Is this a good classical introduction?
Jul 8, 2005 at 5:40 PM Post #16 of 21
The Paganini Violin Concertos are what got me hooked... I'll post a link to my thread about it in a minute.
wink.gif

EDIT: Or maybe more than a minute.
tongue.gif

Link to my Classical Intro Thread Link to my 'Paganini Breakdown' Post
biggrin.gif

Jul 8, 2005 at 6:00 PM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark from HFR
The Scherchen is okay, but the Telarc has excellent recorded sound. I'd say spring for the Telarc, you won't regret it!

Ah, but which Telarc? They have several different versions.

Jul 11, 2005 at 3:02 PM Post #19 of 21
I picked up the 1998 Telarc disc over the weekend and I like it. I think my favorite pieces are "1812 Overture" and "Marche Slave" probably because they are the most dramatic and involving. I'll probably need more time to appreciate the slower and more subtle pieces, but I'm happy with my purchase.

Jul 11, 2005 at 3:12 PM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Sarvis
You will like it a lot. Don't be surprised if the Scheherazade becomes your favorite part of the CD!

Yes, this is great music and not hard to get to know.

Scherchen's version is good - above average.

I like Stokowski's on London label slightly better.

An excellent modern version is Gergiev's on the Philips label.

I have all three.

Jul 11, 2005 at 3:13 PM Post #21 of 21
When you first start out I would just get one of ther many collections/sampler of major conductors, yourmusic.com has many collections available like this one for Tchaikovsky:
Collection

243142.jpg

This gives you broad exposure and you can follow up with purchases of whatever you like most, right now you just need to briefly try stuff out and see what you like. This is how I started about 20 years ago
k1000smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back