Is the MEZE 99 CLASSICS maybe the best for vocals/midrange?
Aug 9, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #2 of 22
Best mids Ive ever heard are:

HE-500
AKG K240 sextetts
ZMF Atticus
ATH AD2000s (Non-X-version)

Aug 11, 2018 at 6:49 PM Post #6 of 22
I have recently purchased the PSB M4U1 which are tremendous for vocals. Mid range very good but there are sets with slightly better detail (not that it's lacking in anyway, just not in your face with it)

Aug 11, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #7 of 22
Nope. Are we talking about at any price range, or 99 classic price range and under? Either way, better definitely exists, and the Classics are a great listen.

Aug 11, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #9 of 22
Highly doubt it lol. I've heard tons of headphones in pretty much every price range and let me tell you, once you get to flagship territory, they tend to beat everything in much lower price ranges in every single way, by huge margins. Especially top tier Stax setups; obviously they cost WAY more, but they are just untouchable compared to all non-electrostats in every way except imaging (HD 800/HD 800 S) and sound stage where electrostats don't have an inherent advantage (nor disadvantage).

So the best vocals and mids I have ever heard in a headphone are from the Stax SR-009. It actually has the best everything I've heard from a headphone really, except imaging where the HD 800 must have been the best (never properly compared them side by side). I haven't listened to the SR-009S yet however.

Aug 11, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #10 of 22
Highly doubt it lol. I've heard tons of headphones in pretty much every price range and let me tell you, once you get to flagship territory, they tend to beat everything in much lower price ranges in every single way, by huge margins. Especially top tier Stax setups; obviously they cost WAY more, but they are just untouchable compared to all non-electrostats in every way except imaging (HD 800/HD 800 S) and sound stage where electrostats don't have an inherent advantage (nor disadvantage).

So the best vocals and mids I have ever heard in a headphone are from the Stax SR-009. It actually has the best everything I've heard from a headphone really, except imaging where the HD 800 must have been the best (never properly compared them side by side). I haven't listened to the SR-009S yet however.
stax only has three tiers right?
entry tier: l300/500
mid tier:l700 and 007
top tier: 009

Aug 11, 2018 at 10:41 PM Post #11 of 22
stax only has three tiers right?
entry tier: l300/500
mid tier:l700 and 007
top tier: 009

SR-007 ain't no mid tier. A lot of people prefer it to the SR-009; I don't, but I prefer it to every non-electrostat by far. Way more transparent than any non-electrostat, and it is one of the best value high end headphones at just over $2k new and not much more than $1,100 used.

There's now the SR-009S, their new flagship, but there are no detailed comparisons written versus the SR-009 yet. So I'd keep the tiers mostly as you list them, but group the SR-007 and SR-009S with the SR-009.

Aug 11, 2018 at 11:01 PM Post #13 of 22
SR-007 ain't no mid tier. A lot of people prefer it to the SR-009; I don't, but I prefer it to every non-electrostat by far. Way more transparent than any non-electrostat, and it is one of the best value high end headphones at just over $2k new and not much more than $1,100 used.

There's now the SR-009S, their new flagship, but there are no detailed comparisons written versus the SR-009 yet. So I'd keep the tiers mostly as you list them, but group the SR-007 and SR-009S with the SR-009.
Okay thanks a lot. It is just impossible here in new york to demo stax.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back