Is there any danger using a splitter on the green line out of a sound card?
Mar 15, 2006 at 7:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

mshan

1000+ Head-Fier
Is it safe to use a splitter on the green line out of my mobo's integrated sound?

(one output is to the tiny integrated speakers of my LCD monitor, the other is a line level input to my AVR)?

I know this is supposed to cut resistance in half, but is there any risk of burning out or otherwise damaging my computer motherboard's audio output this way?

My other question is: should I leave the volume slider in the Windows control panel at Max (is this equivalent to line level out level) and then adjust volume within whatever program I am using?

Mar 15, 2006 at 9:32 PM Post #2 of 9
I wouldn't think there would be a problem with that just as you understand that the line-out signal isn't suitable for speakers, ect. As i'm sure you know.

Mar 15, 2006 at 9:38 PM Post #3 of 9
Yeah, it would essentially go to my audio video receiver's analog input or the powered speakers in my LCD monitor.

Just wondering if there is any danger if I accidentally forget to mute the LCD speakers when I also send the signal to my audio video receiver?

Mar 15, 2006 at 9:57 PM Post #4 of 9
Well there would be damage if you turned up the volume too much and it went to your speakers.

Mar 15, 2006 at 10:00 PM Post #5 of 9
I'm more concerned if there would be a problem with too much current being drawn through that el cheapo op-amp in my motherboard's audio out (assuming say resistance is cut in half because I know have two line outs in parallel ?).

Mar 16, 2006 at 11:02 AM Post #6 of 9
No worries, man - you basically want to split up a line out into two line ins. That's ok, as the input impedance of line inputs is generally so high, that it doesn't really matter.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Mar 16, 2006 at 12:03 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by sumone
When would using a splitter be bad or cause damage (if it's possible)?

When the splitter is physically too heavy or too big, and produces mechanical damage to the jack. For example.

Mar 17, 2006 at 8:59 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by sumone
When would using a splitter be bad or cause damage (if it's possible)?

Comfy already gave you a possible mechanical reason. An electrical reason, when splitting up a line-out to a line-in and a headphone, would be that you'd often enough end up with a more or less severe roll-off in the bass - especially with low impedance headphones. THD should be higher in such a case as well...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back