Is there any need for a DT880 ('05) if you already have a K701?
Aug 11, 2008 at 11:56 AM Post #17 of 35

Ashirgo

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 20, 2008
Posts
318
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by cactus_farmer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And also, is it true that the DT880 is more Grado-like than the K701? Does it have a more forward presentation?


Well, it seems yes, its presentation is more forward.

K701 is famous for its soundstage. Instruments seem to be placed far away from the listener.

Ash

EDIT: K701 will have a "drier" sound since it is soulless:p
DT 880 will be closer to the nature in reproduction. I hope so.
 
Aug 11, 2008 at 3:22 PM Post #18 of 35

zyxwvutsr

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 6, 2006
Posts
280
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by donthuang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
K701 has more emphasized high,and strange less mid-high


This is the first time i've encountered such an opinion. Most would describe the DT880s to be noticeably brighter.
 
Aug 11, 2008 at 3:42 PM Post #19 of 35

gilency

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 30, 2007
Posts
2,310
Likes
93
Quote:

Originally Posted by zyxwvutsr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please elaborate.


Violins don't sound unnatural in the DT880. Although everybody's hears different, many people will agree with me that strings, including violin sound quite good, not unnatural at all.
 
Aug 11, 2008 at 3:51 PM Post #20 of 35

donthuang

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 11, 2006
Posts
511
Likes
70
Quote:

Originally Posted by zyxwvutsr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is the first time i've encountered such an opinion. Most would describe the DT880s to be noticeably brighter.



I know what i say is really confused,sorry

It's not about brighter or darker

just about the feel of "airy" or "richness"
 
Aug 11, 2008 at 5:02 PM Post #21 of 35

Andrew_WOT

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 18, 2004
Posts
6,457
Likes
504
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperpwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 600 ohm DT880s are a challenge for solid state amps but just sing from an OTL tube amp.


That's over generalization, both GLite and GS-1, for instance, drive those with ease with a lot of headroom to spare. I don't even have to use high gain on GS-1 and Glite has enough volume at 12 o'clock.

And did I mentioned that they sound plain awesome? 600 Ohm version is the only way to go.
beyersmile.png
 
Aug 11, 2008 at 6:44 PM Post #22 of 35

zyxwvutsr

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 6, 2006
Posts
280
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Violins don't sound unnatural in the DT880. Although everybody's hears different, many people will agree with me that strings, including violin sound quite good, not unnatural at all.


As I have mentioned earlier, certain people may enjoy the signature that the DT880s voice into its presentation of strings instruments. However, those who prefer the natural timbre of these instruments probably would not find the DT880s to be as enjoyable.
 
Aug 12, 2008 at 4:48 AM Post #23 of 35

PWilson

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 14, 2008
Posts
343
Likes
14
I own both, though the DT-880's are quite a recent acquisition and I haven't put that many hours in with them. Initial impressions are that I prefer the K-701 (mainly metal listening, though some folky rock/female vocal stuff as well), mainly due to better sense of sounstage/space, deeper and much faster bass (not as impactful though), and greater sense of detail (to me).
 
Aug 12, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #24 of 35

cooperpwc

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Nov 20, 2006
Posts
6,805
Likes
542
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's over generalization, both GLite and GS-1, for instance, drive those with ease with a lot of headroom to spare. I don't even have to use high gain on GS-1 and Glite has enough volume at 12 o'clock.


Of course. I was indeed very much generalising on the voltage versus current issue. A truly high end amp like the GS-1 and Glite will provide plenty of power for both low and high ohms. On the other hand, the Earmax Pro is very lightly powered for current but still cranks out tons of volume for the DT880/600s, also at 12:00, precisely because it is tube OTL - great voltage swings.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And did I mentioned that they sound plain awesome? 600 Ohm version is the only way to go.
beyersmile.png



Well we always agreed on that, Andrew. But I will one up you:
beyersmile.png
beyersmile.png
 
Aug 12, 2008 at 5:47 AM Post #25 of 35

Andrew_WOT

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 18, 2004
Posts
6,457
Likes
504
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperpwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well we always agreed on that, Andrew. But I will one up you:
beyersmile.png
beyersmile.png



What surprise me that they do not get recognition they truly deserved.
Guess shortcomings of 250Ohm counterpart stop people from trying more expensive high impedance model.
 
Aug 12, 2008 at 8:29 AM Post #26 of 35

majkel

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 1, 2007
Posts
2,783
Likes
59
600 ohm version makes you pay twice as much to hear no-to-slight change depending most probably on the amp. I guess powerfull SS amps will give as the whole result a tiny difference in the sensitivity between both.
DT880 Pro have different soundstage than the straight cable and they're cheaper in Europe than the "civil" DT880's. I would say they have wider soundstage than the K701's. My friend owns both BD and AKG, and AFAIR he'd let the K701's go first as he says the DT880 Pro's tell him the truth about the recording while he uses also other headphones to listen to the music for pleasure, and the K701's don't get most of the head time.
 
Aug 12, 2008 at 9:47 AM Post #27 of 35

eruditass

Previously known as DoomzDayz
Joined
Aug 18, 2004
Posts
1,119
Likes
23
Location
Maryland
Quote:

Originally Posted by zyxwvutsr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However, be advised that violins are very unnatural sounding on the DT880s.


I disagree as well, it depends on where in the concert hall you are sitting. DT880's put you closer, where treble is less attenuated.
 
Aug 12, 2008 at 10:30 AM Post #28 of 35

cooperpwc

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Nov 20, 2006
Posts
6,805
Likes
542
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
600 ohm version makes you pay twice as much to hear no-to-slight change depending most probably on the amp. I guess powerfull SS amps will give as the whole result a tiny difference in the sensitivity between both.


With the right amp 600 ohms is smoother. Of course it isn't day and night. This is Head-Fi where we pay for small but meaningful incremental improvements in SQ.

Is it worth the extra money? I think so but that is a subjective value judgement.

And unless you have the right amp, it will actually sound worse.
 
Aug 12, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #29 of 35

Andrew_WOT

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 18, 2004
Posts
6,457
Likes
504
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperpwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With the right amp 600 ohms is smoother. Of course it isn't day and night. This is Head-Fi where we pay for small but meaningful incremental improvements in SQ.

Is it worth the extra money? I think so but that is a subjective value judgement.

And unless you have the right amp, it will actually sound worse.



Somehow in my setup the difference was rather dramatic.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/4555041-post179.html
 
Aug 12, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #30 of 35

zyxwvutsr

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 6, 2006
Posts
280
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoomzDayz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I disagree as well, it depends on where in the concert hall you are sitting. DT880's put you closer, where treble is less attenuated.


Even with the violin next to my chin, the treble overtones are not as accentuated as it is on the DT880. Perhaps our sensitivity to the highest frequencies just differ that much?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top