is there any point in getting hd650 balanced, if the rest of the set up (headphone amp, reciever) is not?
Feb 5, 2009 at 2:00 AM Post #16 of 22
My balanced setup is not quite bargain basement, but it's also not nearly top end, but I am very happy with it.

Source: DACmagic $399
XLR Interconnect: Solid Silver ~.5m made by head-fi member mmwwhats $100
Headphone Amp: Little Dot MKVI $699
Headphone Cable: APS V3 4 pin 6ft $230
Headphone: Sennheiser HD600 $225 (used)

$1653 + shipping. That's a full system top to bottom that could very well be a good enough system to stop upgrades. I would certainly be happy with this if I could never change anything again.

Feb 5, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #17 of 22
Well one reason for getting a balanced cable without a balanced amp is that it allows you to upgrade to a balanced amp in the future without ditching the cable. But until you get the balanced amp there would not be any benefit.

Feb 5, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #18 of 22
There is no reason to get a balanced cable if you don't have a balanced amp though, you can't use a balanced cable on a SE amp as far as I know. Almost all balanced amps have XLR outputs either 2 x 3 pin or 1 x 4 pin. Almost all SE amps use TRS 1/4".

Feb 5, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxvla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is no reason to get a balanced cable if you don't have a balanced amp though, you can't use a balanced cable on a SE amp as far as I know. Almost all balanced amps have XLR outputs either 2 x 3 pin or 1 x 4 pin. Almost all SE amps use TRS 1/4".

Of course, you would need an XLR->TRS adaptor as well...
wink.gif

Feb 5, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by XXII /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course, you would need an XLR->TRS adaptor as well...
wink.gif

The open wound in the wallet keeps bleeding!

Feb 5, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #21 of 22
Feb 5, 2009 at 12:11 PM Post #22 of 22
Ridin' high in april, shot down in may...think I skip balanced for now :wink:

Maybe this is a new thread, but is there a point i re-cabling hd650, though it's NOT a balanced set up? People are talking about hd650's "boomy bass" and a "veil" over the mids/highs, that dissappear, when you go balanced with the SAA Equinox cable. But is it because of the balanced setup or is it because of the better quality of the cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back