Is the HD800 a huge improvement over the K701/K702?
Jun 4, 2009 at 5:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 110

bhanja_trinanjan

500+ Head-Fier
Hello!
As a happy K701 owner, I am eager to know how much of an improvement the HD800 offers over it.

True, the HD800 is pricier… however price is not the only thing that matters.

How do these cans stack up to each other on a system, which drives either adequately?

Opinions invited!

And I want a HD800 smiley, if I can’t afford a pair!
tongue_smile.gif

We have this…
k701smile.gif
Let’s have a HD800 smiley.
smile.gif

I would love a ‘markl’ HD800 review; I absolutely loved the ‘markl’ K701 review… Markl, where are you?

Jun 4, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #3 of 110
IMO, yes. I may not be the most neutral source for such a question (I hated the K701's when I owned them), but the HD800 is more transparent, has better soundstaging, better bass, and is not sibilant like the K701. More importantly, it is fun to listen to, whereas I have always found the K701 to be boring and lifeless, no matter the equipment used.

Jun 4, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #5 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhanja_trinanjan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello!
As a happy K701 owner, I am eager to know how much of an improvement the HD800 offers over it.

True, the HD800 is pricier… however price is not the only thing that matters.

How do these cans stack up to each other on a system, which drives either adequately?

Opinions invited!

And I want a HD800 smiley, if I can’t afford a pair!
tongue_smile.gif

We have this…
k701smile.gif
Let’s have a HD800 smiley.
smile.gif

I would love a ‘markl’ HD800 review; I absolutely loved the ‘markl’ K701 review… Markl, where are you?

If you can,go audition it and then decide for yourself if you like it or not.I plan to do it when the 800's come to greece!

Jun 4, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #6 of 110
Umm..even my 74$ Fostex T50RP is clearly better than the AKG K701..And yes the HD800 is a huge improvement over the AKG K701..the soundstage is the only place that the AKG 701 keeps up with the HD800

Jun 4, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #7 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by john53 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you can,go audition it and then decide for yourself if you like it or not.I plan to do it when the 800's come to greece!

Hope that Sennheiser India imports these!

I wonder if the HD800 will find buyers in India...

Most likely market scenario here:

No money (AND OR) Lack of knowledge and appreciation for high end headphones
tongue.gif

People stare at me in o_O when I tell them that I spent so much on a Ultra Micro-K701 combo!

Jun 4, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #8 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Umm..even my 74$ Fostex T50RP is clearly better than the AKG K701..And yes the HD800 is a huge improvement over the AKG K701..the soundstage is the only place that the AKG 701 keeps up with the HD800

Is your Fostex also better than HD650/DT880?

Jun 4, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #9 of 110
Quote:

He did post his initial impressions but had to remove his post due to having broken the rules concerning MoT. Go figure :)

Jun 4, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #10 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by Denaturat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He did post his initial impressions but had to remove his post due to having broken the rules concerning MoT. Go figure :)

Could you elaborate a little?
confused.gif

Jun 4, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #11 of 110
Members of the Trade aren't allowed to post negative comments about other companies' equipment, however it would have been nice if those comments had been shifted over to his website - I would also have liked to have read them.

Jun 4, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #14 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Members of the Trade aren't allowed to post negative comments about other companies' equipment, however it would have been nice if those comments had been shifted over to his website - I would also have liked to have read them.

Check out www.SteveHoffman.tv

Jun 4, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #15 of 110
Quote:

You can find it on his website, and it's absolutely pure comedic gold. Anyone that has heard them for themselves will immediately be able to see his hidden agenda after reading his "#1" point.

Honestly, if he is really claiming to hear what he is hearing he either A) has a defective pair or B) has hearing far worse than I ever could of imagined. I would never even consider purchasing one of his products now that I know his hearing and mine are literally polar opposites.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back