Is there any reason to upgrade amplifiers if I have a Fiio E6?
Feb 25, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #46 of 82
Quote:

121 mW into 33 Ω is 85 mA peak current, and 170 mA peak ground current with both channels driven. That is an unusually powerful cMoy, is it that NJM4556 one with no gain ? Typical cMoys use lower current op amps, and often even weaker virtual grounds (like the TLE2426 that cannot output much more than 30 mA). If it is some other cMoy and the crosstalk was measured with RMAA, note that RMAA lies about crosstalk and consistently shows it to be 6 dB better than reality, in addition to the measurement often being unreliable because of ground loops in a sound card loopback setup.

Those are numbers quoted from the Dark Lord NwQuestionableGuy's blah-spot site.

He did go all an about the allegedly mighty and apparently unloved NJM4556 indeed, and those numbers are apparently from a cMoy with that opamp installed. NwOpAmpGuy claims those numbers are w/o gain. The prufeshional genier dood does not seem to provide 33 ohm power numbers for the cMoy w gain (same NJM4566 amp), but it is supposed to give about the same juice to 150 ohms and a bit more into 15 ohms (all at the expense of distortion of course.) JDS Labs cMoy uses the OPA2227 instead so numbers are probably different with it.

As some of us know, NwdScopeGuy put RMAA on the spot, and may have compensated for it's issues... But He-who-seems-to-have-disappeared would know.

Feb 25, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #47 of 82
BTW, if the OP is only considering an amp for his U900, E6 might be more than 'nuff provided the OP has tried a couple of other options (maybe through loans/meets) and found no audible improvement.

If considering something that can drive more phones, but retains some versatility, I would consider a Leckerton UHA-6S, though it is a little north of $200. If portability is not so much of an issue and still want something that can drive more phones than just the U900 while keeping things around $200, a Magni+Modi might be a reasonable option IMO.

If the OP is only considering headphones that do not require a lot of voltage and/or current, then retaining the E6 seems to me like the way to go. Of course, hooking such phones directly to a Mac might also be sufficient. Apple has a reasonable reputation as far as their audio goes.

Feb 25, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #48 of 82
Quote:

I'm not sure why you have to be so confrontational on this topic.

Plus what you're quoting from me doesn't really pertain to the OP's original question, so please stop quoting and responding to my past posts. If you would like to discuss something with me, then I'm more than happy to do so via PM.

Feb 25, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #50 of 82
Quote:
Add on that I normally use myClip+ and HD25 with 20-30 db of volume left according to the Rockbox display!

But do you ReplayGain?

Feb 25, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #53 of 82
Quote:

Pointing out where you are factually wrong - i.e. just about everywhere - is not "confrontational". It is, however, getting boring. 

Well, thanks for pointing things out in a non-offensive way.

And also thanks for convincing me to never waste my time here in this section again.

Feb 25, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #54 of 82
Quote:
BTW, if the OP is only considering an amp for his U900, E6 might be more than 'nuff provided the OP has tried a couple of other options (maybe through loans/meets) and found no audible improvement.

If considering something that can drive more phones, but retains some versatility, I would consider a Leckerton UHA-6S, though it is a little north of $200. If portability is not so much of an issue and still want something that can drive more phones than just the U900 while keeping things around $200, a Magni+Modi might be a reasonable option IMO.

A Fiio e6 is $30. I really don't think that's a big risk to try requiring travelling to meets, etc. Especially given how much more the alternatives are. For the same reason I'd say "Forget future proofing! Buy another amp if you ever need it, until then save $170."

Feb 25, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #55 of 82
Quote:

No. In fact, I will admit that until you asked that I had no idea that Rockbox could do such a thing.

It will not do the scanning and tagging, but if your files have the tags present, Rockbox reads them. 

Feb 25, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #56 of 82
Quote:

Yeah, but I noticed you mention that you do use the EQ settings, so the differences do add up after all, right?

huh? what differences are you reffering to? i don't even use amp eq or the amp itself may i state. because to me it is completely useless since i do the eq work i need on the computer (where i have 250 knobs to play around with instead of the pitiful 3 preset settings i have on the E6) and the E6 does not help me drive my headphones any better, with or without the E6 it sounds exactly the same.

Feb 25, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #57 of 82
Quote:
huh? what differences are you reffering to? i don't even use amp eq or the amp itself may i state. because to me it is completely useless since i do the eq work i need on the computer (where i have 250 knobs to play around with instead of the pitiful 3 preset settings i have on the E6) and the E6 does not help me drive my headphones any better, with or without the E6 it sounds exactly the same.

If it all sounds the same to you, then I don't think you even need an amp to begin with. Disregarding my disagreement with the others here, I honestly think you're better off just plugging your headphone directly into the source if you don't find that the E6 is benefitting you in any way.

Feb 25, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #58 of 82
Quote:

If it all sounds the same to you, then I don't think you even need an amp to begin with. Disregarding my disagreement with the others here, I honestly think you're better off just plugging your headphone directly into the source if you don't find that the E6 is benefitting you in any way.

and... you're right! that's exactly what i did. i currently only use the E6 as a volume control and as a stain relief to the (unnecessarily) huge headphone jack i have when needed. 

also, sorry i forgot to mention, but i didn't buy the amp. i borrowed from my friend, and he had it rotting in his drawer so he said i could keep it. so effectively its mine
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back