Is there life after Westone4 ?
May 26, 2011 at 7:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

50mm

New Head-Fier
So, what's your poison after the W4, for universals that is....... ?
Thought this might be a fun post to end the week with............at least, the end of the week for the folks in the Asia Pacific region anyway :)

"Recent W4 convert"

May 26, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #2 of 24
BTW, my journey went like this:

Apple ibuds (I thought they were OK)
Sennheiser sports buds (kept on falling off my ears while running !)
Sennheiser CX-300 (I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread)
Jay-Q-Jays dual-driver (a new beginning............I could hear so many instruments !)
Westone 4 (OMG !!)

Could anything be better ?

May 26, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #3 of 24
So hey thanks, I'll try the Westone 4's now- do you use Comply foam tips or another type????

I started my IEM journey in a similar way and now I got some new/old, discontinued in fact- Sleek Audio SA-6's and thought I was done also but there seems to always be a better set to try or a different flavor to listen to and now I will try Westone's. I go with the flow and enjoy trying all different kinds, and I never sell the ones that really get my attention. In a few years and along the way I'll sell the others and when I get tired of trying new ones I'll have a mess of awesome IEM's!!!!!!
smile_phones.gif

May 26, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #4 of 24
I'll be sticking with my UM3X for a while, but it's hard to imagine any universal IEM that would be better than the W4.

May 26, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #5 of 24
I've gone to looking at more novel concepts like dual-diaphragm and hybrid driver phones. I love W4, think they're the best IEMs I own. But always looking for new ways to experience sound. 

Feb 6, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #6 of 24
My Westone4 is currently my favorite iem but, if I am honest with myself, my Sm3 v2. is slightly better. Music seems more alive. I am constantly A\Bing the two. Both are hands down better than my Shure Se535.

Feb 6, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #8 of 24
Improvement upon W4?  Is great and at near the top of the universal list but I would like a bit more crystal clear sparkle (with no siblance of course).  Basically take the darkness away from the presentation.

As far as another Westone flagship product?  Whether 3, 4 or 5 drivers....again, take the darkness away from W4, give it a bit more crystal clarity and it would basically sound like a JH13  let alone approaching the massive sound of a JH16.  So there's room to improve but not sure it can be done in a universal or not.

Feb 6, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:
My Westone4 is currently my favorite iem but, if I am honest with myself, my Sm3 v2. is slightly better. Music seems more alive. I am constantly A\Bing the two. Both are hands down better than my Shure Se535.

Okay, I have to ask (and I'm not being sarcastic); why isn't the “slightly better IEM” your favorite?

Feb 6, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Funny how subjective this hobby can be. I had the Westone 4R's and found them perfect, but boring. On the other hand, the SE535's were much more alive to me, especially for classic jazz. The 535's have a sound signature, essentially mid-forward, that is perfect for jazz. Cheers!
beerchug.gif

Feb 7, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #12 of 24
The Westone 4 is awesome technically but is boring to these ears as well.  I don't think the SM3 is better but I certainly enjoy them more.  If you want the W4 with fuller body and sparkle on the top end the SM64 is for you.  It is a better IEM subjectively than the SM3 & W4.  I have the first version.  The one produced now has less impedance & less treble energy.  I'm sure it's even better but I'd wait for some reviews.

The TG334 is the pinnacle of what an IEM can be but the price is dumb (and I have one which makes me...)

Feb 7, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #13 of 24
When/if I ever need hearing aids though, Westone is probably the first brand I'd turn to, since the 4R's were just so natural sounding. Great for life, not so much for jazz. (for me that is)

Feb 7, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #14 of 24
Everyone I've known who uses/used a Westone 4 now uses the FitEar To Go! 334. That's for universals, anyway. Also the Tralucent 1plus2 is another option but I suggest you test it before because it isn't everyone's cup of tea... :)

Feb 7, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #15 of 24
Is TG334 really the logical next step from W4? To me the frequency response looks may more coloured, plus considering the price I would rather risk losing $600 on resale of customs, but maybe that is crazy also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back