Is the HD800 overpriced?
Jun 25, 2010 at 6:06 AM Post #301 of 685


Quote:
If you can't afford the HD800, take a look at the HD600.  If the HF2 is a "baby PS1000," the HD600 is a "baby HD800."


I agree.  The HD600's general tonality is remarkably similar.  The difference lies mainly with the soundstage and imaging and to a lesser, though significant extent, clarity.
 
Jun 25, 2010 at 6:20 AM Post #302 of 685


Quote:
what do you mean, where does it stand when compared to HD650 and HD800


The midrange tonality is remarkably similar as well - I guess all Senheissers have that similar midrange - all my senns do, PX100, HD595, HD650.
 
As aimlink suggested what you are paying for is the marked improvement in clarity and driver agility.  It appears that the reason 1000 plus cans cost as they do is the engineering needed to improve driver agility.
 
Jun 25, 2010 at 7:19 AM Post #304 of 685
Square wave measurements.  More realistic transients - more precision in sound reproduction - The ability of the magnets to physically overcome diaphragm inertia.
 
Jun 25, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #305 of 685


Quote:
Ya, I did afford them, but I don't get to live in the Santa Cruz Mountains like you, and I have looked into it over the years.  Very nice.
wink.gif

 
Edit-and yes they are worth it.-see below......
 
current set up-Macbook Pro with Amarra Mini->PSaudio Digital Link highly modified->Eddie Current Zana Duex OLT->HD800 with full size DHC Complement Recable.

 
well if you and your equipment need a place to stay I can rent you a room.  The neighbors are old but very quiet.  Actually, they are 200 year old redwoods.
bigsmile_face.gif

 
 
Jun 25, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #306 of 685

Quote:
Square wave measurements.  More realistic transients - more precision in sound reproduction - The ability of the magnets to physically overcome diaphragm inertia.


I've bought quite a lot of cans and I do find myself eating my words on this, but IMO, the HD800's are worth it.  They're special.  They really bring more to the table, in refined and immaculate fashion.  That refined and immaculate sound, interestingly comes across as soul-less or sterile for some.  However, IMO, I see that sort of POV as someone coming home one day to see their home cleaned up and renovated with too much of what they grew accustomed to, including the disorganisation they lived with for so long, now gone. 
evil_smiley.gif

 
I love the clean-up.  Truly wonderful to my ears.  It's no loss of soul for me, but the soul more clearly revealed in its fullness, with much less of the intervening mist or noise and artificial intimacy that headphones can offer.  
wink_face.gif

 
Jun 25, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #307 of 685
Also one cannot emphasis the need for synergy.  The HD800 still have that beautifully crafted midrange - Some (not me!
wink.gif
) may criticise the treble, but if one can synergise the treble one is left with the most meticulously rendered midrange.  With "airy" bass to boot!
 
Jul 23, 2010 at 3:46 PM Post #308 of 685
Wow, I think I just read about every post here... now I'm gonna go drink until I pass out. Lol
 

 
Jul 23, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #309 of 685
 
what do you mean, where does it stand when compared to HD650 and HD800


A picture may be worth a thousand words.
 

 
The 800 is a better headphone - with better bass and a smaller HF spike that's higher up, as well as better HF extension at the extremes.  Still, from about 100 Hz to 1 kHz, there's nothing that the 800 isn't doing that the 600 couldn't do if you simply turned up the volume a little.  From about 1 kHz to about 7 kHz, you see the most differences, with the 600 staying closer to flat while the 800 recesses the mids a bit.  The 800 has the better treble spike, inasmuch as it's narrower and higher up in the spectrum.
 
Don't get me wrong.  I'm not saying somebody's 600 will stand shoulder to shoulder with an 800.  I'm just saying that the 600 bears enough similarity that it may well be the poor man's 800.
 
Jul 23, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #310 of 685


Quote:
Also one cannot emphasis the need for synergy.  The HD800 still have that beautifully crafted midrange - Some (not me!
wink.gif
) may criticise the treble, but if one can synergise the treble one is left with the most meticulously rendered midrange.  With "airy" bass to boot!


When you amp them right, the bass on the HD800 is superb.  It digs very, very deep and is extremely controlled and articulate.  It not only pops; you can make out bass riffs extremely well on the 800.
 
Jul 24, 2010 at 1:30 AM Post #311 of 685


Quote:
what do you mean, where does it stand when compared to HD650 and HD800


I have both and recabled with good wire. The HD800 is a lot better across the board IMO, and this is coming from someone who loves his HD650.
 
Dec 4, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #312 of 685
 
everything is overprice in our world,and normally the poorest the country you live in,the higher the cost of life,im my example there is no market for headphones,at all,i saw a pair of m-80 charged at 600 dollars,can you believe it??i`ve to sweat at work and to find a affordable headphone here.
not just headphones ,above all food.there are thousand of children dying every 24 hours,and i see in the restaurant where i work there are kilos and kilos of food throwed away every night,i know all people talk about this (the most are christians for godless sake),but still sad.
this is capitalism,i agree with Currawong that research and development is expensive for the technological progress,but THE POINT is that maybe the question of this thread is how much the hd800 and any other headphone should cost if we take less the benefits!!!then yes ,everybody will be shocked for real ,probably the headphone market will crash!do you thing the real cost to made an HD800 is more than 400 dollars?thing about it.
but the married waitress with the most beautifull smile and the hd800 still my greatest consumer dreams!!!
 
 
Dec 5, 2011 at 5:52 AM Post #313 of 685
Yes, I think the hps on this list are overpriced...
 
1. Grado GS1000.
2. Sennheiser HD-800.
3. Beyerdynamic T1.
4. Audez'e LDC 2/3.
5. Most of the Stax models are overpriced. Maybe the price is a direct result of the Japanese market, but this still is not a good excused.
 
 
In the near future those companies will bring a newer models that will be even more overpriced ...and the LDC 3 is the first example of what we going to get.
wink.gif

 
Dec 5, 2011 at 6:04 AM Post #315 of 685
Tyll does a lot of great work with his graphs. 
 
Compared to the HD650, there is also a much quicker 300hz response with more accuracy and less THD+noise. It's undeniably a better headphone for reasons beyond just frequency response, but I'm not sure if I would pay the premium for it. 
Quote:
 

A picture may be worth a thousand words.
 

 
The 800 is a better headphone - with better bass and a smaller HF spike that's higher up, as well as better HF extension at the extremes.  Still, from about 100 Hz to 1 kHz, there's nothing that the 800 isn't doing that the 600 couldn't do if you simply turned up the volume a little.  From about 1 kHz to about 7 kHz, you see the most differences, with the 600 staying closer to flat while the 800 recesses the mids a bit.  The 800 has the better treble spike, inasmuch as it's narrower and higher up in the spectrum.
 
Don't get me wrong.  I'm not saying somebody's 600 will stand shoulder to shoulder with an 800.  I'm just saying that the 600 bears enough similarity that it may well be the poor man's 800.



 
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top