Is there something wrong with this MG Head OTL?
Sep 9, 2002 at 11:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Vitalstatistix

100+ Head-Fier
Ok let me try to describe this. The only "anomaly" seems to lie with the silver switch which is situated between the volume knob and the "transformer" headphone jack.

More about the silver switch:

At the up position it says "On". The word "Feedback" appears immediately below the "on" word.

At the down side, there's nothing on it. Just blank.

I understand that by switching the feedback on i.e. silver switch on the up position, the negative feedback loop activates and I get "cleaner" sound when used via the "transformer" jack. Apparently the silver switch has no effect whatsoever if the "OTL" jack is used.

Ok ok here's my problem: when I flip the silver switch down (to the "blank" position which I presume to mean "Feedback Off"), I don't hear anything from the "Transformer" jack!! Is that a problem or am I supposed to leave feedback on 100% of the time when I listen through the "transformer" jack?
confused.gif
confused.gif

Sep 9, 2002 at 11:31 AM Post #2 of 10
Another related question:

Does anyone prefer to turn feedback off when listening via the "transformer" jack?

Just wondering, if feedback is a good thing, then I don't mind the MG Head in its condition now.

Cheers!

Sep 9, 2002 at 11:47 AM Post #3 of 10
hi Vitalstatistix! so you got the MG Head OTL! did you obtain the MG Head from that store in sydney?

sorry i cant help you in your questions.

Sep 9, 2002 at 11:52 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by taoster
hi Vitalstatistix! so you got the MG Head OTL! did you obtain the MG Head from that store in sydney?

Yes I did! He's actually in the process of moving the store to St Ives. I asked about his background and he told me that he used to be an experimental scientist with the CSIRO in ultrasonics. Well he's certainly in the right field then.
smily_headphones1.gif
The amp is very well built i.e. no crooked face plate. It's very slightly lopsided - that happens with hand manufacturing process.

Instead of asking him the question, I wanted to know from others first. To clear up any misunderstandings you see.

Sep 9, 2002 at 12:12 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Nick Dangerous
My favorite modes are OTL/no feedback and rarely Transformer w/no feedback.

Well, my problem is I can't even hear a thing when listening via the transformer jack WITH feedback. Heck, I can't even tell the difference with or without feedback via the OTL jack.
frown.gif

Sep 9, 2002 at 12:20 PM Post #7 of 10
Something's wrong with the amp if you get no sound with the feedback switch on.

You are correct that the feedback switch seems to have no effect when using the OTL jack. I notice little/no difference on mine too. But the difference on the transformer jack is definite.

KJP

Sep 9, 2002 at 1:30 PM Post #9 of 10
I have the MG Head OTL with the two 1/4-inch jacks (one labeled TRANSFORMER, one labeled OTL), and the switch labeled "Feed back ON". The strange thing with mine is, when plugged into the transformer jack, the feedback switch in the "ON" position is louder than with it "OFF". Everything I read indicates it should be the opposite. I wonder if my switch is wired backwards.

As for Vitalstatistix's problem, I'm guessing a wire to the feedback switch came loose or was never connected, which could cause no sound with the switch in that position. This is only a guess though since I don't have a schematic.

KJP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back