Is there a type of AUX cable that doesn't transfer Ohm output?
Jun 19, 2014 at 9:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

yacobx

1000+ Head-Fier
Im trying to cut out the background hiss of dual amping when I'm on the go using my iPhone 5. My set up is a Fiio E6 connected with the included aux cable to MDR XB90EX. The hiss is minimal but its annoying to me. As far as I know the L9 with the lighting converter does not transfer audio. Is that true? Either way, Im curious is there a type of AUX cable that blocks the iPhones Ohm output so that I can avoid the annoying hiss of dual amping. 

Jun 20, 2014 at 7:41 AM Post #2 of 11
As far as I know the L9 with the lighting converter does not transfer audio. Is that true?

If you buy genuine Apple's Lightning-to-30pins adapter, it will output line-out to L9.

Im curious is there a type of AUX cable that blocks the iPhones Ohm output so that I can avoid the annoying hiss of dual amping. 

The term "ohm output" makes no sense to me. If you are hearing hiss, most likely it is from E6 on high volume. Try to increase your iPhone headphone-out volume near max (but not on max, try two steps down) and decrease the volume on E6.

Jun 21, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #3 of 11
Maybe I'm confused. the iPhone has an internal Amp and that sends power through the AUX jack to the headphones. is that power not considered Ohm output? 

Jun 21, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #4 of 11
Nope, there is no such thing as Ohm output. There is output impedance measured in Ohms. 

Anyways, dual amping doesn't cause hiss, IEM's on average quality inexpensive amps will. Honestly I'd be shocked if you didn't get better performance straight out of the iPhone ditching the E6 altogether. 

Jun 21, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #5 of 11
  Maybe I'm confused. the iPhone has an internal Amp and that sends power through the AUX jack to the headphones. is that power not considered Ohm output? 

The input impedance of a normal portable amp is high enough that the iPhone doesn't send power to the amp (aka 'driving the amp'). Instead, the iPhone is functioning like a voltage source. The portable amp is the one that is actively driving the load (*headphone). As said, the term 'Ohm output' doesn't really exist.

Jun 21, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #6 of 11
Thanks for the knowledge ClieOS. While we are here, could upgrading the aux cable going from my phone to the amp to an OFC cable increase sound quality? Or what type of cable is your favorite?

Jun 21, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #8 of 11
Thanks for the knowledge ClieOS. While we are here, could upgrading the aux cable going from my phone to the amp to an OFC cable increase sound quality? Or what type of cable is your favorite?

I don't have a favorite type of cable. In fact, I don't pay attention to any of the cable hype at all. As long as the cable is in good build quality, it will do the job. Paying huge money on magic cable won't give you anything, except perhaps something to brag about in front of your friends, so don't bother.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back