Is the Cowon J3 the 'no compromise' player?
Jul 8, 2011 at 4:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Psychochink

New Head-Fier
So I've been researching around this site and others, and from what I can tell I think it's right to say that if you want the best PMP without compromising on SQ at all, that the Cowon J3 is the one to go for?

I ask because I'm seriously considering picking up a pair of custom IEMs (something from the JH Audio range) in the near future, and there's no point having great earphones if the source isn't as good as it can be.

I guess a follow up question if the answer is 'yes' is whether the J3 benefits much from adding a portable amp - and if so, how much, and what would a halfway decent one be (assuming I don't get carried away, forget that I really shouldn't spend that much money and get the JH-3A/JH-16 Pro combo)?

Jul 8, 2011 at 5:08 AM Post #2 of 7
The Cowon J3 has stellar SQ when used in conjunction with BBE and its plethora of sound enhancements available, the Cowon J3 has no dedicated line-out so in practice your be amplifying the headphone out if used in conjunction with a portable amp.

If your thinking of going down the road of portable amps make sure your source has a line-out otherwise the Cowon J3 will suffice nicely.

Jul 8, 2011 at 8:02 AM Post #3 of 7
The J3 souns great - I shouldn't think you'll need an amp.

Jul 8, 2011 at 10:25 AM Post #4 of 7
hmmmm..

Need an amp? maybe not, but some phones can benefit from amp even on J3.

I have DT1350's and RE262s that both sound better (fuller) when using my J3 with my d4. Also, the line in on my car radio sounds better with the D4 (crappy factory head unit)

The cowon Headphone out is clean enough for a quality amp.

As you can see.. there is a compromise (no line out)

Jul 9, 2011 at 9:49 AM Post #5 of 7
Well sound can be subjective, but technically speaking, Clip+ seem to have the most linear frequency response and lowest output impedance among DAPs and iPod Touch has the lowest THD and stereo crosstalk.

Jul 9, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #7 of 7
I know many that prefer the Sflo2 to the J3 for SQ.  J3 seems more about tweaking your sound rather than being transparent.  No LO either which to me is a SQ compromise.  I love the J3's form factor though.  Sexy thing.  If the J3 and Sflo2 swapped internals I'd buy one yesterday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back