Is there any such thing as a "fake" Grado RS1i?
Aug 28, 2009 at 7:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

gooner26

New Head-Fier
Hi, I recently purchased a pair of Grado RS1i's from eBay. I got a great deal (£469) and everything is working fine, also came with supplied extension lead and adaptor for use with smaller headphone jacks, but I heard recently a guy saying that he bought some headphones from eBay and he said he was worried that they were fake? Now my mind is doing over time worrying if my new Grado's are fake? Is there anyway of telling a genuine pair to a fake pair?I also took the pads off and noticed some kind of reference number ingraved on the wood. Regards Danny.

Aug 28, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #2 of 9
Post some pics so people can have a look and decide. As for engraving on wood, that's normal. As for price, it is US price so that's ok (nothing too out of the oridinary). Also messy glue around driver is normal too (in case you are worry).

Aug 28, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #5 of 9
fake Full sized sennheisers? Thats news to me. Most of the fakes today are on portable headphones eg the portable Audio Technica stuff, Sennheiser IEMs, Shure iems etc... Never heard of full sized fakes.

But you can check the grado box, usually John signs the RS series boxes, and there should be a serial number on the base of the cup (under the pads). My suggestion is take pics of the following:
Back of the box, Front of the box, any documentation. Front of the headphone (the driver) without the earpads on, the grill of each cup, and the headband.

Aug 28, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #6 of 9
Fake Grado's don't exist, because the company isn't mass market. However, it's more than incredibly easy to switch drivers with a lower model Grado, and it takes a very, very trained ear to hear the difference. If someone were to put in SR225 drivers into an RS1, most people - including the numerous people on here - won't ever know.

Aug 28, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by pdupiano /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But you can check the grado box, usually John signs the RS series boxes

He only does this for the HF series (HF-1, HF-2). But yeah, I've been on Head-Fi for awhile and personally never heard of fake Grados.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back