Is there any point to the ipod touch?
Nov 28, 2008 at 7:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

siresmith

New Head-Fier
I like the sound of ipod touch 2g but am struggling to justify my desire to buy it over the much cheaper nano 4g. It seems as though all it's features are pointless. Take wifi. At least in England, free wifi is available only in Mcdonalds- how often are you going to need the internet so urgently as to go to Mcdonalds and use it on a tiny screen rather than go home? And if you're home (and have wifi), why would you use the touch and not your pc??!! Then there's the apps. I've read a few 'top 10 apps' and the ones they list appear completely void of point, humorously so- 'see who's online in xbox live' or 'have a lightsabre appear on your screen'. Ok then. Video on such a small screen, unless you have no home/tv or have to take a 5 hour plane trip several times a week, when would you use it? Thing is, so many people go on about the splendour of the touch, as does my intuition. Is my rational side missing something? Are there any actual decent apps, or do you touch owners of more than month think you should have got the more practical nano?

Nov 28, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #2 of 17
Not much point imo.
Either go for the iPod nano, or jump straight for the iPhone 3G.
smile.gif

Nov 28, 2008 at 7:56 PM Post #3 of 17
For you there probably is no point. For a lot of kids in my school, they enjoy it more-so as an all-in-one gadget than an MP3 player, in that they spend most of their time on it playing casual games and browsing the internet.

Nov 28, 2008 at 8:25 PM Post #4 of 17
It is a great gadget for commuters, i travel 3 hrs a day andi watch films/tv shows , listen to music and stagecoach now has free wifi on board ,i surf and play games , so to me it is totally amazing. BUT i still prefer my Sansa Clip for music playback as the 1g touch hisses through my custom-1s.

Nov 28, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #5 of 17
I've used my touch 1G for a year now. It is a fun gadget but if you only use it to listen to your own music then it is too big and too heavy and pointless.

I do use it to watch videos, the screen is big enough for me to even watch movies that are subtitled. For the times I don't want to listen to my music or watch my own videos and there is wifi available i can pass the time watching youtube, listen to music thru pandora, surf the web, check email.

It's not great for portability if size of the player is a concern.

Nov 28, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #6 of 17
For me, there is a point to the Touch.

I got a Touch 2G a few weeks ago. Originally, I did not see the point of the Touch. I already have a number of media players. However, after trying out the Samsung P2, I got a feel for the large video screen and for playing games on a touch surface.

After checking out some colleagues' Iphones, I decided to try out the Touch 2G.

I couldn't be happier with the decision. I love Safari for browsing the web. Game playing on the Touch is fun. The App Store makes buying apps a pleasure. The app prices are reasonable. There is little worry about viruses or worms. There are useful reviews to help make decisions. The three built-in accelerometers / touch screen make for a fun gaming platform. The music player sound quality is excellent (PC World rates it the best of the Ipods along with the Nano 4G).

The wifi limitation of the Touch 2G is overcome for me with a wifirouter program on my AT&T Tilt cell phone. This software makes my Tilt an adhoc wifi access point, so I can use the Touch anywhere.

Why did I not get an Iphone? Here is a list of reasons:

1) Expense (I already have a phone with unlimited data)

2) Limited download capability

3) Limited internet audio streaming capability

4) Limited PDA / email capability

5) Limited Bluetooth functionality

My Tilt does not have the last four limitations.

Nov 28, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #7 of 17
The selling point is the large screen for movies. For only music, you should just get a nano or regular ipod.

Nov 28, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #8 of 17
Two differences for me between the touch and the ipod nano.

a) the nano goes to 16 GB capacity, the touch goes to 32 GB

b) the iPod touch is jailbreakable, so you can get vlc4iPhone on it and play flac files, the iPod nano can't do this.

Nov 28, 2008 at 10:21 PM Post #9 of 17
I reckon there's a point to the iPod Touch. Keep in mind, though, that mine's jailbroken (though with the app store, it might not make such of a difference).

Here's a list of features the Touch has over the Nano:
1. The Interweb. Every morning when I wake up, I check my e-mail and the weather without even getting out of bed. I often google stuff while I'm cooking, away from the computer. I often look up stuff on Google Maps, right before I leave the house, so I have the info with me in the car without having to write anything down.
2. Notes. I take notes at meetings or jot down stuff as I'm walking along on my Touch. I use a Moleskine cahier too, but sometimes the Touch is just more convenient.
3. Calendar. Synced to iCal. Brilliant.
4. 3rd party apps. I can't tell you the number of times I've needed to convert units (and currencies) and find out the definition of a word, and lo, my Touch was with me to save the day.
5. Entertainment. Movies and games, to assuage boredom.

Why not an iPhone? I swing between wanting an iPhone and not wanting an iPhone, and the dealbreaker is the touchscreen. Don't get me wrong, I love the touchscreen. But not for typing. After a year, I'm still not used to typing quickly on the Touch. With my old workhorse Nokia cellphone with physical buttons, I can type blindfolded. So if, like you, you do a lot of text messaging and very little calling, the lack of physical buttons on a phone is a no go.

Nov 28, 2008 at 11:15 PM Post #10 of 17
I got a 2G touch last month - for me, the best feature is to watch videos, especially for long flights. I don't use the wifi at all - if I'm home, I can use one of my computers pretty easily and if I'm out, wifi usually isn't readily available. A couple of the games were ok on the touch, and for PDA-type functions, I already have contacts, email and calendar on my blackberry.

Nov 29, 2008 at 1:33 AM Post #11 of 17
cheap thrills.

of course, people who need a small device to entertain themselves should look into this. long commutes/flights may very well suit the touch very well.

Nov 29, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by uraflit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cheap thrills.

The touch ain't cheap!
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 29, 2008 at 6:51 PM Post #15 of 17
Guy iPod Touch owner: "Hey, want to touch my "iPod"?

Girl iPod Touch owner: "Hey, want to touch my "iPods"?

See?

smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back