Is thereally a reason to have multiple portable daps?
Oct 15, 2016 at 3:47 AM Post #31 of 44
In my opinion its ok owning a few players. I've found from my own experience synergy between the player/IEM is a major area in bringing out their best performance, both player and earphone. I own 3 players, each have their own earphone they live with as 'sets' I've paired up.

Its a good way to keep yourself going in the hobby, that hunt for the ultimate pairing or synergy. 

Oct 15, 2016 at 4:00 AM Post #32 of 44
i do more prefer to have multiple iem or headphones

Oct 16, 2016 at 5:36 AM Post #35 of 44
In addition to the stuff others have mentioned, big reason for me is I like to have different collections of music on different devices... for instance I have one with a smaller storage that I use just for recent purchases and podcasts, another one with mostly favorites from the archives, another one with a mix of whatever is striking my fancy at the moment. I could obtain the same result by just rotating cards in one DAP but combined with all the other reasons this just works for me. Also spend a lot of time on the road without a PC so it's great to have backups (I know this sounds completely entitled/ridiculous/and negligent of the miracle of technology, but in the past have been stuck with the same 8GB of music for months on end, which as a musical omnivore can get really REALLY dreary rather quickly.

... and maybe a little bit of the usual audio/consumer goods-based-hobbyist's futile search for The One True Thing Of That Type Of Thing. :veryevil:

Oct 16, 2016 at 8:50 AM Post #36 of 44
I really just love electronics. I don't have any vices, so I suppose this is mine. My girl and I have a little joke/agreement. I handle electronics and sh**, she handles art and sh**.

I get to make all the fun decisions, she handles the crap I have absolutely no interest in. Works out very well for the most part. I just can't always be forthright with her. Example, we moved to this sunny hell called Florida, what will be 4 years ago in January. We left all of our electronics (TV, radio, surround sound etc.) in our house in NY. We needed to purchase new TVs.

Anyway, since I head up the electronics and sh** department, I had to buy 2 TVs. One bedroom one living room. Well, my girl grew up dirt poor, I didn't. She doesn't agree with wasting money, especially for non essentials. I purchased an open box TV to help mitigate the cost and the shock.

Needless to say I spent $1200 or $1500, I forget exactly. I told her it was less, I forget again, but either $800 or $1k. She was fairly unhappy with me spending that type of money for our bedroom TV. I was extremely happy with my purchase. :)

So in the end, since electronics and sh** is my area, I got away with it. :)

There is absolutely no point to my story, but I'm bored and wanted to share some very intimate details of our symbiotic relationship. :wink:

Oct 24, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #39 of 44
I prefer to have multiple headphones and IEM than players.

If players i would have just two , an expensive one and a cheapie one, carry to work the cheap one (and to travels too) and leave the expensive one at home.

if the cheap gets stolen you dont lose that much money (assuming you hide your uber expensive dap in the safe 
biggrin.gif
)

Oct 24, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #40 of 44
Well I discovered a reason to have multiple players. I have multiple pairs of customs and writing a review for a pair I have to compare them. Switching them out becomes a pain and would be easier to have two players and both iems set up right next to each other with same music on them so I can just do a quick switch and compare them.

Oct 24, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #41 of 44
I am ashamed to say I have four... Ashamed because I am very utilitarian, I buy things to use them, not to oggle at them. I had a Sony minidisc which worked for about 2 months... Swore off Sony until years later I came across a sexy NW-E507... Nice sound, awesome looks... Moved to Macs, with which that player doesn't work... Replaced it with an A818, great player... Came across a very cheap new in a battered box A845, very nice too... Came across an NWZ-Z1060 new at half price, couldn't resist.

The A818 and A845 work great for doing some exercise or walking. The z1060 should have been the ultimate walkman, the sound is even better and it's perfectly paired with the XBA-4, although it´s a lot bigger than the others... But it´s stuck on Android ICS and opening any app is painfully slow, apps hang, stutter, crash... So something like your pioneer player sounds good.

So for me it has been mostly by accident.

Oct 24, 2016 at 10:14 PM Post #42 of 44
There is a reason to have several portable players. Most of the most popular players on Head-Fi weigh between 3.7 ounces(Fiio X1) and around 7 ounces or so. These seem much too heavy to conveniently walk around with. They also tend to have 12 hours or less of battery life. So someone might want another player that is lighter and has longer battery life. A clip on player such as the Sandisk Clip+ or Clip Zip(or even Clip Sport)is very convenient to use while exercising, when you want something very light weight with a built in clip that you won't get too annoyed if you break. Players used while exercising are often broken from sweat or from being dropped.

I have the Fiio X1(which stays at home due to its high weight and large size), Sandisk Clip+, Clip Zip, and Clip Sport players, and the Fiio M3. I was hoping the M3 would be a good replacement for my Sandisk players for portable use(except that the M3 lacks a built in clip), although the M3 firmware still has issues.

Oct 24, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #43 of 44
I really just love electronics. I don't have any vices, so I suppose this is mine. My girl and I have a little joke/agreement. I handle electronics and sh**, she handles art and sh**.

I get to make all the fun decisions, she handles the crap I have absolutely no interest in. Works out very well for the most part. I just can't always be forthright with her. Example, we moved to this sunny hell called Florida, what will be 4 years ago in January. We left all of our electronics (TV, radio, surround sound etc.) in our house in NY. We needed to purchase new TVs.

Anyway, since I head up the electronics and sh** department, I had to buy 2 TVs. One bedroom one living room. Well, my girl grew up dirt poor, I didn't. She doesn't agree with wasting money, especially for non essentials. I purchased an open box TV to help mitigate the cost and the shock.

Needless to say I spent $1200 or $1500, I forget exactly. I told her it was less, I forget again, but either $800 or $1k. She was fairly unhappy with me spending that type of money for our bedroom TV. I was extremely happy with my purchase.
smily_headphones1.gif

So in the end, since electronics and sh** is my area, I got away with it.
smily_headphones1.gif

There is absolutely no point to my story, but I'm bored and wanted to share some very intimate details of our symbiotic relationship.
wink.gif

I can relate lol. Whenever I show up with a new gadget my parents and lady know that my answer to "how much did that cost?" is always a few hundred short.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back