Is there a Q-jays appreciation thread?
Nov 7, 2010 at 6:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Pianist

Headphoneus Supremus
I am wondering if there is one. I tried searching, but with no success. If there isn't one already, I want to start my own. These IEMs are probably the most musical I've heard besides Shure SE530, IMO of course. Add to that the fantastic ergonomics and these have to be a real winner at their price point. I know there's also the UE700, but I didn't really like it for some reason. The sound just wasn't my cup of tea - it reminded me a lot of Super.fi 5 Pro with their unnatural peak in the lower treble and lack of texture in the mids. Q-jays, on the other hand, have excellent mids - detailed and accurate - and are just such great all arounders IMO.

Nov 8, 2010 at 7:33 AM Post #2 of 11
There used to be a lot of threads about the q-Jays 12-18 months ago, but they don't get talked about much anymore.

I personally disliked the q-Jays. I found them too bright and forward with very little warmth or atmosphere. For a dual driver I was surprised at the lack of bass. In fairness, there was some quite punchy detailed bass but it was too fast with no decay ... okay for fast dance music maybe, but I found it utterly unconvincing with classical.

The ergonomics were okay, but nothing special. The cable without extension was too short and with the extension was way too long with a large connector that bounced around and caused annoying cable microphonics. The supplied carry-case was literally useless as it's too small for the earphones and cable to fit into. My overall opinion of the q-Jays was one of style over substance.

To top it off, the driver in the right earbud of my pair started distorting badly after just a 3 or 4 weeks of careful use and I had to send them back for a "warranty repair" ... after waiting for nearly 2 months I was eventually told by automated email that I'd been refunded without any further explanation. Poor customer service in my opinion.

I wouldn't buy another Jays product.

Nov 8, 2010 at 8:29 AM Post #3 of 11

Quote:
There used to be a lot of threads about the q-Jays 12-18 months ago, but they don't get talked about much anymore.

I personally disliked the q-Jays. I found them too bright and forward with very little warmth or atmosphere. For a dual driver I was surprised at the lack of bass. In fairness, there was some quite punchy detailed bass but it was too fast with no decay ... okay for fast dance music maybe, but I found it utterly unconvincing with classical.

The ergonomics were okay, but nothing special. The cable without extension was too short and with the extension was way too long with a large connector that bounced around and caused annoying cable microphonics. The supplied carry-case was literally useless as it's too small for the earphones and cable to fit into. My overall opinion of the q-Jays was one of style over substance.

To top it off, the driver in the right earbud of my pair started distorting badly after just a 3 or 4 weeks of careful use and I had to send them back for a "warranty repair" ... after waiting for nearly 2 months I was eventually told by automated email that I'd been refunded without any further explanation. Poor customer service in my opinion.

Hi,

Waiting for two months? Then it is a retailer and not JAYS that have had issues regarding your claim. If you could PM me which one and what have happened in detail I would be thankful. JAYS is very serious about customer care so please update me because what you describe is not acceptable.

Regards Peter

Nov 8, 2010 at 10:34 AM Post #5 of 11

Quote:
The only thing that's kept me away is the lack of effeciecy. Is there any muti driver coming from Jays that will be freindlier with a DAP?

I think q-jays sound great straight out of a DAP. They are not the most efficient sure, but they are not hard to drive either. The lower efficiency virtually eliminates hiss from your sources, which is a big plus in my book - there are many otherwise great sounding DAP, IEM combinations that are ruined by annoying, detail masking hiss.

Nov 8, 2010 at 10:53 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

I think you are either a basshead or you got a bad fit. Q-jays do not lack bass in any way - the bass is all there with just the right quantity IMO. Not sure what you mean by too fast. I don't think bass can be too fast. No decay? Not sure - I found q-jays very detailed in the low end.

You can eliminate most of the microphonics by wearing the IEMs with the cable over the ear - did you try that? To eliminate the bouncing, you can use a shirt clip. The included case is pretty bad indeed I agree on that, but it's easy to find a different one where Q-jays will fit fine. You can just use a little box or something, no big deal.

Now, you say you waited for 2 months - did you try contacting Jays multiple times? Did you try going on here into the sponsor forums and making a thread about your problem in there?

Nov 8, 2010 at 12:46 PM Post #7 of 11

Quote:

I think q-jays sound great straight out of a DAP. They are not the most efficient sure, but they are not hard to drive either. The lower efficiency virtually eliminates hiss from your sources, which is a big plus in my book - there are many otherwise great sounding DAP, IEM combinations that are ruined by annoying, detail masking hiss.

No doubt but 95db is stretching it for some players amps and will shorten playtime on all. I haven't found hiss an issue on anything under 112 db or so. Even 105 db takes 10 times less power to drive than 95. 3db=2 x watts. Certainly doesn't make them worse sounding and may have been required for their goodness. Everything is trade offs and if this is one for their sound then they made a good choice.
regular_smile .gif
 Just not one for my personal needs as I use fuze when on the go and in noisier environments. My touch would probably be fine though.

Nov 8, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #8 of 11
i may as well chip in here, not that ive had the time to stick them in my ears but the Q-Jays are excellent.  while i cant put them at the top table they are still one of the best IEM's out there. 

oh and Pianist i agree about the UE700 too, they just dont compare

Nov 9, 2010 at 6:59 AM Post #9 of 11

Quote:
Quote:

I think you are either a basshead or you got a bad fit. Q-jays do not lack bass in any way - the bass is all there with just the right quantity IMO. Not sure what you mean by too fast. I don't think bass can be too fast. No decay? Not sure - I found q-jays very detailed in the low end.

You can eliminate most of the microphonics by wearing the IEMs with the cable over the ear - did you try that? To eliminate the bouncing, you can use a shirt clip. The included case is pretty bad indeed I agree on that, but it's easy to find a different one where Q-jays will fit fine. You can just use a little box or something, no big deal.

Now, you say you waited for 2 months - did you try contacting Jays multiple times? Did you try going on here into the sponsor forums and making a thread about your problem in there?

Sorry mate. I'm sure it's unintentional, and your post is intended to be helpful, but I found it a bit patronising. I'm not a bass head or new to IEMs. I know what I like and I didn't like the q-Jays.

Jun 28, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #10 of 11
Hi guys, rather than making a new thread I figured I'd just post here.

The right ear piece of my Jays headphones recently stopped working. I purchased them in january 2010 so they are still covered by the 2 year warranty.
I purchased them from http://www.jaysearphones.co.uk and I still have the receipt but the website doesn't seem to be working anymore, does anyone know who I should get into contact with?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Jun 28, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #11 of 11
They have a a facebook account. Also this seller is the official dealer of Jays in the Uk so of you contact Jays you are covered

Users who are viewing this thread

Back