Is there any need for a DT880 ('05) if you already have a K701?
Aug 12, 2008 at 9:34 PM Post #31 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by zyxwvutsr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even with the violin next to my chin, the treble overtones are not as accentuated as it is on the DT880. Perhaps our sensitivity to the highest frequencies just differ that much?

or perhaps the acoustic halls I have been to accentuate treble or cancellations in the mids and lower frequencies. I have not played violin so my experience is limited, and I don't logically seeing our sensitivities being a factor because we are comparing them to our real life experiences.

Aug 13, 2008 at 1:55 AM Post #32 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoomzDayz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
or perhaps the acoustic halls I have been to accentuate treble or cancellations in the mids and lower frequencies. I have not played violin so my experience is limited, and I don't logically seeing our sensitivities being a factor because we are comparing them to our real life experiences.

Suppose there are two headphones. One is very sensitive/easy to drive, and the other is very hard to drive. A small change in the power being fed into the more sensitive headphone would produce a noticeable change in volume. However, the same change in power would hardly be noticeable in the harder to drive headphone. This is just a wild hypothesis of mine so don't take it too seriously.

Aug 13, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #33 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by cactus_farmer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do these two cans specialize in different areas or just mainly duplicate each other's strengths?

From my experience, the 880 specialized in midbass boost and upper midrange suckout. The 701 specializes in midrange and top end detail and dynamics, but often shoving it in your face. It's bass is there but set back from the rest of the spectrum. Sometimes you really have to listen for it.

880 = YIN
701 = YANG

One is a big smiley face EQ, the other a frown. No, the 701 is a Jean Chretien smile, actually.

Aug 13, 2008 at 11:39 PM Post #34 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by zyxwvutsr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Suppose there are two headphones. One is very sensitive/easy to drive, and the other is very hard to drive. A small change in the power being fed into the more sensitive headphone would produce a noticeable change in volume. However, the same change in power would hardly be noticeable in the harder to drive headphone. This is just a wild hypothesis of mine so don't take it too seriously.

Yeah, equipment would have a lot to do with it, impedance matching and all that, as many recognize. Also, different people master every recording, all on different equipment and have different tastes and ears. That's essentially why there isn't one golden headphone setup.. for the most part.

Aug 16, 2008 at 1:22 PM Post #35 of 35
k701 sound like a pro soundspeaker - but don`t have good "enough" dynamic .

dt880 pro is like a studio monitor . and have a better dynamic then k701

Users who are viewing this thread

Back