Is there an IEM that combines the smoothness and separation of Westone W60 with more bass (more V-shape)
Sep 3, 2016 at 4:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

noobnorwegian

Head-Fier
Hello fellow headfiers!

When my Westone W60 broke (fell on the floor), I had to start looking for a new IEM. To date, the W60 are the best IEMs I have tried, with great instrument separation, huge soundstage and nice non-fatiguing smooth sound. However, they are actually not My favorite in SQ, as i generally like a more V-shaped sound, that sounds more engaging when listening to metal. I don`t think that the W60 needs that much more in the treble, but in bass, they lack a little quantity and extension.

My last purchase was the Earsonics Velvet. I tried them for 2 weeks or so, but the upper mids were a bit annoying or sharp for some female vocals. The mids sounded their best when I adjustet the bass to warm mode (bass heavy). But I missed the more forgiving presentation of the W60. IMO the W60 also had a bigger sound stage. I would also prefer a more linear increase in bass, where the Velvet has a more sudden increase in the sub-area. The square shape if the Velvet housing is not as comfortable as the Westone.

I have read some on the 64 audio (U4, U8) but its hard to find comparisons with the W60. The U8 is also a bit expensive. I also read some on the Campfire Jupiter, but I`m not sure if they have enough bass impact. I would prefer something in the 200-600$ range, but can go higher if you have suggestions that you think fit my description. Universal fit, over-ear design, new or used.

In summary: I want to try something like the W60, with a smoothness that handles poorly recorded metal (mostly power and death), good instrument separation and soundstage but in addition has a more engaging bass (maybe a tiny bit more treble also) than the W60. I can give up some separation and soundstage for a more engaging sound, but not on a fatigue free smooth sound.

Appreciate any suggestions!

Sep 3, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #2 of 15
The ADEL U8 is probably the best choice for you. And you can get it for $450 on Massdrop right now.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/1964-audio-u-series-iems

From the 64 Audio website:
The 64 AUDIO U8 universal-fit earphones are premium, quad-low-driver "powerhouses". Special attention was put on enhancing the bass in such a way that it does not "overpower" the rest of the frequencies. The result is an incredibly powerful, dynamic and hard-hitting bass that allows the mid-range and high frequencies to stay clear and vibrant. This product is designed for bassists, drummers, keyboardists and anyone seeking a warm and immersive sound.

Sep 4, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #3 of 15
Thank you for the reply. It seems that the price is, 250, in addition to 450, so the full Massdrop price is 700 $.

With shipping, VAT and handling fee of the Norwegian postal service the price I have to pay in total will be 707 * 1,25 + 20 = 904$. It will hurt my wallet, but maybe worth it.

Anyone tried the U4 vs U8?

Sep 4, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #4 of 15
Ah, sorry about that. I have not done a Massdrop yet. I didn't understand how it worked. You are correct, the price is not $450, even though it states it is. Bummer.

Sep 20, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #5 of 15
Now I have bought the U8 Apex from 64 Audio. I have used them for two weeks or so. They are pleasant sounding IEMs, and their shape and built quality is really good. Better built quality than Westone, and better fit for me also. They are extremely sensitive, I can play at 5-10% on my ipod when I`m at the office, and 20-25% on the metro... but (there is always a but), the soundstage feels smaller (narrower) than the W60. Although I like the quantity of bass, higher frequencies are not present enough. When I am listening to metal, guitar/guitar solos are not very present (bass rythm guitars are more in front). Although I want a forgiving sound cymbals do not need to be as far back as in the U8.

Maybe I should try something from Campfire? Would the Andromeda fit, or is it not forgiving enough? How about Lyra II? Not shure how I feel about going back to dynamic drivers. Maybe there are some new hybrid balanced + dynamic I should look into? Some other brands/specific IEMs I should look into?

I can add that my favorite head-gear is Denon AH-D5000, but I believe that for IEMs the treble should be slightly more contained than these headphones, as I listen to IEMs for longer time than headphones, and the D5000 treble is borderline.

Sep 20, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #6 of 15
Have you tried different sources or putting your source through an external amp? I remember having read that some of the 64 IEMS can be extra sensitive to output impedance/source matching.

I'm unfamiliar with the Westones, but my current metal favorites are Sony N3AP and Earsonics S-EM9, both have some flaws so I won't recommend them, but if you can find a place to demo them I think they are worth checking out.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #7 of 15
Now I have bought the U8 Apex from 64 Audio. I have used them for two weeks or so. They are pleasant sounding IEMs, and their shape and built quality is really good. Better built quality than Westone, and better fit for me also. They are extremely sensitive, I can play at 5-10% on my ipod when I`m at the office, and 20-25% on the metro... but (there is always a but), the soundstage feels smaller (narrower) than the W60. Although I like the quantity of bass, higher frequencies are not present enough. When I am listening to metal, guitar/guitar solos are not very present (bass rythm guitars are more in front). Although I want a forgiving sound cymbals do not need to be as far back as in the U8.

Maybe I should try something from Campfire? Would the Andromeda fit, or is it not forgiving enough? How about Lyra II? Not shure how I feel about going back to dynamic drivers. Maybe there are some new hybrid balanced + dynamic I should look into? Some other brands/specific IEMs I should look into?

I can add that my favorite head-gear is Denon AH-D5000, but I believe that for IEMs the treble should be slightly more contained than these headphones, as I listen to IEMs for longer time than headphones, and the D5000 treble is borderline.

You may like Dorado by Campfire. Some of the best bass I've heard. And the treble is a little more prominent than with 64Audio.

Sep 21, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #8 of 15
Have you tried different sources or putting your source through an external amp? I remember having read that some of the 64 IEMS can be extra sensitive to output impedance/source matching.

I'm unfamiliar with the Westones, but my current metal favorites are Sony N3AP and Earsonics S-EM9, both have some flaws so I won't recommend them, but if you can find a place to demo them I think they are worth checking out.

I have not heard of any place in Norway that sells Earsonics. I remember reading a lot about SM 64 back in the days. The S-EM9 is really pricey. VAT in Norway is also 25%, so you have to add that if they are bough from a webshop.

You may like Dorado by Campfire. Some of the best bass I've heard. And the treble is a little more prominent than with 64Audio.

From reviews the Dorado seem very promising. Do you know if Campfire usually have black Friday sales, or other discounts? Do you know if the mid-range is similar in thickness as 64 audio and Westone? For me the Velvet had too lean sounding mid-range, with vocals sounding bright/thin (unless you used bass heavy mode, which was a bit too much).

Sep 21, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #9 of 15
I highly enjoy my Lyra II, it sounds like it would be a good fit for you but IDK how shipping & VAT will work since they ship from the USA

Something in the ChiFi category may work for you, maybe the LZ Big Dipper (can add switches to it). @peter123 has it and he is in Norway as well

Sep 21, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #10 of 15
I have not heard of any place in Norway that sells Earsonics. I remember reading a lot about SM 64 back in the days. The S-EM9 is really pricey. VAT in Norway is also 25%, so you have to add that if they are bough from a webshop.

From reviews the Dorado seem very promising. Do you know if Campfire usually have black Friday sales, or other discounts? Do you know if the mid-range is similar in thickness as 64 audio and Westone? For me the Velvet had too lean sounding mid-range, with vocals sounding bright/thin (unless you used bass heavy mode, which was a bit too much).

If you're in the Oslo area we could possibly meet and you could try the LZ Big Dipper if you'd like.

I haven't heard any of the IEM's you mention but the BD has amazing qualities and my pair does also have all three switches to adjust the sound so you could see what works best for you and if you enjoy them.

Sep 21, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #11 of 15

Yeah, the mids are very full and warm. You should seek out my review on The Headphone List.

Sep 22, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #12 of 15
I highly enjoy my Lyra II, it sounds like it would be a good fit for you but IDK how shipping & VAT will work since they ship from the USA

Something in the ChiFi category may work for you, maybe the LZ Big Dipper (can add switches to it). @peter123 has it and he is in Norway as well

It seems like Lyra II is something to read up on, but from what I read so far, it seems like the Dorado manages to be more detailed and seem to be an overall be a better performer. I am aware of the price difference. Would be harder to say no to Lyra II at a 500$ Massdrop price.

If you're in the Oslo area we could possibly meet and you could try the LZ Big Dipper if you'd like.

I haven't heard any of the IEM's you mention but the BD has amazing qualities and my pair does also have all three switches to adjust the sound so you could see what works best for you and if you enjoy them.

I have never heard about these IEMs. I will do some reading and come back to you.

Yeah, the mids are very full and warm. You should seek out my review on The Headphone List.

Funny that you mention several IEMs that have been on top of my reading list. Especially UM Merlin (considered them before my W60) and the Rhapsodio Solar (have considered them several times, but they are expensive, and maybe too much treble?). You did not mention Heir 8.a., once I actually bough them, but I never sent them for re-molding, so I sold them before I could listen to them.

Dorado seems very promising, but I am not sure if the sound is "too safe". From what you write the Dorado is less detailed than the U12. I would like something exciting and detailed than my U8. Maybe the U8 and U12 are more different, or maybe I am starting to mix SQ and detail retrieval. I have not red much about U12, as the price was high and the U4/U8 had the amount of low end I was looking for.

Sep 22, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #13 of 15
I haven't heard the Dorado but from past Hybrid experiences, BA tend to be more crystalline though not always sounding the most natural. My opinion. Everybody varies. I got my Lyra II for $540 which I was happy with since I too read the asking price of $700 is a bit too much.

Sep 22, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #14 of 15
Funny that you mention several IEMs that have been on top of my reading list. Especially UM Merlin (considered them before my W60) and the Rhapsodio Solar (have considered them several times, but they are expensive, and maybe too much treble?). You did not mention Heir 8.a., once I actually bough them, but I never sent them for re-molding, so I sold them before I could listen to them.

Dorado seems very promising, but I am not sure if the sound is "too safe". From what you write the Dorado is less detailed than the U12. I would like something exciting and detailed than my U8. Maybe the U8 and U12 are more different, or maybe I am starting to mix SQ and detail retrieval. I have not red much about U12, as the price was high and the U4/U8 had the amount of low end I was looking for.

The U12 is by no means a detail monster. It simply renders at a slightly higher res than Dorado. I'd be surprised if U12 comes off too much more detailed than U8.

I am currently selling my U12, though. around $1k at it's yours.

My two main IEMs now are the tia Fourté and Noble Audio Encore. It kills me to sell the U12, but I just don't listen to it enough, after buying Fourté. So it's time I let it go. It was my absolute favorite IEM for a full year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back