Is there a "comfortable" headphone?
Aug 31, 2020 at 1:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

SHAMuuu

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm sorry I have lied in the past in some posts about headphones being comfortable. I mean they are comfortable in the context of cans. Like relief going from a heavy one to a ksc75
BAN ME!
I wear headphones 10-15 hours a day.
I tell myself they are comfortable. Toughen up, its ok, it will only lead to a bald spot.
These are light headphones, man up, some ppl wear those 500g-700g, yours is 200g!

Don't get me wrong overear gang, i soldier 10-15 hour sessions with dead grip ones and "rolls royce comfort" which last for a fifteen minutes and certain idiosyncrasies of each pad and the weight of over ears play a small role in irritation.

The most "comfortable" one I have is an mdr-f1 with dekoni fenestrated which you can still wear all day but still tickle time to time casuing scalp ...whats the medical term for floatinf headband flattening hair which is slightly annoying.. my others vintage (dt48/480 and sigma0 and just feel like there are aliens who have abducted you, and placed some alien head device :alien::tophat::eye:

post-868-0-90742600-1340748175_thumb.jpg

Not sure this is madness or genius. Endgame. but very "comfortable" but like wth am i doing in life to sit in chair like this with boxes on ear.

Not sure I want to go triple OG level saying this without a black belt on the streets.
14-6-beats.jpg

There is no comfortable headphone. Please tell me if you found one. Thank you.
images.jpeg

Reality? Final Fantasy.
images.jpeg

Attachments

• post-868-0-90742600-1340748175_thumb.jpg
    post-868-0-90742600-1340748175_thumb.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 31, 2020 at 6:42 AM Post #4 of 45
Lots of comfortable headphones out there!
HD580
HD58X
HD600
HD6XX
HD650
HD700
HD800
K701
K702
K612
K712
K7XX
R70x
Porta Pros
HFI-15g
K371
AFO
AFC

Then again if you feel the F1 is somewhat uncomfortable during long sessions...well then there is no hope for you! That’s one of the most comfortable cans I’ve ever owned.
Hans Christian Andersen once wrote a fairytale about a very sensitive princess who turned black and blue after having slept on a pea (with stacks upon stacks of matrasses on top of it). Are you by any chance related?:p

Edith:
Forgot about Hifiman! The Sundara is one of the most comfortable headphones in my collection.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2020 at 8:07 AM Post #5 of 45
Sennheiser HD700 most comfortable headphone I've ever used by a mile. You forget you are wearing them.
Interesting choice for sure!
Stax SR-Lambda, especially with the original frame like the normal bias, pro and signature
Had a DOA lambda once, found sigma more "comfortable" but i mean one has to sit still and not move their head with them on lol
Lots of comfortable headphones out there!
HD580
HD58X
HD600
HD6XX
HD650
HD700
HD800
K701
K702
K612
K712
K7XX
R70x
Porta Pros
HFI-15g
K371
AFO
AFC

Then again if you feel the F1 is somewhat uncomfortable during long sessions...well then there is no hope for you! That’s one of the most comfortable cans I’ve ever owned.
Hans Christian Andersen once wrote a fairytale about a very sensitive princess who turned black and blue after having slept on a pea (with stacks upon stacks of matrasses on top of it). Are you by any chance related?:p
Lmao. On certain days one can go unbothered, but other days any little annoyance can make one go mad. I guess in this game weather plays a role as well. My beef with f1 is single exit cable. Perhaps a light dual cable would be the solution. Though it is "comfortable" and can be worn all day the dekoni fenestrated sheeps reminds you your ear is trapped in leather prison.

Yes , 580 was cool, but the k7xx series squeaks and headband flattens hair and scalp doesn't hurt but bothered a bit after long hours. Sextetts with shure 1540 pads were close. anyway those were in past. Had some luck with sporta/porta brothers once.

I think my point is reviews claim like comfort has been achieved on headphones over 300g, and "disappear" and it may be slightly over- exaggerated. Just looking for one that truly disappears which i'm not sure is possible that is all, f1 being closest yep :p.

Btw i use dt880 99% of time but the pads/headband do bug me time to time..along with single exit cable.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #6 of 45
I’m not sure I can think of a more comfortable headphone outside of the F1. Perhaps the R70x. Weighs about the same as a twig with some gummibears glued on top. Dual sided as well plus some 470 ohms worth of dampening factor aka a true gem for tubes:)
Other than that? If you have a thick wallet and slightly hate it, I recommend the MySphere 3.1:wink:

Aug 31, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #7 of 45
It's all relative. Like personally KSC75s are less comfortable for me than most headphones because the ear hooks inevitably bother me. I don't think you'll find anything much more comfortable than your MDR-F1s. At the end of the day no headphone is as comfortable as just not having anything on your head, but unless you can use speakers it's all about finding the best compromise.

Aug 31, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #8 of 45
I’m not sure I can think of a more comfortable headphone outside of the F1. Perhaps the R70x. Weighs about the same as a twig with some gummibears glued on top. Dual sided as well plus some 470 ohms worth of dampening factor aka a true gem for tubes:)
Other than that? If you have a thick wallet and slightly hate it, I recommend the MySphere 3.1:wink:
Thx for the tips on rx70. And yeah at mysphere levels i would rather put toward building a project mr2 MKI twincharged.
It's all relative. Like personally KSC75s are less comfortable for me than most headphones because the ear hooks inevitably bother me. I don't think you'll find anything much more comfortable than your MDR-F1s. At the end of the day no headphone is as comfortable as just not having anything on your head, but unless you can use speakers it's all about finding the best compromise.
Yeah damn i should of said portapro/sportpro type ksc75/35 etc.Those ksc75 on light headband is quite something, though 10-15 hour stretches of on ear esp since they need to be pressed up to get them koss titanium coated ear drum tickling bass. And yeah F1 is badas$/ First time a dude from Kimber cable let me try his pair. Then i got one :D

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #9 of 45
Thx for the tips on rx70. And yeah at mysphere levels i would rather put toward building a project mr2 MKI twincharged.

Yeah damn i should of said portapro/sportpro type ksc75/35 etc.Those ksc75 on light headband is quite something, though 10-15 hour stretches of on ear esp since they need to be pressed up to get them koss titanium coated ear drum tickling bass. And yeah F1 is badas$/ First time a dude from Kimber cable let me try his pair. Then i got one :D

The stock pads are a little shallow on the R70x but it’s headband and general fit is probably the best I’ve come across with pad swap may be the most comfortable headphone I’ve ever worn. Was debating between the K712 and the R70x and just ordered an R70x as I liked its comfort more and I found the K712 with age lost some comfort when the elastics get weak and it’s not as snug in fit and they were never perfectly comfortable for me and I don’t like single entry cables much. The T1.2 is very comfortable (it and the Amiron Home are the most comfortable Beyers imho) but it has some weight, but I wear it many hours a day consistently with little issue, comfort in both fit and sound is a big reason it’s my main headphone. Nighthawk is also nice in terms of comfort. A K240 with dekoni elite velours was exceptionally comfortable but wish it was dual entry cable.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #11 of 45
The stock pads are a little shallow on the R70x but it’s headband and general fit is probably the best I’ve come across with pad swap may be the most comfortable headphone I’ve ever worn. Was debating between the K712 and the R70x and just ordered an R70x as I liked its comfort more and I found the K712 with age lost some comfort when the elastics get weak and it’s not as snug in fit and they were never perfectly comfortable for me and I don’t like single entry cables much. The T1.2 is very comfortable (it and the Amiron Home are the most comfortable Beyers imho) but it has some weight, but I wear it many hours a day consistently with little issue, comfort in both fit and sound is a big reason it’s my main headphone. Nighthawk is also nice in terms of comfort. A K240 with dekoni elite velours was exceptionally comfortable but wish it was dual entry cable.
yes, man i am not a fan of single entry. That doesn't sound right lol. like beyer wire coiled is heavy , and there long cable is just like wth come on Beyerdynamic dt880 almost perfect and you put this horrible one sided cable
Most comfortable headphones I have in my collection are the pioneer se-11. Only decent sounding
No more beautiful vintage until pandemic is over and long gone.
giphy.gif

Aug 31, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #12 of 45
Sennheiser HD700 most comfortable headphone I've ever used by a mile. You forget you are wearing them.
Then how do you really know? Maybe you took them off :D

Aug 31, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #13 of 45
Then how do you really know? Maybe you took them off :D
Haha

Seriously tho this should be the goal of all headphones in comfort, to be comfortably transparent as if not there. The hd700 does this far better than either the HD6xx (clamping force fatigue), hd8xx (massive earcups face fatigue), or grados (ear pressure/friction fatigue).

The super transparent fit of the hd700 with it's glove-like light earcups and minimal clamping combined with it's big soundstage that appears to extend beyond the headphone driver tricks you into thinking you don't have headphones on sometimes. Just need right amp to tame its highs :)

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #15 of 45
Haha

Seriously tho this should be the goal of all headphones in comfort, to be comfortably transparent as if not there. The hd700 does this far better than either the HD6xx (clamping force fatigue), hd8xx (massive earcups face fatigue), or grados (ear pressure/friction fatigue).

The super transparent fit of the hd700 with it's glove-like light earcups and minimal clamping combined with it's big soundstage that appears to extend beyond the headphone driver tricks you into thinking you don't have headphones on sometimes. Just need right amp to tame its highs :)

I agree with you about the 600s and 800s. I don't find them comfortable for the same reasons plus the headstrap on the 800 hurts me. I never had a chance to try the 700s.

My most comfortable set is probably one of the Audezes. The strap distributes weight so it doesn't feel heavy and the earpads are great. I feel like I'm down inside them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back