is the ipod the only GOOD alarm clock solution ?
Nov 5, 2007 at 4:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Aevum

Headphoneus Supremus
i´ve been looking around to change my cheap sanyo alarm clock with something which will give me less of a rude awakning, something with DAP support but that isnt cheap and tacky,

and in the quality audio dept, all i can find is ipod docks with built in alarm clocks, and i really really hate the ipod, i dont want this thread to become a ipod flamer VS Ipod fanboy thread, if it does, i swear i will change thread name to something along the lines of "guide to prostitution in the north pole"

i just want to know if theres any DAP that can do alarmclock but on a normal scale, as in more or less book sized and with speakers, i dont want anyone going "but you can set an alarm clock on this dap and just plug it in to a set of speakers" i want a real "smack on the snooze botton" alarm clock

and no zune, thats the only player i hate more then the ipod, its not sold in europe, and i will NOT use the zune software to sync,

Nov 5, 2007 at 4:39 AM Post #2 of 20
hmm

i quite like the ipod alarm, spesh new ipods as u can have many alarms and set them for weekdays certein days etc. i hav my ipod docked on my desk to my speakers with my remote at my bedside so yeah. downside to ipod being docked is in the current firmware it has an issue in that it randomly sleeps - it has like Narcolepsy.

u cud always find one of those 3rd party docks that do it?

Nov 5, 2007 at 9:29 PM Post #3 of 20
I've used my ancient bedside clock radio, my watch, a Palm PDA, an mp3 player, and my cell phone.

I still use the bedside radio so I can wake up to the news. However, of all of these, I prefer my cell phone when I HAVE to get up. It sets itself to local time when I travel (fixing THAT little problem), I can choose multiple alarm times, different mp3 files to wake up to (progressively louder/harsher), it still goes off even when the electricity is dead, and it's loud enough to wake someone from a coma. My current phone is a Motorola Razr, but I think many of them have the alarm function.

So choose your DAP based on SQ or file format or some other criteria, and if the alarm works at all, celebrate it as a happy coincidence.

Nov 5, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #4 of 20
I love my old sony radio. I basically scare myself out of bed, I set it to static and max volume.

Nov 5, 2007 at 10:34 PM Post #5 of 20
I am going to tell you man.... I have a DEEP sleep.... and this thing always wakes me up.... you can set multiple alarms, with various options (mon-fri, weekends, one time, all days, etc), has superb audio quality, radio and the built in speaker is very nice to add music to a single room.

Oh, and did I say stylish?? :wink:

Nov 5, 2007 at 11:00 PM Post #6 of 20
Checkout the JVC Executive radio. I've been using my for 11 years now, and waking up to CD's instead of commercials changed my life
cool.gif

Mine cost 3 and small change:

http://av.jvc.com/product.jsp?pathId...tId=PRD2200000

20611.JPG

Nov 6, 2007 at 4:42 AM Post #8 of 20
Nokia 6300 wakes me up every morning with good music, maybe not the best SQ, but hey, its alarm clock..
biggrin.gif

Nov 6, 2007 at 8:57 PM Post #10 of 20
Krazr cell phone. Loud and annoying ring tone, and in a case so by the time I find it (not always in the same place like my alarm clock) open it and turn it off I am pretty much awake.

Nov 6, 2007 at 11:32 PM Post #11 of 20
iriver U10/clix with cradle (and remote), this really looks the part, it has a snooze button on top and built in speakers for the alarm. Since the clix2 is out this can be yours for under £100 (£94.98/~135EURO, delivered, from advancedmp3players.com who are based in Scotland)

Nov 7, 2007 at 2:29 AM Post #13 of 20
chaintech AV710=> foobar 0.8.3 using foo_scheduler =>corda move => sennheiser HD580 works wonders for me in waking me up. yes, i sleep with my headphones on and their both comfortable and damn effective
580smile.gif

not to mention the alarm wont disturb anyone

dont think its quite the solution your looking for though...

Nov 7, 2007 at 2:49 AM Post #14 of 20
If I slept (throughout the whole night) with my Senns on, my wife would wake up with "grill" marks on her face every morning.
redface.gif

The JVC Executive Stereo ramps the volume up gently too.
The only problem is that I start to hate every CD that I wake up to because it relates to the feeling of having to come out of my comfy cocoon and "stand before my peers"
plainface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back