Is the SR-60 sound signature representative of other Grados?
Mar 3, 2006 at 2:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Daishiman

New Head-Fier
Let me start by acknowledging my total newbishness in the world of hi-fi. I bought an HD280 based on recommendations from some people, but comments from these forums are giving me some serious upgradeitis in search for superior sound quality without the requirement of isolation.

I recently tried out the SR-60s in a music store. They are certainly more, shall we say, "musical" than the 280s, but they lack some serious resolution unlike the Senns. What sounded with the 280s as a sweet press of a piano key in Bohemian Rhapsody felt like somone throwing a brick at it. And the highs felt harsher than the 280s.

I certainly feel that the Grados would be superior for rock and metal, but I'd like a headphone that could do more. Is there a decent Grado solution at the price point of say, Senn 555s?

Mar 3, 2006 at 3:33 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daishiman
Let me start by acknowledging my total newbishness in the world of hi-fi. I bought an HD280 based on recommendations from some people, but comments from these forums are giving me some serious upgradeitis in search for superior sound quality without the requirement of isolation.

I recently tried out the SR-60s in a music store. They are certainly more, shall we say, "musical" than the 280s, but they lack some serious resolution unlike the Senns. What sounded with the 280s as a sweet press of a piano key in Bohemian Rhapsody felt like somone throwing a brick at it. And the highs felt harsher than the 280s.

I certainly feel that the Grados would be superior for rock and metal, but I'd like a headphone that could do more. Is there a decent Grado solution at the price point of say, Senn 555s?

Yeah, the SR60 is very telling of what you're going to get from higher end grados. As you go up the line, you'll get better impact, smoother frequency all around, and more detail / refinement from your sound.

Mar 3, 2006 at 3:52 PM Post #3 of 5
Mercuttio is more or less correct, although the higher end Grados (excluding RS-1 and RS-2) are general brighter-sounding than the lower end ones. I haven't heard the RS-1 or RS-2, but apparently they have better controlled highs.

Mar 3, 2006 at 4:08 PM Post #4 of 5
The upper Grado's have better deep bass output and generally clearer highs.

Mar 3, 2006 at 4:15 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
Mercuttio is more or less correct, although the higher end Grados (excluding RS-1 and RS-2) are general brighter-sounding than the lower end ones. I haven't heard the RS-1 or RS-2, but apparently they have better controlled highs.

The 60 and 125 were the brightest I've listened to. The 80 and 225 were more laid back, the 225 moreso than the 80. Haven't listened to the 325/i, but I hear that's almost as bad the 125.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back