Is there any need for a DT880 ('05) if you already have a K701?
Aug 11, 2008 at 3:01 AM Post #2 of 35
to me, they sound quite similar except that the DT880 has a better top end while the K701 has a wider sound stage. in general, i prefer the K701, although not by a significant margin. some recent comments i made about these headphones. why repeat myself.

my AKG K701 is recabled to balanced with a moon audio black dragon. it has a very wide sound stage, a nice even response from top to bottom, lots of detail - an amazing mid range - but no brightness, and good bass although not hard hitting. the headphone is good because it performs well with a wide variety of musical genres (although probably a bit stronger with classical and jazz) and no one area overpowers the other. the beyerdynamic DT880 is somewhat similar to the K701 except the sound stage is smaller, the bass hits harder, and the highs have a little more sparkle. good for classical (especially the violin), female vocals, and most music that involves synthesizers. it can be bright at times though.

i'm starting to think that the DT880 '05 version with its very crisp highs and subwoofer-like bass is probably the best headphone i have heard for electronic pop - right now i am listening to the album Give Up by The Postal Service. just amazing with these headphones. another album is Blue Wonder Power Milk by Hooverphonic. i don't own a lot of this type of music though. would like to get more.

sound stage and probably imaging is better on K701. both have good clarity. DT880 has more bass impact and a bit more sparkle to the highs. the 880 is also more comfortable. overall i would say the 880 is better or more suited for gaming and movies.

Aug 11, 2008 at 3:25 AM Post #3 of 35
Great comment, vcoheda, thanks. Have you heard the new consumer 600-ohm 880's? They improve on the older 880's for sure.

I have Silver Dragon re-cable by Drew on my Ultrasones, and I see on his moon-audio web site that he recommends what you have -- Black Dragon for the K701's. But ALO also seems to specialize in a re-cable specifically for the K701's so I am torn. Any advice before my K701's arrive?

Did you balance your K701's?

I could be wrong (I'll know soon enough), but I don't think K701's substitute for 880's ... heard them in close proximity at both CanJam 08 and the NJ meet. Different IMHO. Anyway my wife wants her own cans now, so I will have both in the house: 880s/600 for my open cans (Ultrasone for closed), and K701's for her.

Aug 11, 2008 at 3:34 AM Post #4 of 35
Not a bad description D....
beerchug.gif

The only thing I might add is that my '03s have a wider sound stage than my 650s but not as wide as my 701s...

I didn't care for the '05s and sent them a family member who doesn't know any better.
L3000.gif

E

standard

Aug 11, 2008 at 3:35 AM Post #5 of 35
If you are particularly sensitive to sibilance and/or digital clipping in the treble, I would advise against getting the DT880s as they are significantly brighter than the K701.
Due to its emphasized highs, I could understand why some find the violins to be very appealing through the DT880s. However, be advised that violins are very unnatural sounding on the DT880s.

Aug 11, 2008 at 3:41 AM Post #6 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by zyxwvutsr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are particularly sensitive to sibilance and/or digital clipping in the treble, I would advise against getting the DT880s as they are significantly brighter than the K701.
Due to its emphasized highs, I could understand why some find the violins to be very appealing through the DT880s. However, be advised that violins are very unnatural sounding on the DT880s.

'03s or '05s ???
confused_face(1).gif

Aug 11, 2008 at 3:50 AM Post #7 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great comment, vcoheda, thanks. Have you heard the new consumer 600-ohm 880's? They improve on the older 880's for sure.

no. although i would like to.

Quote:

I have Silver Dragon re-cable by Drew on my Ultrasones, and I see on his moon-audio web site that he recommends what you have -- Black Dragon for the K701's. But ALO also seems to specialize in a re-cable specifically for the K701's so I am torn. Any advice before my K701's arrive?

i have not listened to an ALO recabled K701. but at a new york meet, myself and another headfier compared 3 balanced K701s - black dragon, equinox, and cardas all on my apache. we came to the same conclusion. the black dragon and equinox both sounded excellent and very similar, and both were preferred over the cardas. i have also heard the K701 single ended with an APS cable v.2 (not v.3) and would say that the black dragon or equinox is a better fit.

Quote:

I could be wrong (I'll know soon enough), but I don't think K701's substitute for 880's ... heard them in close proximity at both CanJam 08 and the NJ meet. Different IMHO.

yes, different. but there is - to me - a fair deal of overlap between the two and some of the music that the 880 excels at (music w/ synthesizers or electronica) i don't own much of. also, the 880 (both models) has a general brightness to it which in the long run can prove to be rather bothersome. on this note, i can definitely recommend a cardas cable, which seems to capture a nice balance of slightly taming the highs w/o losing the sparkle.

Aug 11, 2008 at 4:06 AM Post #9 of 35
Quote:

03 version. I would imagine that the 05 would not be far off in its presentation.

IMHO, the '03s were significantly I really wanted to say noticeably better than the boomy '05s (to my ears anyway) there was a difference in balance that I was able to hear right away.

USG

YMMV

Aug 11, 2008 at 5:22 AM Post #10 of 35
Quote:

I respectfully disagree.

Aug 11, 2008 at 6:41 AM Post #12 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by cactus_farmer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do these two cans specialize in different areas or just mainly duplicate each other's strengths?

I think DT880 has more airy & more correct "soundstage"(not more "natural" soundstage)

Aug 11, 2008 at 7:21 AM Post #13 of 35
for me the main difference was the 2005 dt880 was more clear/bright and the k701 had a huge soundstage and was a good all arounder but the sound was more distant/dark.

Aug 11, 2008 at 8:48 AM Post #15 of 35
I own the 600 ohm DT880s and have spent some time listening the the K701s. I love the DT880s but I am not going to be a fanboy because I actually think that the K701s are quite impressive.

One important difference to consider is in ohms and what it means for amplification. The 600 ohm DT880s are a challenge for solid state amps but just sing from an OTL tube amp. They need lots of voltage, not so much current. The K701s by contrast sound very good from a SS amp but you have to be careful to get the right tube amp for them, especially if you go OTL.

Of course most high end equipment will drive both but not with equal ease.

I love the DT880s at 600 ohms and highly recommend them. My enthusiasm has only increased with my recent acquisition of an Earmax Pro. But if I was buying, for example, an LD MKV, I might go the other way.

The DT880s are a bit drier than the K701s. So the tubes that drive them properly also greatly suit their sound, adding needed warmth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back