Is there any plans for rca input selector?
Mar 26, 2006 at 5:15 AM Post #2 of 17
It's something simple enough not to need a plan. You want 6 inputs and 1 output right? Just buy 14 RCA sockets a case and a 2p6t rotary switch. Connect the 6 inputs to the 12 input poles, connect all the grounds together, and the 2 toggle outputs of the switch to the output.

Mar 31, 2006 at 3:21 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbz
It's something simple enough not to need a plan. You want 6 inputs and 1 output right? Just buy 14 RCA sockets a case and a 2p6t rotary switch. Connect the 6 inputs to the 12 input poles, connect all the grounds together, and the 2 toggle outputs of the switch to the output.

I did a dual input on my M3. One input to my Home Theater system and one to my iPod. I got a very bad ground loop hum when the iPod was powered from my PC's USB port. If I power it from a standard iPod wall wart (or use battery power), no hum.

Next time I do this, I am going to switch the grounds too.

Mar 31, 2006 at 9:29 PM Post #7 of 17
I made one from these instructinos:
http://www.elephantstaircase.com/wik...e=RCASwitchBox

their's is pretty ugly looking, but i think you can get the just of it.
wink.gif

Mar 31, 2006 at 10:49 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blooze
I think Nate just posted one in the gallery yesterday.

Say what?
biggrin.gif
Click picture for more detailed images.

And the only complex part of a switch box is figuring out what kind of switch you want/need. The example shown above is only a 3 input switch box and to be honest I haven't seen a switch that would effectively accomodate more than 4 inputs, but I haven't looked that hard since I can't imagine needing more than that.

Nate

Mar 31, 2006 at 11:37 PM Post #9 of 17
Nate, what switch did you use? And do you have the grounds switching also?

I have some people interested in listening to my stock Millett and SOHA at the GPAF in May and was thinking if I could switch safely between the two from my NAD bee CDP it would be handy.

Mar 31, 2006 at 11:44 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Nate, what switch did you use?

It's a Lorlin switch from Mouser, don't have the exact part number handy but I'll look it up if you want.

Quote:

And do you have the grounds switching also?

Yup, the whole reason for the 4 pole switch, keep the grounds isolated and switching, probably not necessary most of the time but it didn't make the switch any more expensive.

Quote:

I have some people interested in listening to my stock Millett and SOHA at the GPAF in May and was thinking if I could switch safely between the two from my NAD bee CDP it would be handy.

If you get stuck let me know and I'll shoot you the switch to use, I don't really know what I'll use it for after the national meet
smily_headphones1.gif

Nate

Apr 1, 2006 at 12:21 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher
It's a Lorlin switch from Mouser, don't have the exact part number handy but I'll look it up if you want.

If it's not to much trouble. Anytime you think of it would be OK. I never know which type of switch to use on anything.
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher
If you get stuck let me know and I'll shoot you the switch to use, I don't really know what I'll use it for after the national meet
smily_headphones1.gif

Nate

Thanks, I may have to take you up on that if I can't get one built.

Apr 1, 2006 at 12:44 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilR
I did a dual input on my M3. One input to my Home Theater system and one to my iPod. I got a very bad ground loop hum when the iPod was powered from my PC's USB port. If I power it from a standard iPod wall wart (or use battery power), no hum.

Next time I do this, I am going to switch the grounds too.

I only recomended not switching because the most common switch has an adjustable 12 poles. that makes it 12pst 6pdt 4p3t etc. so if someone wants 6 inputs ... yeah.

Groundloops are a pain!

Apr 1, 2006 at 1:07 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

If it's not to much trouble. Anytime you think of it would be OK. I never know which type of switch to use on anything.
rolleyes.gif

Mouser Part No's for switches that I think would work well for a switch box.

4 pole 3 pos = 10WA127

3 pole 4 pos = 10WA126

And one that I've got but haven't tried yet...

4 pole 6 pos = 10WR046

Hope that helps,

Nate

Apr 3, 2006 at 5:08 PM Post #15 of 17
What would be the advantages / disadvantages of using latching relays instead of a rotary switch in this application. I'm thinking of using a pair of DPDT low signal latching relays controlled by a small switch to switch between two inputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back