Is there anything like The Mars Volta?
Mar 11, 2006 at 5:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

kwitel

Headphoneus Supremus
Am listening to "De-Loused" after taking a little hiatus...just amazing how good this album is.
I remember when I heard these guys for the first time, it made no sense to me whatsoever. Now, they are IMO one of the most interesting and talented bands around.
Is there anything else out there close to their sound?
Maybe something that had a similar effect on you; didnt make sense at first but is now musical genius?
I dont have any of the "At the Drive-In" albums either...whats their sound like? Anything remotely similar to TMV?

I just love the jazzy/jam sessions...someone recommended The Mahavishnu Orchestra to me...

Mar 11, 2006 at 7:05 AM Post #2 of 13
Although you may really enjoy the At the Drive In records, their sound is very much different from Mars Volta. ATDI is much more straight ahead and focused- owing more to traditional song structure, whereas Mars Volta is more prog rock with the jammy / jazzy side. I'll let you decide which you prefer. I've never seen Mars Volta live, but I did see ATDI several times and to this day I can still say they were the most entertaining and energetic band I've ever seen. Absolutely jaw dropping. As for a good headphone listen, I may prefer Mars Volta.

Mar 11, 2006 at 1:43 PM Post #3 of 13
Early Santana. When you hear it, you'll hear the influence. I've really been getting into his "ecstatic" phase. Check out Caravanserai, the album that killed his career from the early 70's. It's incredible, magical. Get the 2003 remastered edition, it sounds fantastic.

Mar 12, 2006 at 10:41 AM Post #4 of 13
I've tried to listen to some TMV stuff, but each time I just can't even listen to a song in its entirety without getting bored from a seeming lack of entertainment. Sure noodling around with proficiency on your instrument is great if the audience is under the influence of a psychoactive drug, but otherwise..
biggrin.gif
I'll probably listen harder.

Mar 12, 2006 at 11:27 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Bounce
I've tried to listen to some TMV stuff, but each time I just can't even listen to a song in its entirety without getting bored from a seeming lack of entertainment. Sure noodling around with proficiency on your instrument is great if the audience is under the influence of a psychoactive drug, but otherwise..
biggrin.gif

I agree. I was told I would love them so I gave them a chance and, wow, I thought it was just noise. If the hype holds I may give them another chance down the road.

Mar 12, 2006 at 5:43 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

biggrin.gif

The "noodling" you're referring to suggests to me that you've only listened to the latest release 'Frances The Mute' which has long passages of noodling in between some superb, complex songs. Their previous album 'De-Loused In The Comatorium' is more straight-ahead without these passages that some find annoying. I would recommend anyone getting into TMV start with that album and work your way to 'Frances The Mute'.

As for bands like TMV, quite a difficult question as they're quite unique, but At The Drive-In sprung to mind immediately. They've just recently released a anthology (which I don't have), but I would imagine that picks out the best bits. I have the album 'Relationship Of Command' which is excellent. Quite different from TMV; shorter more intense songs, but a similar-ish sound.

Mar 12, 2006 at 6:09 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

biggrin.gif

Simply amazing how everyone I know has the exact same initial reaction...and I stress INITIAL.
Force it.
Keep playing that disc-kind of like the Matrix; one day youll just be able to "see it"
tongue.gif

Def. start with De-Loused, its a masterpiece.
Start with song #9-"Televators", IMO the most accessible song on the album.

Mar 12, 2006 at 8:25 PM Post #8 of 13
Cedric's voice pissed me off when I first heard 'De-Loused in the Comatorium'. I got over it, eventually.

It's a fairly good album though.. not something I'd call a masterpiece, but pretty good. The last track is just awesome.

Mar 13, 2006 at 12:31 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel
Start with song #9-"Televators", IMO the most accessible song on the album.

I agree, but I also think Cicatriz ESP also has very listener-friendly parts. Those are two of my favorite songs from the album
biggrin.gif

Mar 13, 2006 at 9:21 PM Post #10 of 13
This thread got my attention for some reason
tongue.gif

From De-loused, check out drunkship of lanterns & eriatarka. Some furious riffing and great bass lines, not so much 'noodling'...

Mar 14, 2006 at 12:22 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarsVolta
This thread got my attention for some reason
tongue.gif

From De-loused, check out drunkship of lanterns & eriatarka. Some furious riffing and great bass lines, not so much 'noodling'...

Its the noodling that pops up smack dab in the middle of the ferocious riffs and highpitched vocals that got me hooked on these guys in the first place.
I think TMV ROCKS, period.

Mar 14, 2006 at 1:01 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel
Its the noodling that pops up smack dab in the middle of the ferocious riffs and highpitched vocals that got me hooked on these guys in the first place.
I think TMV ROCKS, period.

In that case, have you checked out any Omar Rodriguez-Lopez quintet/solo albums? Think of Mars Volta jam sessions without the vocals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omar_Ro...-Lopez_Quintet

I bet it would sound great on your HF-1's
icon10.gif

Mar 14, 2006 at 4:06 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

I bet it would sound great on your HF-1's
icon10.gif

you have no idea...

thanx for the rec, im gonna check it out now.
actually finally getting really into the 2nd half of Frances, some ridiculous Latin influenced instrumentals. I think those horns are killer; I heard Flea plays some horns on the album?
Also, are you into any early Santana or Mahavishnu Orchestra?
I hear some of their early (both-70's) material is similar to TMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back