Is there USB-powered amp+dac that is also powerful (some extra points inside)
Oct 26, 2014 at 11:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

ZzBOG

100+ Head-Fier
Hi people,

What are some best Amp+DACs that can be powered straight from USB? 

Portability does not really matter (but I assume such device would be small enough to carry around). Word "best" implies that It should be able to drive demanding headphones (I have Q701 and looking to get either HD800 or LCD-2 for example). 

Extra props if someone can recommend a tube-based device. 

So far I found Jaben's Tube+ to be N1 contender:
http://jaben.net/shopping2/Porta-Tube_Plus.html

Oct 26, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #2 of 18
  Hi people,

Portability does not really matter (but I assume such device would be small enough to carry around). Word "best" implies that It should be able to drive demanding headphones (I have Q701 and looking to get either HD800 or LCD-2 for example). 

well a good number of portable Dac/Amps can drive both the HD 800 and LCD 2 to sufficent volumes. I would say for the HD 800 tubes a HOY, for the LCD 2 go Solid State 

OH hey I know :D the iBasso DB2 and PB2 Stack, the PB2 on High Gain will do like 2.2wpc [I own the pb2] and It drives my HE 4 very well on Medium Gain actually, so I think the DB2/PB2 combo would work really well for you. You get a fully balanced System for like $700 ish and it's portable AND AND AND it can drive almost anything. You can also swap in different OP amps to the PB2 to change the sound color a little bit

Oct 26, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #3 of 18
  well a good number of portable Dac/Amps can drive both the HD 800 and LCD 2 to sufficent volumes. I would say for the HD 800 tubes a HOY, for the LCD 2 go Solid State 

OH hey I know :D the iBasso DB2 and PB2 Stack, the PB2 on High Gain will do like 2.2wpc [I own the pb2] and It drives my HE 4 very well on Medium Gain actually, so I think the DB2/PB2 combo would work really well for you. You get a fully balanced System for like $700 ish and it's portable AND AND AND it can drive almost anything. You can also swap in different OP amps to the PB2 to change the sound color a little bit

What is HOY? Really hope its a name of amp+dac but something tells me its an acronum like FYI.

I see PB2 has DC input - so it's not USB powered?

Oct 26, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #4 of 18
  Hi people,

USB might not be able to provide that much current - easier to get a DAC-HPamp powered by a battery but can take digital USB inputs, or hcarges through USB. Many decent portable DAC-HPamps can power the Q701, maybe the HD800, but I'm not sure about the LCD-2.

You might want to look into the Ibasso D6 - it has a lot of power and there's a switch on the back labelled "Batt (switch) USB." Not sure exactly how it works on either setting, but I suppose it's possible it can run totally from USB power, although I'm not sure if it retains its output levels. Past that there's the RSA Intruder - slimmer but has balanced amplification.

Oct 26, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #5 of 18
  What is HOY? Really hope its a name of amp+dac but something tells me its an acronum like FYI.

I see PB2 has DC input - so it's not USB powered?

Yea you have to charge it. If your using something that is exclusively USB, I promise you there will be something providing DC Current to that USB Powered Device. Hence you can charge your amp with that DC Current

though your definition of portable and mine may varry... I have a small bag I throw on my back that carries all my Cords and what not inside that bag is a semi hard Case that carries my Headphones and DAP 

Oct 26, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #8 of 18

though your definition of portable and mine may varry... I have a small bag I throw on my back that carries all my Cords and what not inside that bag is a semi hard Case that carries my Headphones and DAP 

well its for laptop use really, so being able to carry is really least important.

The CEntrance Hifi-M8 is a very good battery powered portable DAC/amp.

Thank you! Did not know about this one

Oct 26, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #9 of 18

well its for laptop use really, so being able to carry is really least important.

Thank you! Did not know about this one

That's what I Figured, Lap Top use, so when you Charge your lap top just slap on the AC/DC for the Portable Amp/Dac I enjoyed the pb1 db1 stack when I had it, and I love my PB2. I think for a portable rig it's going to be a hard one to beat. Fully Balanced more more powerful than anything on the market [you can scale that power down nicely as well] gives you a choice of going for something like Hard to Drive Dynamics or Harder to Drive Orthos Though it is two units 

The HiFi M8 I've not heard but it does get some nice reviews :3 

Oct 26, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #10 of 18
Just my 2 cents: the portable balanced amps are nice, if you already have balanced cables for your headphones or iems. If you don't already have balanced cables for your headphones, or your headphone can't be wired for balanced use, you won't get the full benefit of something like the Ibasso PB2 or the RSA Intruder mentioned above. The CEntrance M8 outputs up to 1.5 W (max), which is more than enough to drive most headphones. 

Oct 26, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #11 of 18
  Just my 2 cents: the portable balanced amps are nice, if you already have balanced cables for your headphones or iems. If you don't already have balanced cables for your headphones, or your headphone can't be wired for balanced use, you won't get the full benefit of something like the Ibasso PB2 or the RSA Intruder mentioned above. The CEntrance M8 outputs up to 1.5 W (max), which is more than enough to drive most headphones. 

Oh yea I totally forgot about the cost of getting everything you own rewired to be balanced q.Q' 

ehm, then yea the M8 at 1.5 Wpc should be fine 

Oct 31, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #12 of 18

+1 for the Centrance M8.

Battery lasts several hours, and 1000mw power drives my LCD2F phones in balanced mode. Battery eliminates any possible power supply issues.

I use my iPod Touch 4 with FLACPlayer for portable. Standard Apple 30pin to USB cable. Or Monoprice 4" equivalent.
Limited to 16/44, but sounds sweet.

I use my desktop PC running Foobar2000 to the UBS-B for higher res FLAC files.

Very satisfied

Nov 2, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #14 of 18

+1 for the Centrance M8.

Battery lasts several hours, and 1000mw power drives my LCD2F phones in balanced mode. Battery eliminates any possible power supply issues.

loved my M8 for a year, but truly love the iFi micro iDSD more.

Feature rich with filters, more power for even HE-560 yet also better matching (no hiss!) with every IEM also.
Combined with a USB port allowing a single Apple CCK cable to iDevices, bingo.
Not to mention the dual mono DAC clarity and musicality as well,
Pure genius.

Nov 2, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #15 of 18
loved my M8 for a year, but truly love the iFi micro iDSD more.

Feature rich with filters, more power for even HE-560 yet also better matching (no hiss!) with every IEM also.
Combined with a USB port allowing a single Apple CCK cable to iDevices, bingo.
Not to mention the dual mono DAC clarity and musicality as well,
Pure genius.

Just curious, how big is the iFi micro iDSD? I didn't find any size/dimension specs posted for it, and it looks like something not easily used on the go. The CEntrance HiFi-M8 is already pretty large for a portable DAC/amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back