Is there a Vivaldi album containing...
Oct 21, 2008 at 10:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

jonathanjong

Headphoneus Supremus
The Four Seasons
Sonata "Al Santo Sepolcro"
Concerto alla rustica
Concerto gross in A minor

I've never even heard of the last three, to be honest. But a friend says these are her favourite Vivaldi pieces, and I was wondering if there was a single set (or single CD, even) containing all these pieces. Thanks!

Oct 22, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #2 of 9
Ok this became a personal challenge to find this particular combination among the thousands and thousands of compilation Vivaldi disks out there. As far as I can see only this disk by the Stuttgart Chamber Orchestra from 1993 meets the criteria, with the Sonata being a comparative rarity on disk.

Here is the content of that disk rehashed and combined into another compilation - maybe there are other ways to get the combination!

Oct 22, 2008 at 3:56 AM Post #4 of 9
Thats odd - both pages have the same URL! I assure you that I do know the difference between pages on Spohr and Vivaldi!

Try http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=43:60405 - hmm if you leave the ~T0 off the end of the last URL it seems to work? How do you quote AMG pages? This is working for me now - Firefox seems to add on an extra couple of letters onto the URL that aren't present in IE.

I have a feeling this is going to be a obscure budget disk, although the artists are good ones. The Amazon link is a safer bet - in fact it may be the only easily found bet.

Oct 22, 2008 at 6:31 AM Post #7 of 9
Is this the grosso?: Double Violin Concerto, for 2 violins, strings & continuo in A minor ("L'estro armonico" No. 8), Op. 3/8, RV 522

OK, so I see the page with EXL4243...now how do I buy it?
biggrin.gif
There doesn't seem to be any performance info either. How'd you know it was Stuttgart?

Edit: Also, for some reason, the link above works now. Go figure.

Oct 22, 2008 at 9:55 AM Post #8 of 9
I am assuming it is - though concerto grosso would normally refer to a small group of instruments set against the main orchestra, where as this is really a double violin concerto. There is probably not enough information to say this one is a totally positive identification, but this particular concerto is referred to as a concerto grosso in many sources - eg http://www.dlib.indiana.edu/variatio...txt0001.html#2 gives a description of it. The Opus 3 concertos are for one, two, three and four violins, and are rightly admired as being among the best of Vivaldi.

The other ones I am pretty sure about. The sonata, as far as I know is a one off (there is a sinfonia as well with a similar name, but they are distinct works), and the Alla Rustica concerto RV151 is famous, so this will be the one. And no need to mention The Four Seasons!

I would go for the Amazon compilation - I am betting its exactly the same recordings reassembled with a few others thrown in, and its only $4.98. What label is putting out recordings with EXL in their numberings I really don't know - I think it would be very hit or miss to find it. You could just buy separate disks containing the works - there are many more recommendable versions probably than this one.

If you click on credits for the album on the amg site it does actually list the performers:
Martin Sieghart Conductor, Harpsichord
Rainer Kussmaul Violin
Wolfgang Kussmaul Violin
Reinhard Werner Cello
Herwig Zack Violin
Stuttgart Chamber Orchestra Orchestra

Users who are viewing this thread

Back