC, and they're ok but would like the better ones.

Finally it seems like I might have found a deal: the b stock Audeze sale, LCD-2 for $500 and Deckard amp for $380.

That seems like the right combo of quality and value - spending more is hard to justify and I hear it's where diminishing returns
kick in hard, yet it's good enough to feel really good about and last for years.

But without having heard others to compare or even these... why not bounce it off the people here?

These would be for listening to classic rock.

I hadn't thought about it but maybe they could even be used for PC gaming.

Still have to figure out what can be used for a music source (PC?)

Nov 28, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #2 of 6
Darn, no replies yet. I'm worried about them running out so I placed the order. But I'd still like feedback just for my information, and in
case there's any reason to consider a cancel or return.

Nov 28, 2016 at 10:14 PM Post #3 of 6
Personal preferences are key.

LCD-2 is:
1- Heavy and not among the most comfortable headphones around
2- It provides linear and quality bass and softened upper midrange and treble
3- It has a relatively intimate presentation with good focus.

You might like it very much or you might prefer a 200usd headphone instead.
In my experience, the best you can do is forget about price and classes and try to find the headphone that suits your preferences the best.

It's a good deal at 500usd because it's normally priced 900-1000usd, not because you are going to get 1000usd performance for 500usd since there's no such a thing as 1000usd or 500usd performance. Depending on your preferences, recordings, listening levels and mood you might prefer it or not over HD600/650/700/DT880/T90/K702/K712/DT1990/ATHs/ESP950/TH610/...

Nov 28, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #5 of 6
  Right, the problem is I have no way I know of to compare.

These go on sale new periodically for $700; the $500 price is good but is b stock with a random material.

Share two or three links (could be youtube links) with recordings you will normally hear with your new headphone for the sake of having a better reference than just 'classic rock'.

If you can name some things you've liked and don't liked about HD598 that would be useful as well.

Nov 29, 2016 at 1:09 AM Post #6 of 6
The kind of music tends to be things like The Eagles' "I can't tell you why", The Cars "Moving in Stereo", Led Zeppelin, the Who's "Love Reign O'er Me", Cantaloop, Steely Dan "Do it again", classic rock radio.

Other headphones just haven't made me say 'wow' at the clarity and energy, the 'it's like hearing the song for the first time and better than ever' effect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back