Is there a full-size closed headphone (circumaural or supraaural) as comfortable as Bose under $100
post-7184057
Post #1 of 3

zoofer

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
Is there a full-sized headphone as comfortable as the Bose Triports? I have a large to x-large sized cranium and my almost 2 year old Senn HD280pro is still too uncomfortable due to the high clamping force (believe me, I've tried all the suggestions to loosen them up with no success). I have a low-end Koss IEM but prefer the feel of full size phones.

The Bose fit my head perfectly and feel great, but I simply can't afford them. And I know I can get far better audio quality for 1/2 the price (or less).

I listen to mostly classical, with 80's rock a close second.

Any suggestions on comfortable headphones in the $100 or less price range would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

post-7184200
Post #2 of 3

tdockweiler

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Not really that I'm aware of. There is, but it requires some modification. What I did was take the Beyer Dynamic DT-235 and replace the pads with those of the Maxell DHP-II ($30-$40). You now have converted the DT-235 to a circumaural headphone and it's probably the most comfortable headphone ever made. There is ZERO clamping force and the pads feel just like the Triports.

I was just going to say get the DHP-II but those are semi-open. They might have enough isolation to make them sound closed. On the sides there is a small grill with foam behind it. If it wasn't for that they'd be closed. Those have memory foam for the pads.

I use both these headphones and it's hard to say which sounds the best.

Actually one idea is the AKG K44 MK II. I don't know if it sounds better than the Triport but they're dirt cheap. Zero clamping force with them, but they are a little goofy looking.

MDR-V6 with the Pearstone Velour pads is also one option, but they will make your ears hot after a few hours.

Koss Pro DJ 100 with the M30/V6 pads is also extremely comfortable. You'd have to pay $80 for the headphone and $15 for the pads.

BTW I think for classical, the DT-235 is pretty nice. The pads out of the box are that fuzzy velour, but they're supra-aural. They're very comfortable though. Somehow the DHP-II pads fits them PERFECTLY. Who would have known!

Here's a picture of the DT-235 with the DHP-II pads. The pads are basically the same as the Triport pads. Memory foam and all. Tell me if these are not the ugliest, most comfortable headphones ever! I think if I was sent the black version I had ordered, they'd look pretty cool! You just wouldn't believe how comfortable these are on your head!

post-7184480
Post #3 of 3

zoofer

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Actually you mentioned two headphones that I have been considering - the Maxell DHP-II and the Beyer DT-235. The Maxell's get horrible quality control reviews at Amazon, although they get excellent audio quality points here at head-fi. The DT-235 get very good audio quality reviews also.

But you've given me some good ideas. Thank you very, very much!  

Quote:
Not really that I'm aware of. There is, but it requires some modification. What I did was take the Beyer Dynamic DT-235 and replace the pads with those of the Maxell DHP-II ($30-$40). You now have converted the DT-235 to a circumaural headphone and it's probably the most comfortable headphone ever made. There is ZERO clamping force and the pads feel just like the Triports.

I was just going to say get the DHP-II but those are semi-open. They might have enough isolation to make them sound closed. On the sides there is a small grill with foam behind it. If it wasn't for that they'd be closed. Those have memory foam for the pads.

I use both these headphones and it's hard to say which sounds the best.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)