Is the Hifiman HE-6 clearly a league above the Hifiman HE-500?
Sep 23, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #136 of 433
I have the he-6's & the MJ...both new,maybe I have about 90-100 hours on both?
When I first started using them,sound quality was alittle veiled,volume was at or around 2-3 o'clock,on some of my music
Now ,that I have a few more hours of burn-in...things are really started to open up..sq on the he-6's is excellent..bass strong{but not as strong as lcd2's },mids seem clearer,& treble is perfect.
I am not an audio expert.....but things have changed..SQ has improved,after 3/4 days.

ON that note...I just got delivery of this amp:
http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/x-series/products/a100  -just so I can do a A-B comparison between this amp & the MJ.
Unfortunately,I do not have my bananna plugs yet...Tuesday,they will come...THANK YOU ELWAPPO!!
After,I get things set up,I will give you guys some impressions,..{for whats its worth?}..on the 2 amps & He-6's.

Please Note:
Yesterday,I was pm'ing Elwappo {Erik },he didn't know,I did not have any bananna plugs.....he asked me,if I would like him to throw together a pair ,to connect to my existing XLR 4-pin cable.
I thought ,he was joking?.
I was wrong......-dead serious.
He stopped what he was doing..built me the adapter I needed,rushed down to the PO,& sent them out,at 4:01pm,just as the PO was closing..express mail.
I might have them tomorrow,or definetly by Tuesday
Also,in all our pm'ing did he ever ask,or talk about payment of any kind...finally he said" just throw $7.00 in my paypal account.
Elwappo,has got to be one of the finest Head-fier this forum has,and there are many...He definetly tops the list
ERIK,YOU ARE THE BEST!!!..UNBELIEVABLE!!
Great to know,that there are still people in this world ,that do this kind of thing..

Mike

Sep 23, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #137 of 433
Quote:
When I first started using them,sound quality was alittle veiled,volume was at or around 2-3 o'clock,on some of my music
Now ,that I have a few more hours of burn-in...things are really started to open up..sq on the he-6's is excellent..bass strong{but not as strong as lcd2's },mids seem clearer,& treble is perfect.
I am not an audio expert.....but things have changed..SQ has improved,after 3/4 days.

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/x-series/products/a100  -just so I can do a A-B comparison between this amp & the MJ.
Unfortunately,I do not have my bananna plugs yet...Tuesday,they will come...THANK YOU ELWAPPO!!
After,I get things set up,I will give you guys some impressions,..{for whats its worth?}..on the 2 amps & He-6's.

Interesting to hear about burn in for the Mjolnir! If you'd like you can post in the dedicated Mjolnir thread or the HE-6 thread where we babble on about speaker amps and all things schiit 
wink.gif
. I'd love to see your thoughts on the emotiva in the HE-6 thread when those taps show up. 

Sep 23, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #139 of 433
Quote:
How about this amp for the HE-6?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/YAQIN-2100-Vacuum-Tube-Hi-end-Tube-Power-Amplifier-amp-/310403538313?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item48457e1d89

I am getting the HE-6 and will be buying the above amp. My calculations show it should be alright but real-world results might be different.

Hi Gikigill,
This looks like a beautiful amp....
Please let us know,how it sounds...

Best of luck with it,
Mike

Sep 24, 2012 at 6:51 AM Post #140 of 433
I will be doing a comparo with 5 different amps once I get the headphones.

The amps are Onkyo 606, Sony QS-DB790, Sherwood AD-2220 CP (Class AB Stereo), the above mentioned Valve amp and another valve amp pushing around 7W@50ohms.

It might take me a couple of months as I dont have the phones but have 4 out of the 5 amps.

Sep 24, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #141 of 433
Quote:

Please Note:
Yesterday,I was pm'ing Elwappo {Erik },he didn't know,I did not have any bananna plugs.....he asked me,if I would like him to throw together a pair ,to connect to my existing XLR 4-pin cable.
I thought ,he was joking?.
I was wrong......-dead serious.
He stopped what he was doing..built me the adapter I needed,rushed down to the PO,& sent them out,at 4:01pm,just as the PO was closing..express mail.
I might have them tomorrow,or definetly by Tuesday
Also,in all our pm'ing did he ever ask,or talk about payment of any kind...finally he said" just throw $7.00 in my paypal account.
Elwappo,has got to be one of the finest Head-fier this forum has,and there are many...He definetly tops the list
ERIK,YOU ARE THE BEST!!!..UNBELIEVABLE!!
Great to know,that there are still people in this world ,that do this kind of thing..

Mike

Quote:

Interesting to hear about burn in for the Mjolnir! If you'd like you can post in the dedicated Mjolnir thread or the HE-6 thread where we babble on about speaker amps and all things schiit 
wink.gif
. I'd love to see your thoughts on the emotiva in the HE-6 thread when those taps show up. 

+1, Mike's posts in Lyr tube rolling have been interesting for a while, so I'm very interested in his impressions of HE-6 on both amps as well!

Sep 24, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #142 of 433
Thats great...looks like you will have your work cut out for you.

May I ask,have you looked in the buy/sell forum,or at least,posted an ad in the "want to buy"  section ,,of that forum?
I got both my Lcd's & He-6's ,in that forum..saved a bundle on both purchases...and both sellers,answered literally dozens, of question ,before we finalized the deal.
Just my .02 cents.

Sep 24, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #143 of 433
Hi IEM,

"1, Mike's posts in Lyr tube rolling have been interesting for a while,"

Yes,I'll miss all 35 pairs of tubes,luckily,I sold them all.
So now,looks like my tube rolling days are over.
I love the MJ..

Sep 24, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #144 of 433
Quote:
How about this amp for the HE-6?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/YAQIN-2100-Vacuum-Tube-Hi-end-Tube-Power-Amplifier-amp-/310403538313?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item48457e1d89

I am getting the HE-6 and will be buying the above amp. My calculations show it should be alright but real-world results might be different.

Looking at the specs, a Toshiba 2SA1943 is a transistor not a vacuum tube.
I don't believe that this is an all tube amp, it uses the small Russian tube 6N1 as a driver. Its probably a hybrid.
By the way, you cannot roll the 6N1 tube, there is no equivalent western tube for it.

Sep 24, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #145 of 433
Hi Wuwhere,

Is there an amp,that you ,would recommend in it's place-same price range
possibly,one of the Emotivas???

Sep 24, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #146 of 433
Quote:
Hi Wuwhere,

Is there an amp,that you ,would recommend in it's place-same price range
possibly,one of the Emotivas???

Hi mike,

Sorry I don't have any experience with Emotivas. elwappo I believe has one. Some here are happy using vintage receivers. The problem with them is they may need some servicing so you wind up spending a lot more than you originally budgeted for. Another inexpensive alternative are t-amps like the Trends. But I'm not a fan of T-amp based amps.

So what am I using for my HE-6? Pure tube speaker amps, one is an Audio Research D70 with 4 GE6550A output tubes (2/channel) rated at 60wpc. Another is a Copland CTA 504 pure tube speaker amp with 4 EH KT88 output tubes (2/channel) rated at about 60wpc.

Sep 24, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #147 of 433
Quote:

Hi mike,

Sorry I don't have any experience with Emotivas. elwappo I believe has one. Some here are happy using vintage receivers. The problem with them is they may need some servicing so you wind up spending a lot more than you originally budgeted for. Another inexpensive alternative are t-amps like the Trends. But I'm not a fan of T-amp based amps.

So what am I using for my HE-6? Pure tube speaker amps, one is an Audio Research D70 with 4 GE6550A output tubes (2/channel) rated at 60wpc. Another is a Copland CTA 504 pure tube speaker amp with 4 EH KT88 output tubes (2/channel) rated at about 60wpc.

One of the biggest "problems" (if you can call it that) with HE-6 is that unlike the FOTM rolling for most headphone gear around here, it seems impossible to find two people who have owned the same amp for HE-6, and rarer still to find someone who has compared and can give definitive comparison as to WHY one should upgrade from one to another, etc.

I'm using a modest Marantz PM6004...a rather pedestrian but highly rated A/B 45wpc mass-market integrated.  And it sounds darned good.  Would the 80lb 200wpc Emotiva XPA-2 sound better?  The reflex reaction round the HE-6 thread would be "yes"...and I believe it...but the unknown is: "in what way?  What does it provide differently?" And that's where things get confusing in HE-6 land is a lack of direct comparison experiences
biggrin.gif
  All I know is that mine sounds darned good, but Elysian's $15k+ rig sounds better than almost anything....finding out the difference between point a and point b would involve auditioning various gear...something my wallet will not forgive me for at the moment
frown.gif
  So I'm choosing to stay blissfully ignorant about "what I'm missing"....for a while
wink.gif

Sep 24, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #148 of 433
Quote:
One of the biggest "problems" (if you can call it that) with HE-6 is that unlike the FOTM rolling for most headphone gear around here, it seems impossible to find two people who have owned the same amp for HE-6, and rarer still to find someone who has compared and can give definitive comparison as to WHY one should upgrade from one to another, etc.

I'm using a modest Marantz PM6004...a rather pedestrian but highly rated A/B 45wpc mass-market integrated.  And it sounds darned good.  Would the 80lb 200wpc Emotiva XPA-2 sound better?  The reflex reaction round the HE-6 thread would be "yes"...and I believe it...but the unknown is: "in what way?  What does it provide differently?" And that's where things get confusing in HE-6 land is a lack of direct comparison experiences
biggrin.gif
  All I know is that mine sounds darned good, but Elysian's $15k+ rig sounds better than almost anything....finding out the difference between point a and point b would involve auditioning various gear...something my wallet will not forgive me for at the moment
frown.gif
  So I'm choosing to stay blissfully ignorant about "what I'm missing"....for a while
wink.gif

+1, specially once you enter the realm of speaker amps, there are so many pitfalls. I try to stay away from the newer Chinese made speaker amps. Call me bias but I just don't feel comfortable not knowing their reliability and quality. My two amps are over engineered. My Audio Research blew one GE6550 but it did not destroy my HE-6.

Sep 24, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #149 of 433
Quote:

+1, specially once you enter the realm of speaker amps, there are so many pitfalls. I try to stay away from the newer Chinese made speaker amps. Call me bias but I just don't feel comfortable not knowing their reliability and quality. My two amps are over engineered. My Audio Research blew one GE6550 but it did not destroy my HE-6.

I agree, though there's some irony avoiding Chinese made amps to pair with a Chinese made headphone
tongue_smile.gif

I know what you mean though.  My little Marantz may not be boutique-chic for the audiophile world, but the thing's made in Japan and at a mere 16lbs, still manages to feel like it means business!  I'd feel a little squeemish about something that puts out more than 4x the power, is supposedly "better", weighs 5x as much, yet manages to be $100 more in price.  Some of those Chinese amps are a little scary they way they're built. 

I love tubes...signal tubes...but I don't think I'd go the tube route for HE-6.  I've never been fond of tube speaker amps, and those big power tubes scare me enough with speakers let alone what they could do with HE-6's on your ears!  I've always stuck with SS for speakers, tubes for headphones....and I'm veering more to my speaker philosophy for HE-6 since I've always chosen to never mess with tube speaker amps.

I've seen some good deals on used gear out there, but without a chance to demo there's no way to know if it's just a  more boutique version of what I have or if there's some serious performance improvement out there.  For that reason whenever I do upgrade I may still go with something more mass market but higher end again rather than boutique, mostly so my dealer can direct me to what is genuinely better performance, without having to go through the pain of auditioning every random thing under the sun that are more appealing due to the name of the designer than the output at the terminals
biggrin.gif

Sep 24, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #150 of 433
Yes, I've read about these big tubes getting fried. I set the bias lower than the manufacturer's recommended setting. And they generate a lot of heat. I remove their covers. And the tubes are darn expensive, specially the NOS GE or Tung Sol 6550s/KT88s (just check their prices on flea bay). But oh they sound good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back