Is the Custom fit IEM suppose to be comfortable from day one?
Sep 5, 2009 at 6:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

MadDog

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 16, 2003
Posts
522
Likes
10
I just got my JH13 today and I am not feeling too comfortable as my ears' feeling so stuffed. I ran with this thing on and I could feel it was hurting my ear tunnel.

I had the sensaphonic 2x-s custom before but don't remember it was hurting my ears at first maybe because the whole ear piece was made out of soft silicon. This is my first hard acrylic ear piece so I am not sure what to expect. Do I need some adjustment period or if I feel too tight, did JH Audio made it too big?

Anyone give me some advice?
 
Sep 5, 2009 at 7:00 AM Post #3 of 14

Elluzion

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Nov 29, 2007
Posts
1,510
Likes
17
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadDog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got my JH13 today and I am not feeling too comfortable as my ears' feeling so stuffed. I ran with this thing on and I could feel it was hurting my ear tunnel.

I had the sensaphonic 2x-s custom before but don't remember it was hurting my ears at first maybe because the whole ear piece was made out of soft silicon. This is my first hard acrylic ear piece so I am not sure what to expect. Do I need some adjustment period or if I feel too tight, did JH Audio made it too big?

Anyone give me some advice?



When i first put in customs i felt 'stuffed' aswell, don't know what to do about it.... feels like too much is being blocked off or as if they are too far in..
 
Sep 5, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #5 of 14

thread

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 30, 2007
Posts
1,628
Likes
53
Even after using the UE11 for a year and a half ish, my JH13 were not super comfortable from day one. It took my ears a bit of adjusting again. After a few days to a week, it should be no problem.
 
Sep 5, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #6 of 14

MindfluX

New Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 5, 2009
Posts
25
Likes
0
Two days ago I received my first custom molds. They are hard acrylic I guess.

Yesterday morning I was cleaning my ear like I do almost everyday when I get out of the shower. For the first time in my life there was blood at the end of the cotton swab. After five hours I did try it again and there was blood again on the swab.

I called my doctor what to do, and he said not use a swab for a while and that it will be better in a few weeks.

I still hear okay, but Im not feeling relaxed as this happened. As I was trying out the new custom molds, one song was very loud suddenly (damn mp3's) so maybe I did hurt my eardrum.
 
Sep 5, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #7 of 14

dnullify

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 24, 2008
Posts
1,136
Likes
55
i'd stay away from music AND q-tips. let the wax develop, its your ear's natural defense.

people who swim often (me) or use custom earplugs/iems are more likely to develop dry skin on the inside of your ears.
I think the bleeding is such. If your eardrum was perforated, i think you'd see worse than a little blood. I'd head to the doc's at some point anyway.


I use custom ear plugs for drumming. they are a hard silicone, and even then were a little difficult to wear for long periods of times at first.
 
Sep 6, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #9 of 14

wsilvio

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 9, 2006
Posts
715
Likes
21
I think you should think about a re-fit. You already know how the fit should be since you had the 2x-s'. I'm in the same boat. on my jh-13's my left monitor is perfect and the right isn't even close. For the money they should be perfect. I had to go through this with my 2x-s' as well. The left was cool and the right hurt my ears. Part of the journey I guess. Spend the time to get it right. It's frustrating but in the end you'll have a good fit for a long time.
 
Sep 6, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #10 of 14

barleyguy

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 28, 2009
Posts
1,299
Likes
31
Quote:

Originally Posted by MindfluX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Two days ago I received my first custom molds. They are hard acrylic I guess.

Yesterday morning I was cleaning my ear like I do almost everyday when I get out of the shower. For the first time in my life there was blood at the end of the cotton swab. After five hours I did try it again and there was blood again on the swab.

I called my doctor what to do, and he said not use a swab for a while and that it will be better in a few weeks.

I still hear okay, but Im not feeling relaxed as this happened. As I was trying out the new custom molds, one song was very loud suddenly (damn mp3's) so maybe I did hurt my eardrum.



I would call JHAudio or your audiologist. Your customs might be too long.

Also, cotton swabs are not for ears. Seriously. Ear wax is a natural lubricant and a defense against bacteria.
 
Sep 6, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #11 of 14

blargman

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 13, 2006
Posts
430
Likes
25
Quote:

Originally Posted by zardos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got my JH13 last week and they didn't fit well. I had to shorten the stems on both sides with a file. Now it's much better.


A file?!?
 
Sep 6, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #12 of 14

mistertomlinson

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Posts
366
Likes
12
Quote:

Originally Posted by barleyguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would call JHAudio or your audiologist. Your customs might be too long.

Also, cotton swabs are not for ears. Seriously. Ear wax is a natural lubricant and a defense against bacteria.



I've heard this too, but when I went to the audiologist for ear impressions, she sent me down the hall to the ear, nose and throat doctor because she said my ears needed cleaning. Apparently, I had too much wax. He said there was a "wall" of wax right over my ear drum (I believe it has something to do with me sleeping with ear plugs in for the passed 2-3 years). He also said if you clean your ears, you should do it every day or every other day at least. I'm guessing waiting longer between cleanings allows more to build up to a point where you're only pushing the wax into you ear drum, rather than actually cleaning it out. I believe the q-tip is for cleaning the canal... wax is still able to do it's job further into the ear.
 
Sep 6, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #13 of 14

qusp

Member of the Trade: Twisted Cables
Joined
Jun 18, 2008
Posts
7,743
Likes
61
q-tips every day is likely part of your problem my friend. my audiologist told me never to use them. if you wish to clean your ears; just let hot water from your shower do the trick and if you still wish to clean it more, get some of the ear cleaning liquid from your doctor.

I guess I was lucky, my JH13 felt comfy from day one. I was used to using custom tips on my universals, but it still took a couple of days for them to be able to do the disappearing trick. the 2Xs were a different thing, considering the material, I would give it a couple of days and if you still have a problem, contact JH then.
 
Sep 6, 2009 at 6:02 AM Post #14 of 14

MadDog

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 16, 2003
Posts
522
Likes
10
Like wsilvio my left side seems to have a better fit. My right ear's still sore even after JH13's off...I had it on for about 3 hours hoping my ear would adjust to it. If there's no improvement after labot day, I am calling JHAudio for refit or will consider filing the stems!?@.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top