Is there a difference between Punk and New Wave
Aug 8, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #2 of 49
yes

punk was late 70's anti establishment based on simple 3 chord rock while new wave followed later and was the beginning of electronica. ( a lot of early new wave had a social message - modern poetry put to music or often just emotional angst expressed as electonic music ) . I haven't listened to either genre for some time and imagine that the music released under each "label" has morphed considerably but that is how i remember them.

people who still follow the genre's will probably have different opinions.
smily_headphones1.gif
..dB

Aug 8, 2009 at 5:09 AM Post #4 of 49
dbel84 got it right. Punk is mostly guitar-based, while New Wave uses a lot of synths and laid the foundation for today's electronica. You'll also find a lot of New Wave to be more melody-oriented than punk, as well.

It's a shame that New Wave is such a niche and forgotten genre today. My formative years were spent listening to KROQ in Los Angeles where New Wave was championed. It was a breath of creative fresh air from the classic rock era and while it's underappreciated today, I hope it eventually achieves the popularity it deserves.

Aug 8, 2009 at 6:55 AM Post #5 of 49
Completely different styles, and stereotypes. nothing alike at all.

Punk = the ramones. dirty, raw, guitar driven, often passionate, rockin

new wave = Howard jones. clean cut, melodic, synth based, beautifully sung, dance like.

Aug 8, 2009 at 7:17 AM Post #6 of 49
NEW WAVE RULES! hey its coming back with lots of bands today like franz ferdinand the killers, the bravery, and many more. Also lots of bands continuing from the new wave era like depeche mode, new order, camouflage, pet shop boys, etc...

Aug 8, 2009 at 7:32 AM Post #7 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick 214 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll add to the above (very ample, IMO) response with a comparison:

Depeche Mode (early, '77ish)

vs.

Sex Pistols ('75-on)

NK

Very good illustration. Both genres are very different.

Aug 8, 2009 at 8:14 AM Post #8 of 49
what's exactly the difference betwwen new wave and electro pop of the 80's?

for example,which of the following group/artists are electro pop and which new wave?

kraftwerk,giorgio moroder,cretu(early works),depeche mode,omd,human league,yazoo,camouflage,tears for fears,new order,alphaville,propaganda,visage,ultravox,flock of seagulls,real life,simple minds,b-movie,classic nouveaux,billy idol,eurythmics,talk talk,soft cell,spandau ballet,duran duran,erasure,rick asley,alan parsons...

electro pop and new wave had some influence on each other i guess?

btw,i almost never get this feeling,energy+emotion,when i listen to today's music...

Aug 8, 2009 at 1:50 PM Post #9 of 49
Monkey-wrench: These days "new wave" has become synonymous with a parade of '80s synth bands, but back in the late '70s the term actually applied to things like Elvis Costello, the Pretenders and Squeeze. Just $.02…

Aug 8, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #10 of 49
tru blu is right... It started that the nerdy bouncy stuff with twangy vocals was called new wave... ex costello
biggrin.gif
then in the 80s new wave had so many sub genres like sophistipop( china crisis, style council, black), new romantic(spandau ballet, duran duran, human league), synth pop like early Depeche mode, camouflage, erasure and post punk like echo and the bunnymen, the wild swans, the chameleons, etc...

Aug 8, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #11 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a shame that New Wave is such a niche and forgotten genre today.

biggrin.gif
That made me giggle.

The term has never really done much for me - too broad.

Aug 8, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #13 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very good illustration. Both genres are very different.

Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

I like New Wave a lot, and don't think much of Punk. I like The Clash and Sex Pistols, but I find that musicians who don't know how to use their instruments... Well, are not musicians.

NK

Aug 8, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #14 of 49
Most early New Wave definitely did not use a lot of synths. Take for example The B-52s. Then there were artists who sort of blurred the line between New Wave and Punk, such as Blondie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back