Is there an audio term for this?
Feb 8, 2011 at 5:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

EYEdROP

500+ Head-Fier

Ive noticed that some speakers or headphones are easier to grasp the sound of, like it takes less time for your brain or ears to burn in and adjust to the sound. Other speakers, you must focus and concentrate on the music, and they are more of a challenge to listen to.

Some headphones are just easier to know what they (the headphones) sound like, and can draw you in quickly on a short demo because its easy to realize their sound.

The actual audio quality can have nothing to do with this. There are terrible sounding systems that are easy to "evaluate" so to speak. As terrible as they are, they don't bother you. Of course there are great systems that are considered effortless and perform well in the manner I'm speaking of. But there are others that sound more clinical like the er4p or DT48, in which you must concentrate to realize what they are doing. These headphones are effortless too but in a different way.  

It seems like the speakers that are easy to listen to are better for background and casual listening because you dont have to pay attention to enjoy the music.  

The closest words I can come up with are Refined, and Effortless. But these can mean many different things and are tossed around like nothing. Is there a specific word for the description I gave in the beginning?  

Feb 8, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #2 of 3

PFKMan23

Headphoneus Supremus
Nope.  The closest you can get are clinical vs. musical and it's really not what you're looking for.

Feb 8, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #3 of 3

joelpearce

Headphoneus Supremus
I don't think there's a word for it, but it still takes me about three minutes every time I start listening to my Fostex T50RP to settle back into the sound.  I put them on my head, and for about half a song, I wonder if I should open them up and do some more fiddling.  Then my brain clicks into place and they are amazing again.

Users who are viewing this thread