Is there any way to bypass Kmixer with iTunes4?
Apr 23, 2004 at 3:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

mshan

1000+ Head-Fier
Is there any way to bypass Kmixer with iTunes4? What about with Musicmatch?

My soundcard is an M-Audio Revolution, which has an ASIO monitoring option. Does this alone enable ASIO or does the program used also have to have some sort of ASIO option / plug-in?

Apr 23, 2004 at 4:13 PM Post #2 of 10
The program has to have ability to use ASIO output.

Apr 23, 2004 at 4:26 PM Post #3 of 10
Is there any way to get around Kmixer with iTunes or Musicmatch?

Also, does OS 10 have an equivalent of Kmixer, or would something such as an iBook with iTunes produce output similar to foobar with kernal streaming?

Apr 23, 2004 at 5:01 PM Post #4 of 10
Only Windows 2000 and XP have kmixer and it's issues. I forget if WinME does or doesn't.

An RME soundcard's drivers will supposedly bypass kmixer natively. That's anotehr way to get clean bits in every application.

Apr 23, 2004 at 6:22 PM Post #7 of 10
So all outputs (analog and digital), irrespective of the actual program used, will bypass Kmixer with the RME Digi96/8 PAD?

If so, why would I need ASIO?

Apr 23, 2004 at 6:32 PM Post #8 of 10
The RME is the exception with drivers like this. Usually you'd use ASIO or KS for other soundcards.

Apr 23, 2004 at 9:16 PM Post #9 of 10
Does the RME Digi96/8 PAD allow simultaneous analog and digital outputs?

Also, are the rca type connectors on RME coaxial digital input and output or left and right analog outputs? And what are the connectors on that dongle?

Finally, how much of a step up in sound quality (analog and digital outputs) would the RME Digi96/8 PAD be over my current M-Audio Revolution?

Apr 24, 2004 at 12:46 PM Post #10 of 10
Yes the PAD allows analog and digital out at the same time.
RCA's are digital I/O, not analog, the analog part uses the same 1/4 inch connectors headphones use (don't know the right word for them right now)

If you mean by "that dongle" the other form of connections you can buy are balanced digital AND unbalanced digital (RCA) on one connector that replaces the one you get with the standard package (which only has digital RCA I/O)

You can buy this connector seperately like I did but from what I understand there are also packages that include this connector by default.

Your last question I cannot answer....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back