Is there a closed SR-60?
Aug 19, 2002 at 11:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

mlchang

100+ Head-Fier
Meaning, is there a closed equivalent to the Grado SR-60...For under 100 dollars it appears that the choices are basically the MDR-V6, the 7506, or the HD 280 Pro.
I haven't heard any of these, so my question to the more experienced head-fiers is...do any of these sound like a Grado? Or maybe it should be phrased, for people who like Grados, which closed can do they tend to prefer.

I would like a headphone (but not earbuds, or Etys) that is closed with moderate isolation, reasonably priced and sounds about like the SR-60s. I'm not looking for anything stunning.

Thanks everyone.

Michael

Aug 20, 2002 at 12:13 AM Post #2 of 6
It's apples and oranges... I use the Grado 60's daily, and own only the 280 Pro of the closed cans you mentioned. They're no Grados... I don't think you'll be able to acheive the open sound of the Grados with a closed can. I'm hoping others will chime in, when it comes to closed cans I'm an Ety user...

Aug 20, 2002 at 12:32 AM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for the reply...but
smily_headphones1.gif

Perhaps I should phrase my question a little more carefully...
It is clear to me that I definitely won't be able to find the "open" sound quality of the Grado, but I would like the approximate dynamic and tonal balance of the headphone. Meaning treble, mid, and bass balance that approximates the balance of the SR-60. The slightly forward, "punchy" presentation would be nice too.

Michael

Aug 20, 2002 at 12:44 AM Post #4 of 6
I have the Grado SR60 and the Sony MDR-V6. Theyr'e both great. If you like the Grados, I think you'd like the V6s -- they have an involving and exciting sound, they're bright, and have a deep, strong, but not boomy bass. When I need closed phones the MDR-V6s are wonderful. The isolation is very good for my taste. I've never heard the 280s.

Aug 20, 2002 at 1:45 AM Post #5 of 6
I'd have to A/B them tomorrow at work (they're both in my office), but the 280's do not have the forward punchy presentation of the Grados. They're not bright and the bass is well, different. (I have trouble describing these things...
rolleyes.gif
) I also haven't spent much time with the 280's, so...

Aug 20, 2002 at 2:07 AM Post #6 of 6
I have the Grado SR-80 and the Sony V6 -- they're similar in comparision to cans on the other end of the spectrum, but really they're not so close. The mids and highs of the two 'phones are similar, but there's an obvious difference in the bass -- the SR-80's is much more impactful. I haven't heard the SR-60, but from what I hear it doesn't have quite the bass impact that the SR-80, so the difference there might be less drastic.

Still, according to the good denizens of these boards, there are only two real choices for budget closed cans: the V6 and the Senn HD280. So that should be your question if you definitely want a closed headphone. ...

kerelybonto

Users who are viewing this thread

Back