Is there scientific evidence that "Pink Noise"-Burn-In changes the sound?
Oct 20, 2010 at 10:48 AM Post #211 of 304

I imagine the material used in the speaker diaphragm has a reasonable impact on burn-in/break-in....

The sonic property of a crystal champagne glass, or metal turning fork, will remain the same for a very long time.

The sonic property of your sneakers will change rapidly.

Unless an extremely thin layer of a hard material like diamond or kevlar changes it's shape/hardness/elasticity to an extent which will transmit soundwaves differently, I can't imagine diamond changing with break-in... much like pair of lady shoes made out of glass.

Oct 20, 2010 at 10:59 AM Post #212 of 304
I couldn't resist...when did we move from break-in of speakers to break-in of shoes? 
bigsmile_face.gif

Quote:

The sonic property of your sneakers will change rapidly.

... much like pair of lady shoes made out of glass.

Oct 26, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #217 of 304
There isn't really a breakthrough to be had. Only way to have a definitive answer is a properly done test of drivers/headphones with a full suite of tests done to the drivers/headphones before, after, and after cool-down of burn-in. Unfortunately that's not a small task and it's unlikely anyone will volunteer to pay for drivers/headphones, test equipment, and volunteer so much of their time to do something like that. About the only person that's remotely setup to do it would be Tyll with his measurement lab, but even then there's the issue of who'll pay for the time and hardware.

Oct 27, 2010 at 4:11 AM Post #218 of 304
I hope this has been said (I haven't read the whole thread), but again a simple dbt would answer this question. Yes there are probably some absolute changes to the sound, but it's only relevant if such changes can be perceived by humans.

Oct 27, 2010 at 6:44 AM Post #219 of 304
Not nearly so simple, as you would have to make sure that the two pairs of headphones are identical in terms of frequency response out of the box to ensure that you're only testing the burn-in, not the differing frequency response due to manufacturing variances.

Quote:
I hope this has been said (I haven't read the whole thread), but again a simple dbt would answer this question. Yes there are probably some absolute changes to the sound, but it's only relevant if such changes can be perceived by humans.

Oct 27, 2010 at 9:41 AM Post #220 of 304
You could just dbt them when you first bought them, then dbt them after burn-in.

Quote:
Not nearly so simple, as you would have to make sure that the two pairs of headphones are identical in terms of frequency response out of the box to ensure that you're only testing the burn-in, not the differing frequency response due to manufacturing variances.

Oct 27, 2010 at 9:58 AM Post #221 of 304
How do the two dbt's correlate between each other then? Given that you have at least a hundred hours between each session, you will be introducing the factor of memory into the equation. Memory is terribly inaccurate
smily_headphones1.gif

Unless.....you have a time machine you haven't told us about.[/joke]

Quote:
You could just dbt them when you first bought them, then dbt them after burn-in.

Oct 27, 2010 at 10:15 AM Post #222 of 304
They don't correlate to each other at all, the two dbts are not related. First, you take the two phones and dbt them to make sure they sound the same out of the box. Then, you let one burn-in and dbt again (you're not comparing the two tests).

Quote:
How do the two dbt's correlate between each other then? Given that you have at least a hundred hours between each session, you will be introducing the factor of memory into the equation. Memory is terribly inaccurate
smily_headphones1.gif

Unless.....you have a time machine you haven't told us about.[/joke]

Oct 27, 2010 at 10:23 AM Post #223 of 304
Can the movement of earwax in the test-time also be of any importance, also wonder about the blood pressure/ pulse do effects the inner ear?

Oct 27, 2010 at 10:39 AM Post #224 of 304

Quote:
There isn't really a breakthrough to be had. Only way to have a definitive answer is a properly done test of drivers/headphones with a full suite of tests done to the drivers/headphones before, after, and after cool-down of burn-in. Unfortunately that's not a small task and it's unlikely anyone will volunteer to pay for drivers/headphones, test equipment, and volunteer so much of their time to do something like that. About the only person that's remotely setup to do it would be Tyll with his measurement lab, but even then there's the issue of who'll pay for the time and hardware.

someone on youtube called rat something did a burn-in test and found conclusive evidence in a radioshack soundwave thing

Oct 27, 2010 at 11:16 AM Post #225 of 304
I see what you mean now, thanks for the clarification. Hopefully the two phones sound the same out of the box, otherwise it'll be fun trying to get matched set.

I would also say that one could interpret the subject line of the thread as two different questions. One is whether "is there scientific evidence that...burn-in changes the sound", while the other question would be "is there scientific evidence that...burn-in audibly changes the sound." Some measurable changes in sound are not audible to the human ear, so a DBT would answer the second question, whereas a measurement test would answer the first. 

Quote:
They don't correlate to each other at all, the two dbts are not related. First, you take the two phones and dbt them to make sure they sound the same out of the box. Then, you let one burn-in and dbt again (you're not comparing the two tests).

I'm highly skeptical of any conclusive measurements made with a radioshack device.

Quote:
someone on youtube called rat something did a burn-in test and found conclusive evidence in a radioshack soundwave thing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back