Is the Sylvania 6SN7W short black base comparable to the 6SN7W metal base?
Mar 17, 2007 at 3:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

SonicDawg

1000+ Head-Fier
I just scored a bundle of tubes (some Ken-rad's and a Sylvania 6SN7W short black base) for about 30 dollars. The tubes test great. However, I am wondering how close is the performance of the short Syl compared to the metal bass?

Mar 17, 2007 at 4:04 AM Post #2 of 11
I've only heard the metal base Sylvania 6SN7W, but if the short bottle black base one is anywhere near as good, you are in for a real treat!
biggrin.gif

Mar 17, 2007 at 4:29 AM Post #3 of 11
Supposedly, the short bottle black base has better low-level detail, whereas the tall bottle has more slam. The short bottle is by far my favorite driver tube for HD650s in my Singlepower MPX3 Slam SE
smily_headphones1.gif

Search for adhoc's reference 6SN7 thread, there are more impressions there.

Mar 17, 2007 at 4:34 AM Post #4 of 11
I have read through that thread so many times before plunging into a ebay tube hunting spree
biggrin.gif
I am still not sure whether it has the same big sound as reported of the metal base. I am mostly looking for great top ends to compliment my system.

Mar 17, 2007 at 6:49 AM Post #5 of 11
I’ve got both. IMO, the metal base tall bottle is far superior in nearly every category. The 6SN7W short bottle is a great tube, but it’s hard rolling it in when I know how much better the metal base sounds in my system and it’s just sitting there staring at me. The metal not only has that additional slam factor, but better detail, balance, extension, and musicality. The 6SN7W short bottle black base gets close, but it’s laid back, softer edges, and overall smoother presention isn't ideal in my rig; right now it’s my back-up tube.

Mar 17, 2007 at 7:27 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by 909 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I’ve got both. IMO, the metal base tall bottle is far superior in nearly every category. The 6SN7W short bottle is a great tube, but it’s hard rolling it in when I know how much better the metal base sounds in my system and it’s just sitting there staring at me. The metal not only has that additional slam factor, but better detail, balance, extension, and musicality. The 6SN7W short bottle black base gets close, but it’s laid back, softer edges, and overall smoother presention isn't ideal in my rig; right now it’s my back-up tube.

Thanks for the info about the metal Syl. I know that it is still a better match for my system, but with its steep price right now it's nearly improbable for me to get it any time soon (or ever
plainface.gif
) I am also looking at the Raythion VT231 right now, which is supposedly more forward sounding and forceful, something I am looking for.

Mar 17, 2007 at 9:21 PM Post #7 of 11
I also have Sylv metal base and Sylv short bottle W's and do prefer the metal base. It's just got a special clarity and sparkle from treble to bass. Verry niicee, like a really high-class, sophisticated silver cable. But the current prices are plain crazy.

There are lots of 6SN7/VT231's out there that sound great on their own terms, so don't neglect these due to the perceived "must-have-the-best" syndrome. Try some CBS/Hytron 6SN7, KenRad VT231, National Union black/grey glass, 1952 Sylvania 6SN7GT, non-roundplate TungSol's, etc. All wonderful tubes in their own right.

Mar 18, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #8 of 11
I haven't heard the metal base 6SN7W, but I do own a pair of the short bottles. The short bottle W is definitely no slouch. I also have a Sylvania VT-231 and the Ken Rad VT-231, and out of the three the short bottle W is the favorite. Tube World had a cryo'd 6SN7W metal base for $280 a couple months ago(think it's still on there), but I couldn't see spending that much for a single tube.

Mar 18, 2007 at 3:56 AM Post #9 of 11
"I am also looking at the Raythion VT231 right now, which is supposedly more forward sounding and forceful, something I am looking for."

If you are looking for a "more forward sounding and forceful tube", then I would direct you to the ECC1 adapter for your SinglePower Amp. This would allow you to use; 12au7, 12av7, 12ay7, 5814 tubes, etc, and many others. Most all of which will produce a more fast, forward/forceful sound with the 580/600/650 Sennheiser family of headphones than the 6sn7's.

- augustwest

Mar 18, 2007 at 6:19 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"I am also looking at the Raythion VT231 right now, which is supposedly more forward sounding and forceful, something I am looking for."

If you are looking for a "more forward sounding and forceful tube", then I would direct you to the ECC1 adapter for your SinglePower Amp. This would allow you to use; 12au7, 12av7, 12ay7, 5814 tubes, etc, and many others. Most all of which will produce a more fast, forward/forceful sound with the 580/600/650 Sennheiser family of headphones than the 6sn7's.

- augustwest

QFT. The other driver tube I've used the most is the Raytheon 6414. I've switched it out because I found it a little too upfront and etched, so I actually went the reverse of 909 and wanted a slightly softer, but still sparkly and not rolled off, presentation. The short bottle does that very well for me.

Mar 18, 2007 at 10:08 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest /img/forum/go_quote.gif

- augustwest

Thanks for the recommendation, but I am currently using Darkvoice as my amp. I wonder if I can too use an adaptor?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back