Is there any need for a DT880 ('05) if you already have a K701?
Aug 11, 2008 at 11:56 AM Post #17 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by cactus_farmer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And also, is it true that the DT880 is more Grado-like than the K701? Does it have a more forward presentation?

Well, it seems yes, its presentation is more forward.

K701 is famous for its soundstage. Instruments seem to be placed far away from the listener.

Ash

EDIT: K701 will have a "drier" sound since it is soulless:p
DT 880 will be closer to the nature in reproduction. I hope so.

Aug 11, 2008 at 3:22 PM Post #18 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by donthuang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
K701 has more emphasized high,and strange less mid-high

This is the first time i've encountered such an opinion. Most would describe the DT880s to be noticeably brighter.

Aug 11, 2008 at 3:42 PM Post #19 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by zyxwvutsr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please elaborate.

Violins don't sound unnatural in the DT880. Although everybody's hears different, many people will agree with me that strings, including violin sound quite good, not unnatural at all.

Aug 11, 2008 at 3:51 PM Post #20 of 35
Quote:

This is the first time i've encountered such an opinion. Most would describe the DT880s to be noticeably brighter.

I know what i say is really confused,sorry

It's not about brighter or darker

just about the feel of "airy" or "richness"

Aug 11, 2008 at 5:02 PM Post #21 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperpwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 600 ohm DT880s are a challenge for solid state amps but just sing from an OTL tube amp.

That's over generalization, both GLite and GS-1, for instance, drive those with ease with a lot of headroom to spare. I don't even have to use high gain on GS-1 and Glite has enough volume at 12 o'clock.

And did I mentioned that they sound plain awesome? 600 Ohm version is the only way to go.
beyersmile.png

Aug 11, 2008 at 6:44 PM Post #22 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Violins don't sound unnatural in the DT880. Although everybody's hears different, many people will agree with me that strings, including violin sound quite good, not unnatural at all.

As I have mentioned earlier, certain people may enjoy the signature that the DT880s voice into its presentation of strings instruments. However, those who prefer the natural timbre of these instruments probably would not find the DT880s to be as enjoyable.

Aug 12, 2008 at 4:48 AM Post #23 of 35
I own both, though the DT-880's are quite a recent acquisition and I haven't put that many hours in with them. Initial impressions are that I prefer the K-701 (mainly metal listening, though some folky rock/female vocal stuff as well), mainly due to better sense of sounstage/space, deeper and much faster bass (not as impactful though), and greater sense of detail (to me).

Aug 12, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #24 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's over generalization, both GLite and GS-1, for instance, drive those with ease with a lot of headroom to spare. I don't even have to use high gain on GS-1 and Glite has enough volume at 12 o'clock.

Of course. I was indeed very much generalising on the voltage versus current issue. A truly high end amp like the GS-1 and Glite will provide plenty of power for both low and high ohms. On the other hand, the Earmax Pro is very lightly powered for current but still cranks out tons of volume for the DT880/600s, also at 12:00, precisely because it is tube OTL - great voltage swings.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And did I mentioned that they sound plain awesome? 600 Ohm version is the only way to go.
beyersmile.png

Well we always agreed on that, Andrew. But I will one up you:
beyersmile.png
beyersmile.png

Aug 12, 2008 at 5:47 AM Post #25 of 35
Quote:

Well we always agreed on that, Andrew. But I will one up you:
beyersmile.png
beyersmile.png

What surprise me that they do not get recognition they truly deserved.
Guess shortcomings of 250Ohm counterpart stop people from trying more expensive high impedance model.

Aug 12, 2008 at 8:29 AM Post #26 of 35
600 ohm version makes you pay twice as much to hear no-to-slight change depending most probably on the amp. I guess powerfull SS amps will give as the whole result a tiny difference in the sensitivity between both.
DT880 Pro have different soundstage than the straight cable and they're cheaper in Europe than the "civil" DT880's. I would say they have wider soundstage than the K701's. My friend owns both BD and AKG, and AFAIR he'd let the K701's go first as he says the DT880 Pro's tell him the truth about the recording while he uses also other headphones to listen to the music for pleasure, and the K701's don't get most of the head time.

Aug 12, 2008 at 9:47 AM Post #27 of 35
Quote:

However, be advised that violins are very unnatural sounding on the DT880s.

I disagree as well, it depends on where in the concert hall you are sitting. DT880's put you closer, where treble is less attenuated.

Aug 12, 2008 at 10:30 AM Post #28 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
600 ohm version makes you pay twice as much to hear no-to-slight change depending most probably on the amp. I guess powerfull SS amps will give as the whole result a tiny difference in the sensitivity between both.

With the right amp 600 ohms is smoother. Of course it isn't day and night. This is Head-Fi where we pay for small but meaningful incremental improvements in SQ.

Is it worth the extra money? I think so but that is a subjective value judgement.

And unless you have the right amp, it will actually sound worse.

Aug 12, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #29 of 35
Quote:

With the right amp 600 ohms is smoother. Of course it isn't day and night. This is Head-Fi where we pay for small but meaningful incremental improvements in SQ.

Is it worth the extra money? I think so but that is a subjective value judgement.

And unless you have the right amp, it will actually sound worse.

Somehow in my setup the difference was rather dramatic.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/4555041-post179.html

Aug 12, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #30 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoomzDayz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I disagree as well, it depends on where in the concert hall you are sitting. DT880's put you closer, where treble is less attenuated.

Even with the violin next to my chin, the treble overtones are not as accentuated as it is on the DT880. Perhaps our sensitivity to the highest frequencies just differ that much?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back