Is the iPod the only thing that can use the Ratings (****) from iTunes?
Apr 14, 2004 at 6:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

LanMan_themovie

Head-Fier
My brother's looking into this, and he organized his entire 18 gig library in iTunes with ***'s from the rating system and stuff. He was looking into getting an MP3 player, and wondering if there's anything other than iPod that uses that -- like the iRiver or something?

Apr 14, 2004 at 7:29 PM Post #2 of 7
iPod is proberbly the only player which support iTunes rating... or atleast I don't know of any other program which use iTunes to transfer. But it's no problem. Other programs, like J.River Media Center 10 (yabb.jriver.com/interact/) supports iTunes rating and a lot of portable players. Els, make some playlist, fx all track with 1 star in one playlist, all the tracks with 2 stars in another... you get the picture. Then import into the players program an rate all the tracks in the 1 star playlist with one star etc etc.

Hope it helps,
Rasmus

Apr 14, 2004 at 8:47 PM Post #3 of 7
The Rio Karma utilizes the same rating system, which is enabled by using the packaged software I believe. And with J.RIvers Media Center 10, playlists can be made in a similar fashion. Not to mention the up and comming Red Chair software for the IHP which will compliment Irivers newest firmware updates comming in the next 1-2 months (officially stated) that will introduce OTF playlists and gapless playback amongst other things.

It certainly looks like the playing field is becomming a lot more leveled.

Apr 15, 2004 at 12:28 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by Sweet Spot
The Rio Karma utilizes the same rating system, which is enabled by using the packaged software I believe. And with J.RIvers Media Center 10, playlists can be made in a similar fashion. Not to mention the up and comming Red Chair software for the IHP which will compliment Irivers newest firmware updates comming in the next 1-2 months (officially stated) that will introduce OTF playlists and gapless playback amongst other things.

It certainly looks like the playing field is becomming a lot more leveled.

where was that officially stated. i heard that it was a possibility, but not yet official? any links?

Apr 15, 2004 at 12:45 AM Post #5 of 7
If you're talking about the IHP official firmware, the announcement was made a bit before the beginning of last week !
smily_headphones1.gif

Not to mention that it's been talked about here (head-fi) as well:
The actual post was done BY the Iriver team. (hence the blue font)

Official Word

Apr 15, 2004 at 9:34 AM Post #6 of 7
For starters you can't rate songs on the iRiver and playcounts are not synced. Despite the forthcoming jRiver MC10 and the announced upgrades to the iHP firmware, there's still nowhere enough flexibility to the iHP/jRiver combination to overtake the iPod/iTunes combination if you're an avid user of the iTunes rating / smartlisting features.

I can't comment on the Karma... yet.

Apr 15, 2004 at 3:27 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by Sweet Spot
If you're talking about the IHP official firmware, the announcement was made a bit before the beginning of last week !
smily_headphones1.gif

Not to mention that it's been talked about here (head-fi) as well:
The actual post was done BY the Iriver team. (hence the blue font)

Official Word

i actually meant the Red Chair software. sorry.

edit: I actually just saw this sneak preview they recently added to the Red Chair site.

http://www.redchairsoftware.com/irivium/

Some VERY cool features. (if you've used their software, you're probably familiar with them). I took the liberty of bolding the points that i particularly like.

-Windows Explorer Integration
-Full-Fledged Library Management
-Automatic "DB Scan" Mode Support
-Automatic File Structure Management
-Full Format Support
-SQL Engine
-Song Ratings
-Sophisticated Playlist Management
-PDA Functionality
-Irivium Xtreame
-SpeedSync
-AudioMorph

i dont really ever use Song Ratings, but its the thread topic so i bolded that too
biggrin.gif

check the link for descriptions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back