Is there scientific evidence that "Pink Noise"-Burn-In changes the sound?
Oct 27, 2010 at 11:37 AM Post #226 of 304

Quote:
I'm highly skeptical of any conclusive measurements made with a radioshack device.

I believe that if it is not measurable it then credibility is in question and to prove significance a clear
and defined position must be established if you desire to step above the quagmire of voodoo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yeAquRyJiw

Oct 27, 2010 at 12:04 PM Post #228 of 304
Albedo: That link is rather entertaining, thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

After watching the video and reading his comments it does seem like he did do a good job of minimizing the effect that his equipment may have had. My original comment was based on my experience with radioshack measurement tools, which have tolerances that are difficult enough to work with that I'd be skeptical of calling any result produced with one as "conclusive". His test is nonetheless a good point of data.

I'm rather ambivalent about the whole issue of burn-in and treat the whole deal as a stress test of sorts. I personally run any new driver/headphone through a break-in test for a while to make sure the device isn't defective then call it a day and enjoy the music
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:
I believe that if it is not measurable it then credibility is in question and to prove significance a clear
and defined position must be established if you desire to step above the quagmire of voodoo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yeAquRyJiw

Oct 27, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #230 of 304
That was actually directed at Albedo. Your youtube link was interesting as well, but not as funny as Albedo's link.

As a side note (very very generally speaking) I find it amazing how emotional some folks get about the issue. Just look at the youtube video comments

Oct 27, 2010 at 12:31 PM Post #232 of 304
Quote:
That was actually directed at Albedo. Your youtube link was interesting as well, but not as funny as Albedo's link.

As a side note I find it amazing how emotional some folks get about the issue.

I have some cables from that company and knowing Swedish law to some degree.., it would be funny suing them for those proof on directionality and refute their patents. Though.. I don't get too emotional as Supra Cables are rather cheap compared to the more exotic ones.

-

Haven't heard anything about X-jays kiteki, neither in Swedish or English written form.

Oct 27, 2010 at 12:33 PM Post #233 of 304

"Is there scientific evidence that "Pink Noise"-Burn-In changes the sound?"

The greatest minds on Head Fi have failed to succinctly answer this question. As have the greatest minds in the world (Steven Hawking et al). I now approach history’s greatest arbitrator and here are its responses;

[size=24.0pt]●[/size][size=13.0pt]As I see it, yes[/size]
[size=24.0pt]●[/size][size=13.0pt]It is certain[/size]
[size=24.0pt]●[/size][size=13.0pt]It is decidedly so[/size]
[size=24.0pt]●[/size][size=13.0pt]Most likely[/size]
[size=24.0pt]●[/size][size=13.0pt]Outlook good[/size]
[size=24.0pt]●[/size][size=13.0pt]Signs point to yes[/size]
[size=24.0pt]●[/size][size=13.0pt]Without a doubt[/size]
[size=24.0pt]●[/size][size=13.0pt]Yes[/size]
[size=24.0pt]●[/size][size=13.0pt]Yes – definitely[/size]
[size=24.0pt]●[/size][size=13.0pt]You may rely on it[/size]
[size=24.0pt]●[/size][size=13.0pt]Reply hazy, try again[/size]
[size=24.0pt]●[/size][size=13.0pt]Ask again later[/size]
[size=24.0pt]●[/size][size=13.0pt]Better not tell you now[/size]
[size=24.0pt]●[/size][size=13.0pt]Cannot predict now[/size]
[size=24.0pt]●[/size][size=13.0pt]Concentrate and ask again[/size]
[size=24.0pt]●[/size][size=13.0pt]Don't count on it[/size]
[size=24.0pt]●[/size][size=13.0pt]My reply is no[/size]
[size=24.0pt]●[/size][size=13.0pt]My sources say no[/size]
[size=24.0pt]●[/size][size=13.0pt]Outlook not so good[/size]
[size=24.0pt]●[/size][size=13.0pt]Very doubtful[/size]

[size=13.0pt]Meet the world’s greatest arbitrator;[/size]

File:8_ball_face.jpg

Oct 27, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #234 of 304
The Monsters from Id... but why are my link to Supra just ignored?

..would be great going to court and win over Jenving Technolgy AB, wouldn't it?

Edit: I see what you mean Nebby, but does science include psychology as hearing is also a process in the brain?
(as those with Absolute Pitch have the same physical ears as others).

Oct 27, 2010 at 12:43 PM Post #235 of 304
Once again I really don't see the issue in testing this.

1. buy three earphones. label them X, Y and Z.

2. confirm they all sound the same, if yes: proceed to 3.

3. burn-in X for a week.

4. compare X and Y, do they sound the same? If no: proceed to 5.

5.  present X, Y and Z to a testing commitee of 20 people, let each tester listen to all three, and decide which one has received the burn-in.

6.  Compile results, how many people picked X?

Test complete.

Oct 27, 2010 at 2:19 PM Post #236 of 304
I wish the study would be as simple as you hope. However...

1. Different headphones are said to break-in to different extents, especially phones with larger diaphragms, which are said to exhibit higher levels of break-in. It would, for example, be less than fruitful to break in, say, a Sennheiser PXC250. The larger, more sensitive headphones will likely provide the most satisfying results. Obviously, they're also going to be more expensive.
2. It would be useful to control for differences in batch. For example, some have noted differences between K701s separated by time, since they have variations in materials and, possibly, workmanship.
3. Once you've broken in the phones, the issue of judging sound is a potential problem. Even if you've deliberately switched diaphragms in some of your headphones, user ratings will make it difficult to get significant results; that is, to the <.05 level. The best solution would be take readings of the headphones themselves, and determine if changes are noted in the readings. (Studies on speakers showed differences pre- and post-break-in.) More than a few have claimed, however, that tests haven't yet devised to compare the full range of potential sound differences.
4. Given the controversial nature of the subject, it would of course be necessary to perform multiple studies on different headphones, as headphones are said to vary on their break-in. Although possibly expensive, this could really bolster the reliability of the results.

It's not my intention to trample on your idea, because the idea of validating break-in is quite laudable. But disagree on one point: testing headphone break-in isn't all that simple. To wit, a number of convincing studies have been performed to disprove cable break-in, but few - if any - on headphone break-in.

Oct 27, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #238 of 304
A series of blind tests on new and then broken in and then a mix of the two would help to show whether there is any difference

A - between new headphones

B - between 'broken in' ones

C - both.

I suspect that blind testing of that lot would find no consistent difference between any of them.

Oct 27, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #239 of 304
Believing or disbelieving is purely based on personal experience or skepticism.

My experience is brightness can become tamed, and fluidity can enhance, however I don't know if it's the headphones themselves, or my ears adjusting to them subconsciously and the way I process sound.

EXAMPLE:  If you listen to a pair of headphones where one side is broken, at first listen they'll sound very wrong, but if you used those headphones for half a year, you'd have fully adjusted to the broken-ness and not really notice it while you're listening to music, in this instance, the headphones didn't burn-in, your mind burnt-in!

Yada yada, either way I don't really care, there are more important things that alter sound than burn-in, and no I do not mean cables ***.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back