Is the Sony NW-HD5 any good even though its so old?
Jan 25, 2013 at 4:34 AM Post #16 of 25
Oct 27, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #18 of 25
I just dug out my NW-HD5 after not listening to it for couple of years. 

Wow, seriously good-sounding player.  No idea how Sony achieved it.  It can't play lossless (about 350kbps is the max).  With no external amp it has a seriously impressive ability to power my headphones.  It has a nice sound signature to it.  It's quite warm but with a kind of dry clarity too, bass is punchy, instruments are separated nicely but work together beatifully.  It just seems a very 'musical' player, especially compared to my s:flo2 (which is very powerful, but lacks that nice sound signature). 

I might have to find a version of Sonic Stage somewhere so I can make this my main player.  It must be almost 10 years old. 

Oct 28, 2013 at 6:14 AM Post #20 of 25
Also, the easily replaceable battery is a nice feature.

You should be able to find old versions of Sonic Stage online. If you can't, PM me and I'll see if I can find something...

Jan 14, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #21 of 25
i left this in my drawers for 2 years and never use it with external amp (line out) before..

yesterday, out of the blue i took it out and try it with an amp..

WOW!

its good! The mid is so sweet! the breath of the singer so real! the jus nice treble~ no bommy bass

Sweet!

I might not as good for modern music as some player but this is one real sweet sounding player.. i hv yet to try the modern sony players (F800, F880, X1000, ZX1 all only try at Sony store, which sound good for modern music..i think)

sweet old sony sound~ 

Oct 26, 2016 at 5:57 AM Post #23 of 25
Hi - how do you get the outer case off? I've undone the 2 screas at the bottom, and it slides down about 2mm then it stops - is there some other screw that needs taking out? I wondered if the side strap eyelet needs to come off...

Oct 26, 2016 at 6:00 AM Post #24 of 25
Hello - I need to fix the one channel only headphone socket, but I'm struggling to get the outer case off - I've taken the 2 bottom screws off, and it slides down about 2mm, then stops - what else needs to come off? Maybe the strap eyelet?

Nov 14, 2017 at 9:03 AM Post #25 of 25
Hello - I need to fix the one channel only headphone socket, but I'm struggling to get the outer case off - I've taken the 2 bottom screws off, and it slides down about 2mm, then stops - what else needs to come off? Maybe the strap eyelet?

Digging up an old thread here - but I also found my old HD5 recently! Bought a new battery, all seems to work fine. I'd be interested in upgrading the HDD, if anyone has any advice it's welcome!

As far as taking the case off, there's a screw at the top, underneath the charging cover...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back