Is there a Windows Application for Output Device Switching?
Aug 25, 2017 at 6:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

domsch1988

100+ Head-Fier
I know that windows itself handles this, but i find it rather cumbersome to do. I have varying output devices for different Use cases
- USB Device for General music
- Headphone out on Mainboard for a specific game
- Line Output on Mainboard for Speakers
- A Second USB Device for Recording and live monitoring while recording

I use all of those pretty much daily and always have to switch my default Audio device. Is there an Application that allows me to either 1. define Keyboard hotkeys or 2. have a tray icon to easily switch between all of those?
Windows 10, latest update.
Any Tips are welcome.

Aug 25, 2017 at 6:35 AM Post #2 of 3
Ok, feeling dumb for not having thought about that before. I'm a heavy User of Autohotkey. It can do all of what i need.
In case anyone wants to use it, here is the Script i came up with:

^+1::
Run, mmsys.cpl
WinWait,Sound ; Change to the Window Title of Sound Devices
ControlSend,SysListView321,{Down 1} ; Number Represents the position in the list in "Playback Devices"
ControlClick,&Als Standard ; Change "&Als Standard" to the name of the button in your local language
ControlClick,OK
SoundSet, 50 ; Set a default Volume (I set 100 for everything with a hardware volume Control. Everything else to my usual volume Levels. Keeps windows from blowing my ears up accidentally).
Return

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2017 at 7:50 AM Post #3 of 3
That's not a bad solution at all!

As far as using the tray - you can right click on the audio icon and select "Playback devices" and pick "Set Default" on whatever you want to listen to, as opposed to going through the Control Panel or similar. Some soundcard drivers also allow multiple outputs at once (Creative for example supports this), and there's also AudioRepeater which can achieve a similar effect, but it is paid software (http://www.crownsoft.net/arepeater.htm for more).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back