Is the Woo Audio GES a significant upgrade (Stax SRM-006t)?
Jul 5, 2012 at 12:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

howlndog

Head-Fier
I have a Stax SRM-006t driving a pair of SR-404 Sigs and was wondering if the Woo Audio GES is considered a significant upgrade to the Stax amp?

Jul 9, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #4 of 12
thanks, fellas

Nov 3, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #6 of 12
Fully AC coupled, no adjustment for the output stage and single ended only so you always have to use the phase splitter.  This is just the design and then the Woo Audio execution is a whole other can of worms. 

That said, a better version of the GES can be built and I have one in production.  Fully balanced, lower distortion, better PSU and even smaller than the Woo version...

Nov 3, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #7 of 12
Now you're making me curious. Are you building?
Quote:
Fully AC coupled, no adjustment for the output stage and single ended only so you always have to use the phase splitter.  This is just the design and then the Woo Audio execution is a whole other can of worms. 

That said, a better version of the GES can be built and I have one in production.  Fully balanced, lower distortion, better PSU and even smaller than the Woo version...

Nov 3, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #8 of 12
Yeah but why on earth did I say in production, a bit of Icelandic slipping through unannounced. 
redface.gif
  I'm building one for myself as a proof of concept so we can release the design.  Well that and I have this lovely little PSU I designed for the B-10 project and it's perfect for the GES.  I always buy extra of everything so I had an extra transformer as well which works perfectly. 

Nov 3, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #9 of 12
Very interesting :)  Do you have a building thread or something?
Quote:
Yeah but why on earth did I say in production, a bit of Icelandic slipping through unannounced. 
redface.gif
  I'm building one for myself as a proof of concept so we can release the design.  Well that and I have this lovely little PSU I designed for the B-10 project and it's perfect for the GES.  I always buy extra of everything so I had an extra transformer as well which works perfectly. 

Nov 4, 2012 at 9:09 AM Post #12 of 12
I'll post it over there when it's finished.  It will take a while as the chassis I chose is so small I can't install full size XLR inputs so mini XLR's it is.  Then it's hope and prayer time that the PSU fits as it's very close height wise.  Keeping the builds small is half the fun though as it is so much more demanding.  Placement of every wire matters and they need to be built up in layers.  Better performance too...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back