Is there a worthwhile jukebox yets?
Feb 3, 2006 at 8:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Gopher

Member of the Trade: LampizatOr Audio
I've got so much music, new and old, that I'd love to hear but wouldn't even think to listen to if it weren't in a jukebox playing on random. Is there anything worthwhile in the <$1000 range as far as mega-cd players go?

I've already got an exceptional single cdp, so this would be just a secondary thing when I'm in a passive mood. That being said, I AM an audiophile with a revealing system and don't want crap.

Feb 3, 2006 at 10:02 PM Post #2 of 10
If you're not on the "Computer As Source Is Crap" side of the fence, you may want to think about building a true "Multimedia PC" with a quality DAC and huge hard disk and just rip all your CDs to your favorite lossless format.

It's something that I've been thinking about doing myself.

Feb 4, 2006 at 5:07 PM Post #3 of 10
I haven't written off the idea of using a computer as source some time in the future, but at present thats just not something I'd want to get into... it wouldn't fit in my listening room/would look a bit akward/don't really want to build another PC.

Is there perhaps a cd jukebox with a reasonable transport I could match up with an external dac/my exisiting power conditioning? Perhaps something like this might yeild reasonable playback?

Feb 4, 2006 at 7:10 PM Post #4 of 10
For the person who wants music, and no computer look at this site. I continue to look at this site and the Squeezebox 3, still not up to making a decision. Both get good reviews by audio sources, while the Sonos gets marks from the computer mags, and home automation sites, have yet to pin down an audiophile review of the Sonos.

http://www.olive.us/p_bin/

Feb 4, 2006 at 8:55 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gopher
I've got so much music, new and old, that I'd love to hear but wouldn't even think to listen to if it weren't in a jukebox playing on random.

How many CDs are we talking about?

Feb 4, 2006 at 10:17 PM Post #6 of 10
Bones,

that looks pretty interesting--I'll do some investigating on that one.

Oliver,

Somewhere between 100-200 albums would really benefit from being placed in a jukebox. I will skip past them trying to find what I want daily, but won't think to listen to them until I hear a song on one of them on tv/the radio/whatever.

Feb 4, 2006 at 10:49 PM Post #7 of 10
That's not too many. I would also recommend looking at the squeezebox. Or Airport Express. A Mac mini dedicated to nothing but iTunes, maybe with a visually matching external drive (possibly 200 CDs won't command one though, even when using Apple Lossless) makes for an unobtrusive PC source that can be set up and maintained with minimal effort. A Bluetooth equipped Cellphone or Palm with Salling Clicker http://www.salling.com/Clicker/mac/ makes a decent remote. The AirPort Express puts out a bit-perfect optical signal, so you can hook a DAC of your choice. The one built-in DAC is ok for casual background listening but far from being "audiophile" in any way.

Feb 6, 2006 at 8:49 PM Post #8 of 10
You can view my Audiogon system that achieves what you want via the link below. The music library currently is not even in the same room as my listening pieces. I use a laptop to select what music I want in my master/250GB/Lossless library and play it wirelessly (no compression or audio loss) to the Dac in my system. All you really need is an external drive and an Airport Express and collect your music in iTunes.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...132590092&view

Feb 6, 2006 at 8:55 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by shawntp
The music library currently is not even in the same room as my listening pieces. I use a laptop to select what music I want in my master/250GB/Lossless library and play it wirelessly (no compression or audio loss) to the Dac in my system[/URL]

I do just the same thing. iMac G5, 300GB external drive, AirPort Express, iBook as luxury remote. When I'm in the mood I use netTunes and VNC my iTunes upstairs so the main library will also count what I play & allow for me to make playlists while at the rig. When I'm lazy I just use iTunes library-sharing which is more like "push play".

Feb 7, 2006 at 7:11 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gopher
Bones,

that looks pretty interesting--I'll do some investigating on that one.

Oliver,

Somewhere between 100-200 albums would really benefit from being placed in a jukebox. I will skip past them trying to find what I want daily, but won't think to listen to them until I hear a song on one of them on tv/the radio/whatever.

33953DV-07.jpg

I own a Pioneer DV-F07 DVD/CD Player-301 Disc player, it should fit your needs too. I think it's cool and easy to use as a CD/DVD library. However, I am not too satisified with the sound and think that the sound is like coming from a sub-USD500 CDP.
rolleyes.gif

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn..._33953,00.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back