Is there any risk of runing full volume on an amp
Apr 3, 2004 at 10:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Abula

100+ Head-Fier
I just want to know if there could be problems with amps in general driving them to full volume (Besides earing damage), Im asking this because I have highly efficient heaphones and with the amp that Im powering them I dont have any problem, but when I plug my DT770-250 I have to reach to the top of the volume control to get decent dbs, I dont mind really using it this way, but I wanted to know if Im shortning its life by having it play at full volume (I think is more a gain thing than the power it has), still non the less I want to cross check with you guys.

Apr 3, 2004 at 10:54 PM Post #2 of 7
if it doesn't sound like it's distorting and your eardrums haven't imploded, then it's probably doing fine. i run my mg head otl-h at full tilt sometimes when i use my sonica theatre since the output is so weak out of the sonica.

Apr 3, 2004 at 11:47 PM Post #3 of 7
if the amp is not running hotter than normal and the sound is still clean then no

but if you overheat and/or run into severe clipping the amp will not last long

Apr 4, 2004 at 12:32 AM Post #4 of 7
Most solid state amps I know of will clip at max volume. Damage to your amp and speakers may and will occur. You may not hear it since your hearing will be gone long before then so rely on your sense of smell.

Apr 4, 2004 at 5:36 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by Ctn
Most solid state amps I know of will clip at max volume. Damage to your amp and speakers may and will occur. You may not hear it since your hearing will be gone long before then so rely on your sense of smell.

haha
wink.gif

Apr 4, 2004 at 6:21 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by rickcr42

but if you overheat and/or run into severe clipping the amp will not last long

Neither will your headphones
eek.gif

Apr 6, 2004 at 1:24 PM Post #7 of 7
Thanks for all the replies guys,

I wrote perreaux, great customer service, and they just reply,

From Perreaux Design Engineer, Clinton.

Quote:

It is great to hear your feedback and that you are totally enjoying the SXH1.

The SXH1 was designed so that the full range of the volume potentiometer could be used practically and without harm to the unit itself. So, provided your cans and/or ears can handle the output, feel free to turn the volume knob to it's endstop
redface.gif
)

With the volume maxed out, the SXH1 will provide a little over 350mW continuous into 250 Ohms without clippping. This I assume would be ample to drive the DT770's to ear shattering levels, considering their power handling is only 100mW.

So I think I'll be ok based on this statement.

Thanks again to all that participated on this thread.
Pablo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back