Is there a difference in IEM's and earphones? and need help to choose a set to buy
Apr 20, 2018 at 8:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

shaun98makin

New Head-Fier
Hi, might be a stupid question but Whats the difference in IEM's and Earphones? I have been looking at new ear phones and got stuck between the MEE audio M7 Pro, Whizzer Haydn A15 PRO and these Sony XBA-N1AP earphones.
can anyone tell me what ones are best? I mostly listen to bass heavy music like house/dance etc.
also my first question on what the difference is are the sonys still IEM's? the first two brands look a different so i wasn't sure.

thanks

Apr 20, 2018 at 8:56 AM Post #2 of 8
Actually after reading your post, I am searching on the internet what is the definition of IEM. It is very ambiguous and there is no set of rule to define what is classified as an IEM. IMO, IEM gives you better separation and details than earphones because its main purpose is for monitoring (In Ear Monitor). Some people said the response has to be flat and uncoloured. I am not agreed to this saying but well since audio is subjective.

I owned the predecessor of Sony XBA-N1AP, XBA-A1AP before I upgraded it to Campfire Nova. The bass is pretty decent and dynamic. V shaped kind of sound signature. I think it is a better model as compared to the other 2 since you like bass heavy music. The bass is not the strongest but the finest based on my preference.

Apr 20, 2018 at 9:02 AM Post #3 of 8
frankly, the terms "iems" and "earphones" dont really mean much in terms of how good a product is going to be. manufacturers that call their products "iems" will probably make something that sounds better and performs better, but that doesn't mean a company that calls their products "earphones" only make bad sounding stuff and vice versa.

the best thing to do is to audition stuff if you can and choose what sounds best to you

Apr 20, 2018 at 9:07 AM Post #4 of 8
Actually after reading your post, I am searching on the internet what is the definition of IEM. It is very ambiguous and there is no set of rule to define what is classified as an IEM. IMO, IEM gives you better separation and details than earphones because its main purpose is for monitoring (In Ear Monitor). Some people said the response has to be flat and uncoloured. I am not agreed to this saying but well since audio is subjective.

I owned the predecessor of Sony XBA-N1AP, XBA-A1AP before I upgraded it to Campfire Nova. The bass is pretty decent and dynamic. V shaped kind of sound signature. I think it is a better model as compared to the other 2 since you like bass heavy music. The bass is not the strongest but the finest based on my preference.
i know its a hard question to answer but out of the 3 what would you go for bass wise?

Apr 20, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #5 of 8
frankly, the terms "iems" and "earphones" dont really mean much in terms of how good a product is going to be. manufacturers that call their products "iems" will probably make something that sounds better and performs better, but that doesn't mean a company that calls their products "earphones" only make bad sounding stuff and vice versa.

the best thing to do is to audition stuff if you can and choose what sounds best to you
Thanks but i'd imagine that would get expensive very quickly haha ive just spent £200+ on 2 pairs just to test them :dt880smile:

Apr 20, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #6 of 8
Hi, might be a stupid question but Whats the difference in IEM's and Earphones?

In-Ear Monitors are distinct from earbuds/earphones in the design of the driver housing with regards to ear coupling. IEMs may have different designs but the core desing element is a bore that goes relatively deep into the ear canal that is either custom molded or has an eartip that fits over it to seal the ear canal. In some cases, particularly custom molded designs, have a larger earpiece that allows for larger drivers and/or air space, so you can fit larger dynamic drivers or several balanced armature drivers with the necessary crossover network.

Some earbud designs by now are somewhere between the design of traditional earbuds with foam pads and IEM ear tips, like Apple's Air Pods.

also my first question on what the difference is are the sonys still IEM's? the first two brands look a different so i wasn't sure.

Those are all in-ears. Driver and housing designs are otherwise not identical.

Apr 22, 2018 at 5:12 AM Post #8 of 8
i know its a hard question to answer but out of the 3 what would you go for bass wise?
I tried 2 out of the 3 models listed (N1AP and M7 Pro. Personally I would choose N1AP because the bass is more well controlled. You can still feel the punch without the need of compromising the mid. Low is performing well at its regime without bleeding towards the mids and the highs. This is what I like - solid :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back