Is The 'Gilmore Lite' THE Amp Of Choice?
Jul 9, 2005 at 1:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Peppermint Duck

100+ Head-Fier
I notice people also recommend (and use) Meier Audio for amps...but the only comparable amp to the Gilmore they seem to offer is the CORDA HA-1 MkII which costs 50% more. I take it this is a better amp? Can someone explain to me what a crossfeed filter does too? Also it doesn't appear to have a standard headphone input socket, would I need some form of convertor cable to connect my headphones?

Living in the U.K. I'd no doubt be charged with import taxes (as I have been before) if I import the Gilmore - and I'd need a $20 voltage convertor, so I'd be looking at around $400 for the Gilmore anyway, as compared to $460 for the CORDA HA-1 MkII.

Jul 9, 2005 at 4:59 PM Post #2 of 3
Hi

I feel for you, I live in the Northern Ireland and it is a nightmare to get anything, however a uk based company stone audio stock the sugden headmaster, Graham Slee solo and the earmax pro at reasonable prices and free delivery to the mainland, check them out.

Jul 9, 2005 at 6:36 PM Post #3 of 3
Crossfeed dumps some of the left channel into the right channel. In an ideal world, it'd be useless. There are some really irritatingly recorded songs, however, where they put some intstruments just on one channel to try to accomodate crappy separation with speakers. Recordings like that give me a headache, and I've found that I can't live without crossfeed on certain songs. You don't have to go through Jan to get crossfeed, though I think his is the best one that I've heard.

All of the Meier amps have "standard" 1/4" jacks (7 mm? I dunno what you folks call them...). The only thing odd about them, is that you can also plug in those funny looking balanced jacks as well (I can't recall what those are called either). Rest assured, you won't have to buy anything extra to use the amp (well... you'll need a power cord, but you know what I mean).

As for the Gilmore Lite, doesn't it take in DC? I'd have thought that you could just pick up the appropriate (voltage, jack size/type, polarity) wall wart and just use that. You're probably best off just contacting Justin and asking about what you need and how much it will cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back