Is there a portable amp that can drive the 580s
Jul 22, 2002 at 12:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

LTUCCI1924

Headphoneus Supremus
HI all:
Is there a portable amp that can drive the 580s to a good performance level with out haveing to spend lots of money like the cosmic at 750.00? I have the total airhead and the supreme in portable mod ant much better than the airhead. For me these don't drive the 580s to a very good sound level.

Jul 22, 2002 at 1:10 AM Post #2 of 13
My CMOY drives the 580s cleanly to a high level without going past 12 o'clock on volume.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm surprised that your Supreme won't do the job.
confused.gif

Jul 22, 2002 at 1:13 AM Post #3 of 13
I'm surprised no one mentioned it but the Meta42 drives them very well.
The price is very reasonable too, even for a "balls out" one.
biggrin.gif

Jul 22, 2002 at 6:52 AM Post #4 of 13
I don't think the problem is that he can't turn the volume up without clipping--I think he's just trying to make it sound good. The problem is that portable CD players don't really sound good so there's not a lot you can do there. You might want to wait and see how the PDAC turns out if your portable CD player has a digital output or you're willing to buy one that does.

Jul 22, 2002 at 10:27 AM Post #5 of 13
kelly
HI: I use my mini disc and at 5 m/w my total airhead cant get the 580s to a decent sound level even when at max . My suprme is not any better than my total airhead in portable mod. It puts out the same volume and at max all the way up it atill ant very loud with my 580. I was woundering if this metal42 had more power that the air head or supreme in portable mod.

Jul 24, 2002 at 2:39 PM Post #6 of 13
I've been very happy with my Porta CORDA and the Senn 580s I got from Jan bundled with it. With my Panasonic SL-CT580 volume WFO I get enough volume not to go beyond 2/3rds on the Porta. The price should be in your bracket and battery life with alkaline 9V has been running just past 50hrs.

Jul 26, 2002 at 11:00 PM Post #7 of 13
JMT's CHA47 amp is definitely louder than the TA. I found this out at the Headroom road show. To me the TA is loud enough on my Panasonic 570 and Senn 580s. Are you sure you're not causing any hearing damage? Also, I'm not sure this is an option, but if you could turn the gain up on your source feeding the TA, without causing additional noise/distortion, you'd obviously be getting more volume because the TA can definitely handle it (at least my 9V version can).

Jul 27, 2002 at 6:48 AM Post #8 of 13
If volume is an issue, i'm listening right now to my HD580s with my META42 at 12 o'clock on the volume, and its more than loud enough... or if its clarity you're after... hmm, as Kelly said, its not going to be easy, do you actually use your HD580s out in the street Lou? If so, would a closed pair of headphones be more what you're after... so then you wouldn't need to drive the headphones so loudly??

Jul 27, 2002 at 7:14 AM Post #9 of 13
seriously...save yourself the portable hassle and just get a D-25S. Spend the rest of the money on music (or your home rig
evil_smiley.gif
)

Jul 27, 2002 at 8:46 AM Post #10 of 13
Do you listen to your music at excessively loud levels? Looking at your profile and your taste in music, it doesn't sound like you do...
have you considered getting a different minidisc? perhaps you can find one that outputs at a higher wattage. it sounds odd that you simply cannot achieve the desired volumes (even ignoring sound quality).

Jul 27, 2002 at 12:30 PM Post #11 of 13
HI all:
I use my 580s in different rooms in my house and in the back yard but find that the total airhead and supreme in portable mode just dont give them enought power for the wow factor. The supreme hooked up to my stereo cd deck and tape from my stereo has the wow factor. I ant buying another mini disc but use my koss-35 and get the wow factor with my total airhead and mini disc. My 580s sound better than my koss-35s but I cant get enought power to drive them to that wow factor in portable. Its that the mini disc is only 5 m/w out put so 300 ohms is to much for the amps to work with the 5 m/w out put for the 300 ohms.

Jul 28, 2002 at 2:04 AM Post #12 of 13
hi lou

i use my sony mz-n707 minidisc player ran through a markertek mini-mini to a cmoy with my HD600s and with the minidisc volume at half with the bass and treble maxed and the amp knob at three quarters it is plenty loud and to me has a wow factor......it would help if my gain was a bit higher but that mod will have to wait....

but...the minidisc does drive the ksc35's just fine...so if i use just the minidisc player with no amp i use the koss......

just my .02
ray

ps:some minidisc players have a volume limiter and if your getting a really low volume going to the amp then that could hurt your sound..maybe.....

Aug 4, 2002 at 6:20 PM Post #13 of 13
HI: problem solved. I got a cmoy 2-9volt portable amp and it runs my 580s ,my philips 890s and all the rest of my cans to a good level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back